400k units of Jump Birdy Jump

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Ovogame, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Hi,

I just wanted to share some numbers with you. Recently I've done a sale on Jump birdy Jump (free for a week and I didn't paid any 3rd parties like FAAD). The results are pretty good with 400k downloads worldwide (200k for JBJ & 200k for JBJ HD). I ended up with loads of reviews (about 2.5k) 95% of them being 5s and 4s (so the game IS really good, you should try it :) ). My sales have been good since (hopefully this will stay like that a bit longuer).

The only failure was my very low number in the U.S. Somehow, I didn't get enough exposure in the U.S. Shame, that is the bigest market.

Financially, it was worth doing it.

JC

2. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

After setting it to free are you now seeing more sales due to all of the reviews?

3. Ovogame

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Yes, I'm seeing more sales but not sure if it is because of the reviews. My guess is that the game is more exposed in the "Customer also bought" suggestion from Apple.

JC

4. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Nice one, JC. Glad you're finally getting something out of the game - it certainly deserves it.

5. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta
    congrats on that campaign! Especially without having to pay those services to do it for you. Btw, what % increase in sales have you seen since you're back as paid?

6. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    So, basically you just changed the price without telling anyone ?
    Like others said, so well deserved :)

7. Ovogame

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    First off, you need a bit of background: I'm not successfull on the app store (but still way more successfull than most dev). Let's say that the app store is bringing about 30% to 50% of my income...

During the sale, my income increase a bit because my other apps get boosted by all these eyesballs. After the sale, my income was x6 for a couple of weeks and now is about x3. I guess it will be back to x1 in another couple of weeks.

JC

8. Ovogame

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Actually, I had a deal with a French site, I did put a line in my App desc and they told their audience about the promotion. As they are the biggest French site they really boosted my exposure in France (I was #1 free app on the iPhone and iPad french store). So, it costed me nothing for an enormous exposure in France.

JC

9. artcue

artcue Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Gamedeveloper, Co-Founder of Artcue
    Vienna, Austria
    Congratulations! You deserve it - and it is a valuable info for all of us. Would you mind sharing the french site? Cheers!

10. Ovogame

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    http://www.iphon.fr/

They've got an app on itunes and a lot of follower on twitter.
    Obviously, like any other big site, it is hard to get in touch with them directly.

JC

11. atum_ramirez

atum_ramirez Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    game designer
    I actually saw you game a while back featured somewhere, I wonder where. Good to know you made the big 400K. The game looks really fun, I'll be sure to check it out.

Thanks for sharing the good news, a bit of hope is always welcomed :)

12. fugufish

fugufish Active Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Developer
    congratulations! made me go straight back to coding

13. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Interesting, thanks for sharing your experiances.

I used to always wonder why someone would release their app for free for a day but I can see how it helps if you get some good reviews and notice from it.

14. Ovogame

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    If like me, you don't put much promotion behind it, 1 day isn't enought. 5 seems the most optimal number. So, robots have to detect your price drop and advertise about it and people get a chance to download it.

JC

15. mberg

mberg Member

Congratulations! I have seen Birdy Jump a couple of times on different places, but have never come around to try it. It looks really good. Will definitely pick it up soon! =)

16. mOOncOw interactive

mOOncOw interactive Active Member

Jun 28, 2011
    software & app developer
    Haarlem, NL
    Congrats from me too! Way to go for most of us other developers ...

I take it the 400k include the Lite version ;-)?

17. Ovogame

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    I never said I sold 400k units, unfortunatly :)

Like I said in the original post, I had 400k download during a FREE promotion (5 days). This number was for both my apps: Jump Birdy Jump and Jump Birdy Jump HD (200k each).

For info, the Lite version has been downloaded 50k times (witch isn't that great).

JC

18. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Don't feel bad, "lite" versions lost their appeal a long time ago... Probably about the same time you started being able to get almost any full game for free if you just watch out for it. :)

19. smashdev2011

smashdev2011 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Near San Fran
    Interesting... so are the sales increase persisting even now?

20. Ovogame

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    It isn't as good as the initial bump but yes, it is still much better than before.

JC