★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
09-13-2017, 02:37 PM
Works perfect on the iphone 6s here too
09-13-2017, 02:59 PM
I just started and I'm wondering how important rerolling is.

09-13-2017, 05:39 PM
Okay, I've been playing this for most of the day and I've really, really enjoyed it so far. On the one hand I can't totally fault Eli's appraisal because the game is unquestionably freemium to the hilt and if you're really averse to this stuff then I can understand it putting you off: on the other hand, again, I've been playing this for most of the day and running my iPad almost permanently plugged in to the charger. I'm even getting used to the controls, though they're still not as user-friendly as I'd like.

But yeah, none of the freemium stuff has remotely hindered me in any way. I've earned enough currency to pull a bunch of heroes with no trouble at all, plus a few weapons for them; I've gone through most of two chapters of the game and a bunch of side stories (every three- or four-star hero has their own little side mission chain), and I've played all the training events - even tried co-op a couple of times, which seems pretty fun. If there's any kind of energy system in here it hasn't once stopped me from playing.

I could be wrong but I am guessing that if there's a paywall it's going to be the increasing cost of upgrades - the one timer I've seen is a literal money tree for basic currency, run like a clicker which you have to keep checking in on to "upgrade" and increase your returns. And the couple of major upgrades I managed to do used a lot of resources, so yeah, I could believe there's a pool of molasses up ahead if I don't pay out actual money. I hope not, but, y'know. And I'd definitely prefer it if someone ripped this off for a premium title.

Even so, I think Eli's doing it a disservice. So far this is miles ahead of virtually any other F2P title Squenix have put out on iOS, period, and even if it does inevitably take a nosedive later on I've still had a tremendous amount of fun just playing solidly today for several hours. I would be cautious recommending it - it really is quite shameless with how it's layered freemium mechanics all the way down - but I would certainly say give it a shot if you think you might like it, and that is not meant to damn it with faint praise. Definitely not uninstalling this just yet.
09-13-2017, 05:47 PM
^^^ Haven’t gotten as far as you but do have to say I really love the gameplay. The shmup/RPG mix is just a ton of fun. Hopefully by you’re right about not requiring much in the way of actual IAPs.

My biggest problem with these games, even if you don’t need to pay, is the inundation of menus and systems that come along with it.

Regardless, I’m enjoying it too much to let it go for now.

And can a just voice my one biggest pet peeve with F2P games? The freaking long ass “tutorials” that are basically showing you all the F2P mechanics. Urghhh... I hate them.

Anyway, definitely still recommend checking this out if you can stomach all the baggage.

Last edited by anthony78; 09-13-2017 at 05:50 PM.
09-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Oh no way I played Kings Knight all the time as a kid on my NES. Pretty wild to see it get a mobile game sequel like 30 years later.
09-13-2017, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony78 View Post
My biggest problem with these games, even if you dont need to pay, is the inundation of menus and systems that come along with it.
This is my problem with most f2p games nowadays. They might be completely fair and unrestrictive, but the UI and just all the crap is so overwhelming it's a major turnoff. It's exhausting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingdongfootball View Post
Oh no way I played Kings Knight all the time as a kid on my NES. Pretty wild to see it get a mobile game sequel like 30 years later.
Holy crap, I didn't realize King's Knight was a real game back in the day. I thought they invented it as a fake classic game in the world of Final Fantasy XV just for that game. It's way cooler that it was real.

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA
09-13-2017, 06:29 PM
Hit me up! 17796357877
09-13-2017, 07:30 PM
I must be one impatient SOB because I can't even get through all the tutorials. I'm completely turned off with all the Cray Cray. Deleted
09-13-2017, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Jalapeno View Post
I must be one impatient SOB because I can't even get through all the tutorials. I'm completely turned off with all the Cray Cray. Deleted
Deleted after 25 freemium ware turned me off.
09-13-2017, 07:44 PM
Had some issues after putting a lot more time in
Just the black screen freeze here and there
Needs a fix like all ftp square games when they first drop
Do love the style of the game
Landed a legendary Shapur a min ago stoked about that