★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

Yesterday, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangutanKungfu View Post
Hard to argue with the Vita as the premium RPG machine - though iOS isn't bad! That said, not sure I would get one so near the end of its cycle. I have fallen for the Switch. It may just be Zelda for now, but the idea of playing games from the virtual console with proper controls is really appealing. Still got the phone and tablet for RPGs and point'n'clicks, but a Switch for Mega Man, Metroid, etc - it's very tempting. And proper Fire Emblem!

I imagine FE Heroes is pretty good if you are already familiar with the series, but the fan service passes by this Sega and Sony guy. Really enjoying the Sword Art Online F2P, however. Not felt any need to sink a single penny into it yet - which feels mean as it's really quite decent, especially if you like the show.
Yeah, it's weird. I fell out of love with Nintendo a while ago. I think the peak of my love was probably during the GBA's life. I'm sure if I hadn't sold my DS, I would have enjoyed it as well. But that's when iOS fell into my life. But now, with the ability to stream my PS4 through the Vita, it's incredible thinking that I'll be able to play FFXV, FF Type=0 HD, and WoFF on the Vita, but have it be my main saves. If Nintendo could offer me Final Fantasy on top of the Dragon Quests and Monster Hunters, I probably would be able to find a place for the Switch. But man, without main FF games coming to it, I doubt I'd have time to play it anyway. It's probably easier on my pocketbook anyway, since I'd only be interested in Zelda and Metroid (if a Prime-like experience ever surfaces). Other than those, Nintendo's DQ11 plans for the 3DS look amazing. But again, I can't really justify buying a new console for one game. But I can't wait to watch others have a blast with both DQ11 and the Switch. I bet it'll be fun! I'd just be happy to get a NES Classic if they'd ever ship more.

TeamShides
@curtneedsaride
MHFU - Shides

Last edited by curtisrshideler; Yesterday at 10:35 AM.
Yesterday, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisrshideler View Post
Yeah, it's weird. I fell out of love with Nintendo a while ago. I think the peak of my love was probably during the GBA's life. I'm sure if I hadn't sold my DS, I would have enjoyed it as well. But that's when iOS fell into my life. But now, with the ability to stream my PS4 through the Vita, it's incredible thinking that I'll be able to play FFXV, FF Type=0 HD, and WoFF on the Vita, but have it be my main saves. If Nintendo could offer me Final Fantasy on top of the Dragon Quests and Monster Hunters, I probably would be able to find a place for the Switch. But man, without main FF games coming to it, I doubt I'd have time to play it anyway. It's probably easier on my pocketbook anyway, since I'd only be interested in Zelda and Metroid (if a Prime-like experience ever surfaces). Other than those, Nintendo's DQ11 plans for the 3DS look amazing. But again, I can't really justify buying a new console for one game. But I can't wait to watch others have a blast with both DQ11 and the Switch. I bet it'll be fun! I'd just be happy to get a NES Classic if they'd ever ship more.
I think that's the main difference for me: I have never owned any Nintendo consoles before, so it opens up a whole new library of games to me, famously excellent games, which is very exciting. If you had owned a series of Nintendo consoles before, then you've only got the early Switch titles to get excited about - and let's face it, there isn't that much. Xenoblade 2, Zelda and, eventually, a Fire Emblem game. Elder Scrolls, I suppose, if you're stretching. Still, when the games are 60 a pop, you only need two or three to begin with.

Not giving up iOS though - what a library we have now!

2017 GOTY nominations: TBC

Yesterday, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangutanKungfu View Post

Not giving up iOS though - what a library we have now!
Until the next OS update. Lol
Yesterday, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankrio View Post
Yep Dankrio we will be saying goodbye to a good many games I'm afraid
Anything older for sure unless it's been properly updated
Isn't it anything 32 bit will be gone?
Yesterday, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankrio View Post
That is sadly so true - but I'm still on iOS 9 and not updating any time soon. Need a VERY good reason to do so.

2017 GOTY nominations: TBC
Yesterday, 05:16 PM
If you're an RPG lover and don't own both a Vita and a 3DS, you're seriously missing out. Vita more for archival and cross-platform stuff, but depending on your tolerance for moe, you might find a lot of decent original stuff, too.
Yesterday, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Musgrave View Post
If you're an RPG lover and don't own both a Vita and a 3DS, you're seriously missing out. Vita more for archival and cross-platform stuff, but depending on your tolerance for moe, you might find a lot of decent original stuff, too.
I just wish Square-Enix and Sony would release a North American/Europe version of the four Chaos Rings games either on cart or digitally for the Vita. I'd be happy to buy it again and not have to worry about them breaking and disappearing.