Releasing app to all worldwide itunes stores?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Appvism, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    Hi all,

I guess this question is directly related to UK devs specifically, although any input back would be appreciated, but i wanted to ask about releasing apps on apple itunes in "other countries"... (It's kind of tax-related also).

Currently, i've just released my first app but have only selected the itunes store countries where "Apple shall collect and remit to the competent tax authorities". I want to ask what do you do if you want to release your app to all other countries outside this list? Specifically, in terms of tax forms and self assesmment?

For example, not included in this list is Brazil, China, Japan and New Zealand to name a few. Would I need to fill in the relevant tax forms separately for these countries? Or can this be done and declared via the UK tax self assessment form at the end of the financial year?

I guess given the choice I would like to release my apps to all itunes store worldwide but am not sure what steps i need to take.

Any feedback welcomed!

Thanks,

2. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    #2 ThreeCubes, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
    Hi, the money all comes from apple so you don't have to worry about whether the person who paid them, it could be from Timbuktu or the moon. It's only apple that pay you so base your self assessment on what apple pay you not who paid them.

3. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    I'm in UK and have mine available in all countries and you don't really need to worry about any special extra tax forms.

You don't even need an Employer Identification Number from the IRS, as I presume Apple has a tax agreement for paying to UK devs etc. (note: you do need an EIN for OUYA dev as I recently discovered, but that's just a quick phone call away)

I seem to remember though that there are some extra tax withholdings in Japan that you can get paid from Apple if you fill out some specific forms, but I never bothered (has anyone? is it simple?). You'll just get paid a bit less for sales in Japan.

Mine gets paid to a company account though (so is subject to Corporation Tax), though as ThreeCubes says for self assessment you can just consider it as earnings from Apple in the US.

4. Appvism

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    Ah i ser, so essentially it is fair to assume you may as well just release on all itunes stores worldwide?

I thought because of the separation in list of countries with regards to the sale tax, something else may have been needed...

Thanks for the replies back!

5. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    I did the form a long time ago. It is all bilingual, so everything in Japanese is repeated in English. The form looks intimidating, but once I started it was quite easy to do. If i remember correctly, I just scanned the completed form and emailed it to Apple.

6. Appvism

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    So is Japan the only country a separate tax form is required? Also, do you have a link to this form?

I'm thinking i may as well select all worldwide stores if its just a case of reporting all money received (if any that is!) from Apple as my income in my self assessment form.

If i need to fill in other tax related forms then i will need to consider if releasing it in that country is worth the hassle or not...

Thanks,

7. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    #7 DemonJim, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
    Can't actually link to the form as it's an embedded web form inside iTunes Connect (so auto-fills some fields like your address).

You find this form if you go to "Contracts, Tax and Banking" in iTC and go to your paid apps contract. Click on Tax Info and it says in tiny writing at the bottom, "For developers residing outside of Japan who want to sell apps on the Japan App Store, learn more about optional Japanese tax forms."

Edit: In (sort of) answer to your first question - it does look like apart from the standard form everyone has to fill out for the US, only developers in Australia and Canada have extra forms they have to fill out.

8. Appvism

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    Ah ok, i recall seeing that link/paragraph in itunes connect.

Thanks