• Publisher: Rubicon
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 123.1 MB
  • Version: 2.5
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: 14 man-years in the making by a BAFTA nominated studio, Combat Monsters takes the card battle genre to new heights.

We've married up the best bits of CCG games - the deck building and strategizing, with the best bits of RPG games - the fighting, to bring you a genuine evolution in fantasy card gaming.

AppsZoom - 91% - "An outstanding fantasy tactics game"

Build your dream battle deck from the many hundreds of available cards, pick a hero and enter the arena. Deploy your monsters to good advantage, then buff them with magical spells and equipment. Maneuvre and fight, and when the time is right overwhelm your hapless foes for glorious victory!

"Magic: The Gathering meets Battle Chess" - TechRaptor.net

Core card types are monsters, equipment (weapons, shields, etc.), spells (instant effects) and runes (permanent effects). Timely deployment of cool combos can turn a battle at any moment.

There are many different races of Combat Monsters, each with their own special horde of warriors, mages and archers. Each race has a racial bonus that has a big effect on how you round out your deck, so plan well.

Every Combat Monster has a basic attack move and most of them also have an additional activated special ability, along with various power and defence stats that can be modified by equipping and armoring and playing runes and spells.

PixelVolt - 90% - "Amazing"

Want single player? We got you covered with a massive campaign. Play against a variety of AI opponents who are only too happy to throw all sorts of nastiness your way, at ever increasing difficulty levels.

When you've finished that, there is an endlessly replayable skirmish mode, where you can battle up to five computer opponents at once. Or you can at least try...!

GameWoof - 90% - "Rubicon knocks it out of the park again with this title."

Want multiplayer? We got you covered there too, with both realtime and asynchronous play options. Meet up online and smash the world. A full matchmaking system keeps it fair and provides a perfect level of challenge for all ability levels and collection sizes.

AppStoreArcade - 90% - "I wish that there were more hours in the day so I could play more Combat Monsters."

Coming soon in the next free update: Card trading and yet more new cards.

Join our dedicated forum for play tips, help, replays, tournaments and pleasant chat?
http://www.rubicondev.com/forum

NB: Additional cards are accrued at a good pace, but there are iap's available to buy extra booster packs even faster. This game is not designed to hoover your wallet like some others though, and can be completed without spending money or waiting for artificial delays.

The term we use is "pay what you want". It's free to put that statement to the test, so please check it out?

Sanuku's comments:
Quote:
NZ Release info :

The Game is out in New Zealand. It should be out in US at about 11 PM EST and Europe at around 12 AM UK time. Size of the app is 78.5 MB.

Price in NZ is Free

Requirements :
Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad Wi-Fi (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi (4th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (4th generation), iPad mini Wi-Fi, iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPod touch (4th generation) and iPod touch (5th generation). This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Deploy, destroy, dethrone introducing Combat Monsters, our biggest game ever!

Combat Monsters are not your everyday monsters. They will follow your commands to vanquish the enemy or die a fiery death!

Play for FREE against friends right in front of you or on the other side of the globe. Devise strategies that make the most of your deck: will you overrun your adversary with dozens of bloodthirsty creatures? Defend your Hero at all costs with healing spells? Invest heavily in runes and concentrate on a few high-powered cards?

With 132 monsters, 70 weapons, 28 shields, 42 spells, 22 runes, 12 Heroes and 120+ maps to choose from, theres no end to the challenge in Combat Monsters.

After completing the campaign, its time to join the carnage online with up to SIX PLAYERS on a single board or two player pass & play. No friends? No problem! We included a Quick Battle skirmish mode that will get you a game in no time at all.

Play on PC, iOS or even that other platform with the green robot. Just log-in and play we made sure your account works on all supported devices. You can also do battle with fandroids and PC owners and show them whos boss :)

Combat Monsters is a unique combination of collectable card games and tactical combat 9 man-years in the making. If youre a fan of CCGs and/or turn-based tactical strategy games, we made this game for you.

Can you beat all the achievements? Will you be the one to acquire the first legendary card?

Download Combat Monsters today and find out!

