Forum section for comments on FP articles?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by SkyMuffin, Jun 12, 2011.

1. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I've noticed ModMyi doing this--they have a forum dedicated to threads for articles posted on the front page, where users can discuss it. I think it would be nice if TA had the same thing-- it would create a little more dialogue and activity.

2. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I was thinking about this the other day as well. I don't comment much on the front page so hopefully they move it to the forums.

3. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Ya there arent nearly as many comments on a FP article as a forum thread!

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Aren't the existing comments technically threads dedicated to discussing the front page articles?

5. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Oh, I suppose so. It's just that not all forum users post comments on the front page. And usually, long comment threads don't continue on as much as a forum thread does. Not sure why.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    All articles relating to specific games have their own threads already, the game threads... as for general iOS articles, I often see someone has started a thread on the same issue somewhere on the forum, it's just a matter of linking to them from the articles or somehow gathering them into one, easy to locate place.

7. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Yes, they function like threads but they're not part of the regular forums. One of the first things I check whenever I hop on here is the User CP for the new subscribed threads, which isn't going to help w/ the article comments. Plus, there's a lot more spam and junk in the article comments, which I'd like to avoid. And while it's true that the games have their own threads, I'm not sure if discussion of the frontpage article warrants posting in the game's thread, which is normally used to discuss gameplay/suggestions/bugs/etc. That being said, I can't be sure that threads for each article would actually be used enough to make them worth creating. It'd be silly to dedicate a separate forum for this purpose only to find that each thread has an average of 1-2 responses.

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    What else would you talk about other than the game in question? The review perhaps, or maybe the development team... both of which are suitable topics for the game thread.