Endless Arcade Games with Combat?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Exact-Psience, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #1 Exact-Psience, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    Hi guys... I have been looking at my games on both the 4S and the iPad Mini (actually looking for ones to delete for Asphalt 8) and realized that some of the games I enjoyed too much are endless arcade-type games that actually inludes a combat system.

That said, i am looking for titles i may have missed or deleted before. Here are some criteria of the games i am looking for (sorry if it's too specific, but it helps me on my search... THANKS!):

1. Must control only 1 character.

2. Must be in third person, where you can see your character, and NOT first person like Attack of the Spooklings or Pocket Ninjas.

3. Main character whom you control must be a being and not a vehicle.

4. Must have an arcade feel to it.

5. Must be ENDLESS. Or at least feel endless like in the case of Gunslugs (random areas make it feel somewhat an endless game, especially with the score system at the end of each run)

6. No runners. If it is a runner, it must be more combat-oriented and less of a runner (e.g. Crazy Bill, where speed doesnt scale, but moves forward for progression)

7. No Dual Stick games. Not even a 360-degree stick + button setup like Quadropus Rampage or Minigore's auto-aim mode.

8. No SHMUPs (because they're a genre of their own already)

So here are some of the games i already have on my folder with these types of games, but i want more :):

Crazy Bill
    Slayin
    Knightmare Tower
    Scorched Monster
    Game of Watchcraft
    Spellsword
    Muffin Knight
    Super Crate Box
    Mutants
    Zombieville 1
    Gunslugs

Thanks!!!

2. #2 Connector, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    Can you clarify the word "endless"?

I mean if a game has levels, is it endless?

Sometimes people say endless means no level or stage selects, some say games like Polara are endless runners.

Some of the games you mentioned have levels I think, just wanted to see what you define as "endless".

A strict interpretation of endless means starting from the beginning and will never end until you die. Do games with clear levels and stages count here?

3. You also say no endless runners but combat ones are ok.

Does a game like Blood Roofs count?

4. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #4 awp69, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
    The currently free Ninja Striker is a fun little game.

Oh, forgot an obvious one: Punch Quest! (Obviously a runner but pretty concentrated on combat)

5. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Is melee combat ok? Combo Crew is pretty good, has levels and an endless mode, unlockable moves, and is going to be updated with a Capcom character

6. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Having levels are not endless, but i think my definition can be loose because of Gunslugs and Scorched Monsters. I just played scorched monsters and just realized it isnt endless at all.

Polara is initially NOT an endless runner, until you unlock the endless levels. But of course it doesnt have combat so it doesnt belong here.

For the sake of the list, what im looking for are games with an endless mode at least... I guess some exemptions can be made. Im just making a folder with these great arcade games that i wholly enjoyed, and am looking for something similar.

7. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Blood Roofs lack the arcade feel to it.

8. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I've had a bit of fun with Ninja Striker since release, but it's far from being endless.

Yeah, i can add punch quest to the list. It's combat heavy, and it isnt all about gaining speed to ramp up difficulty.

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Good call. Forgot it had an endless mode, and the single screen does give it an arcade feel.

10. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Don't know if you've tried - Hellgore. But I think it's combat/endless type waves of enemies. See what you think. Quite an unknown game, but cool.

11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Yeah, sorry about that, forgot that it was stage based. Would be cool if an endless mode was added though.

12. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #12 undeadcow, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
    Here are some recommendations, a few are older games that were really great at the time but have dulled some with time or indie developers resorting to ads... still worth a thought.

Mutant Fridge Mayhem is a 2D brawler with campaigns that have bonus endless rounds.
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=170173

Wispin is an older 2D combat app with a unique color matching scheme. It's got separate iPhone/iPad editions and the iPhone's not 5G widescreen but still worth it. I just realized Wispin is by the same people at Mutant Fridge Mayhem.
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=73566

Zombie Glider Free is an iPhone only (but retina) app where you control a zombie on a glider and have to control his speed to dodge arrows or vertical height to pick-up and eat (aka combat) villagers; it's a lot of fun if you can overlook the indie graphics. I have a previous edition that's much better without the ads in the currently available one, but the gameplay is fun.
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=93704
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zombie-glider-free/id445300647?mt=8

ZombieRunnerz is a good runner game with 16-bit era graphics and zany power-ups. The levels are hard (there's an endless Challenge mode). It's older so non-retina with still present OpenFeint integration and advertisements after levels; still worth checking out. There's a lite/trial edition to try.
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=96861

13. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Wow... that looks nice, but it isnt on the dang PH appstore. Thanks

14. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Nice, thanks for reminding me of Zombie Runnerz. have to re-download that using the US account (i think LOL).

Good games, but I think Mutant Fridge Mayhem and Wispin have some sort of vstick controls, so im not including them inthe folder. Thanks UC!

15. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Also, look out for - Zombie Shock (paid) or Zombie Shock Again (free) both same, but one freemium type.

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Nice... Almost forgot about this!

17. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Mutants, by Angry Bugs.

18. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    There are 3 versions of - Hellgore in the UK app store. One is paid, the other is lite, and the 3rd is survival (survival & lite combined make the full paid version) so you could downland the two free versions to test out... but unfortunately i think the paid version has gone back to the original price. I got it for free during limited time. I will let you know if it goes free again.. or you can keep an eye on it yourself.

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Cool... Watching videos of it and i like how you get to use different weapons, ride choppers, etc.

20. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Slambots is endless and has combat, fun too :)