NB: Your game progress is managed on our servers, so you will need an internet connection.
iPhone Screenshots

10-01-2014, 02:25 AM
Useful so far, thanks.

I don't get this always online sentiment though tbh. All games in this and similar genres need a server to keep your coins and collection safe, which has an additional benefit that you can then play on other platforms with the same account.

I appreciate this is not as smooth as not requiring an online connection, but it's a mobile phone and WoW, Magic online and many etc's seem to get customers without that particular gripe. I get it won't be universally liked, but there has to be more than that going wrong.

Would a middle ground of needing occasional connections to sync up be any better? We can do that at a push with some major redesign.
10-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
Useful so far, thanks.

I don't get this always online sentiment though tbh. All games in this and similar genres need a server to keep your coins and collection safe, which has an additional benefit that you can then play on other platforms with the same account.

I appreciate this is not as smooth as not requiring an online connection, but it's a mobile phone and WoW, Magic online and many etc's seem to get customers without that particular gripe. I get it won't be universally liked, but there has to be more than that going wrong.

Would a middle ground of needing occasional connections to sync up be any better? We can do that at a push with some major redesign.
Middle ground would work. If someone really doesn't give two bits about the multiplayer aspect, the Human vs. Human, you can store info locally from your single player adventures and arena battles and then have it load up when net connection happens again. Depends on our ROI, though, like you said, would take some major redesign... but, if you are looking to pick this back up, maybe some pushing on this would be worth it?

Combat Monsters: Dungeons with a full singleplayer, with some lite roguelike, random map generated stuff, find cards in a very basic dungeon that has the same graphics as the battles, with rewards that benefit your online side as well...

I know, I know, that is proposing a MAJOR addition, but you are wanting ideas, right?

I would also recommend, since this is such a deep game, creating a newsletter bi-weekly, something that folks sign up for, that talk about characters, maybe some fan fiction, some useful strategies, etc. that draw folks into the game; keep the FB page hopping with bi-weekly or more posts, have links to replays, if that is possible, have top players share strategies, profile different characters, etc. run contests on the page that say "Hey, everyone who has LIKED the page, we will give away 300 coins every Friday, etc." Anything to drum up interest, you know?

Last edited by brothamannp11911; 10-02-2014 at 10:12 PM.

10-03-2014, 02:02 AM
That's all doable.

I do like the newsletter idea. To be honest, we almost did that then didn't bother at the last minute as GLWG had this and under 1% of people signed up for it. Different game type though so maybe a ball drop.
11-08-2014, 07:25 AM
Need help. Lost my user/player-name (not my password).
Oddly, game allows me to reset my password, but cant email me my user/player-name

Rubicon, anything u can do?
11-08-2014, 07:31 AM
Your password isn't stored in a human readable format so even if you told us what it was it wouldn't allow us to match to anything.

However, if you put your email address in, we could probably use that. Mail it to me at paul@rubicondev.com and I'll see if the server guy can rustle something up for you.
11-08-2014, 07:42 AM
Hi

That was fast!
I have sent you the email I used when i created my account to your rubicondev email.
05-01-2015, 07:45 PM
http://www.rubicondev.com/blog/combat-monsters-3-0-reinforcements/

This thread hasn't been that active on here, but here's an article on the next update. Anyone who hasn't played the game should really try it. It is very fun and IMO is better than hearthstone.
05-01-2015, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markaman View Post
It is very fun and IMO is better than hearthstone.
It is not comparable to Hearthstone (Hearthstone is a classic CCG, whereas CM is a TBS that uses cards to represent units, equipment and spells visually before they are played), and you might do both games a disservice with the comparison.

That said, Combat Monsters is a great game, and the new update sounds absolutely monstrouos. Tripling the amount of playable effects by adding another 1200 cards is unheard of! (And while Rubicon can do this more easily, since their units, spells and equipment follow very standardized themes and almost never offer unique, non-recurring effects - nearly all cards are varieties of other cards and recurring themes, with FAR more iterative effects and mechanics than any CCG - it is still danged impressive!)

I hope it does much better this time around.

Former editor in chief of teknikapan.se (due for an eventual relaunch)
Vocalist of Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona