So... what's keeping you from getting the Galaxy SIII?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by KiddToKmart, May 31, 2012.

?

1. Happy with my iPhone's look/feel/size/weight.

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Happy on the iOS and the AppStore - no intention of switching over to Android.

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  3. Strong brand loyalty - Apple, or bust.

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. I'm getting a SIII

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011

2. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Cost. 6-700 us dollars for a mobile phone is RIDICULOUS be it s3 or 4s. Much rather use a dumb phone and an iPad.

3. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
  4. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    This will be fun. It's expensive, it has hardware that's beyond unnecessary for a phone and still manages to lag (although only occasionally).

5. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I don't see how those threads are fanboyism personally everyone on the site has an apple device and a lot android devices as well, I think the S3 is an amazing bit of mobile tech it's probably better than my main PC, While it is overkill for a phone and I would have preferred a slightly smaller screen it's exactly the same as a 4s price wise at least in the UK.

T3 compared the S3 to the 4S yesterday but it will probably take iphone 5 to be a good comparison.

Link to T3

I came very close to buying one if it was released at the time I probably would have truthfully.

6. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Hey Kidd, can you add to the poll "I'd rather eat dirt than own anything from Samsung". Thanks!

7. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    @Teknikal
    I guess you haven't seen the back and forth wars in the other threads. Each side firmly planted in the sand.

I personally feel to each his own, however they believe if you are not with them they definitely believe they need to argue without any objectivity at all to convince you otherwise.

8. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    If that's there it passed me by although I do see a lot of that type of stuff on Engadget and elsewhere so maybe I filter it out without thinking.

9. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

It's the same for most anything - it's stubbornness and ignorance to the fact that other people can't agree to like the same thing as me, so they are wrong.

Personally, I've been a fan of iOS products for years only because they were always at the forefront (in my mind) of the Player/tablet market. However, I feel that Android now has a lot to offer and am making the jump to get a new Android based player to replace my iPod Touch. I'm not sure if it's just me, but my iPod Touch has been REALLY laggy with the new iOS 5 version and I'm just not enjoying it any longer. I still love my iPad so get the best of both worlds.

Back to topic though, I appreciate any piece of new tech and think that phone looks really good. Won't be getting it since I don't have a phone *gasp*. The screen size and super AMOLED display must be a wonder to look at. Very cool.

10. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Pretty good comparison, but it doesn't always make sense, at least in my opinion.
    Firstly, they praise both screens, which would normally result in a draw, then pick the S3. Just because it's bigger? That's personal preference.
    Furthermore, the most annoying point was power. Yes, the S3 is more powerful, but who cares? The 4S is more fluid (even they mention lags on the S3), handles beautiful looking games and does everything just fine.

11. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Mostly cost, not eligible to get one on contract yet.

12. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Exactly my reason... Why pay so much for a phone?!

13. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
  14. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    You can have the best hardware in the world but you'll still get lag and unresponsiveness with a crappy OS.

15. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I actually doubt it has any lag at all, T3 is a very good gadget magazine but they are always quite pro Apple the fact they let the S3 win speaks volumes, also I've been watching lot's videos of it as I was close to buying one and from what I've seen it's like butter and I really don't believe the S3 would lag when my own Samsung phone doesn't.

I'm not that interested with it being compared to the 4s though I want to see how Apple reacts with the iPhone 5, I think it's a good thing for everyone that Samsung is pushing Apple to improve specs it can only mean better mobiles all round

16. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Yeah, I'm curious about Apple's reaction aswell, but the only thing I really hope is that they don't change the screen's ratio. Anything but that. :|

17. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Lol. Why would I get an Android Device when I have a Windows Phone?

18. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Because no current window's phones have microSD cards for a start. The space limitation was why I discounted them, apart from that they do look like they could have potential.

Also read a few about rumours Microsoft won't be supporting the Mango phones when they shortly push out the next version. That didn't appeal me to buy one either.

19. BlackJacketGames

BlackJacketGames Well-Known Member

May 24, 2012
    Indie developer
    Portlandia
    Android devices will always have a laggy interface. A former Google intern got in trouble a few months (a year?) ago when he said publicly that Android wasn't designed for a touch interface and it doesn't put that touch input as a high priority on an OS level. iOS on the other hand has 60hz input at the least and it makes everything feel much smoother.

I'm not an Apple fanboy, I can't stand my Mac or OSX, I think Win 7 is much better, especially to develop on. However, their devices have a great interface, and while there are Android devices that have some better hardware features, I have yet to see one that isn't laggy compared to iOS. Every generation I'm hopeful, and every generation is laggy.

20. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Actually, a phone or two had microSD expansion slot. You're right, though, none of the new ones do. That'll change when WP8 (Apollo) is released.
    Haha, which one do you have? Lumia 710 here.