Optimizing an ipad2 for gaming?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by forsakenxe, Dec 27, 2015.

1. forsakenxe

forsakenxe Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Hey guys,

My family has an iPad 2 laying around and we want to give it to my girlfriend for a present tomorrow.

I got her into playing hearthstone some months ago and that is for now one of the only games she plays.

Sadly as I tried to play it on a fresh IOS installation for testing it crashes on a regular bases. I tried the following tricks already:

- shut off all notifications.
    - reduce transparency.
    - turn off location services.
    - deleting all apps except hearthstone.
    - turn off location services.

I read about multiple problems for hearthstone players on ipad2 so maybe the device is just way too old (which I assume anyways).

Any more tips?

I am running it on iOS 9.2 and would prefer to stay on it as it has more support for other apps than gaming which will be using, too.

Also: any recommendations on games that still run well on ipad2?

Thanks for helping out :)

2. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Probably killed it with the installation of iOS 9.2. I have an iPhone 6 and iPad Air and will not upgrade them to iOS 9 as I've seen firsthand and read plenty of complaints about iOS 9 slowing devices that aren't of the current generation (iPhone 6s & 6s+). My wife upgraded the iOS on her iPhone 6 to 9.whatever and now has problems with her phone that I don't with my iPhone 6 on 8.4. My brother also put iOS 9 on his 5s and has all kinds of problems.

3. bhoylhogro

bhoylhogro Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2014
    iPad 2 struggles to run on newer iOS versions like 8 or 9.

If there's any consolation, my iPad 2 on iOS 6 ran Hearthstone with a sub-optimal frame rate. I prefer to have my existing and supported apps run smoothly than updating my iPad.

4. forsakenxe

forsakenxe Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Thanks both of you.

It was already on 8.4 and websites said that there is only about 1-2% worse performance between the two ioses. Sure thing iOS 7 or 6 would be better, but there is no going back now, is there?

5. Fangbone

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Not sure. Thought I read somewhere that people do upload earlier iOS versions into the Internet. So if that's the case would just have to find one that you want and make sure that it is what it says it is.

6. HarryWarden

HarryWarden Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Is it generally best to stay with whatever iOS version your device comes with (not updating 6S past iOS 9.Whatever the last 9 update is)?

7. HarryWarden

HarryWarden Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    What kind of problems is your wife having with her 6?

8. Fangbone

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Well just yesterday her battery said 26% then it was instantly down to 0% without even opening any apps or using any feature. My brother has the exact same problem with his 5s. I'm on 8.4 and have never seen this happen and I use my phone for a lot of gaming. They, on the other hand use their phones casually.

9. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    That's disappointing... I heard ios9 was supposed to run better than ios8 due to optimizations in the code.