Universal Dangerous (a.k.a Null Space)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by violentv, Dec 20, 2011.

1. FRS

FRS Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Oh, I'm not running out of locks (I fly a cruiser), but it seems to me that by just switching targets (among those I have already locked) that my wingmen and even my own missles/turrets don't switch targets, especially if I'm orbiting another ship but targeting someone else.

It's not a big deal, just didn't quite work the way I expect it to.

2. binaryhelix

binaryhelix Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Wingmen have their own AI, but you can override it by telling them to attack or aid your current target via the Wing Comm. Also, the way it works now lets you pick a new target for each module. For example, if you have a sensor damp and remote shield recharger in addition to your weapons, you might sensor damp a powerful target to reduce its lock range and buy you time, then remotely repair an ally, and attack different targets with your weapons.

With that said, we're constantly looking for ways to improve the interface and help players manage complex battles better, and maybe one item to consider in a future update is a "fire all weapons" type of button.

3. FRS

FRS Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    I think all of that makes sense, but I really wish that there was somewhere to go to learn the intricacies of everything... Any progress on a manual?

4. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    We've started work on a manual. Hope to finish it next week. :)

5. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Just wanted to say I finally got this game this weekend and the scope of it all really amazes me till now. Like the rest I'm also now waiting for the following updates to enjoy the game to the fullest:
    * Engine sound and thruster graphic corresponding to thruster speed set (no graphic when at a complete stop, max at max thrust, different or brighter color when using afterburners or nanospeed warp) - it's more important to some than you might think :)
    * UI Improvements, Map Improvements (really its too none user friendly right now)
    * Better graphical effects for the various weapons and active modules - avoid solid fills for the effects such as armor fixing and the laser and mass accelerator weapons (better particle fx maybe?). Different graphic representations when you or the enemy is webbed, jammed, gravitybombed, etc. The rule of thumb is - the more visual cues for us the better.
    * Avoid using the portraits everywhere randomly. While we know there are limited resources, I think its even better to not use a portrait (or use generic portraits or even a static portrait) for all generic NPCs and pirates. Seeing your wingman's portrait and worse even Your portrait being used by a generic pirate or NPC is disconcerting at least and removes the immersion at worst.
    * I think its best to focus on the existing aspects of the game right now first than the new features like ship / station boarding. Polish everything to perfection first - then direct your efforts to new things.

Great game - hopefully you guys take it to the next level of design and polish that will blow every game away... :)

6. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    I'm loving this game, but I'm especially loving the in-game music! It's really well done and quite atmospheric. Bravo!

7. gamecomposer

gamecomposer Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009

8. Markwend

Markwend Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Sales
    Newcastle,Australia
    #348 Markwend, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
    G'day first of all, great job on the game can't get enough , the scope of the game is immense, and only 2 of you , Impressive" . Looking foreward to anything you add to the game. Or part 2

This is just a note to get some help with one aspect of the game , I can't seem to complete a HIJACKING mission , OK i web the guy then wait the 750 or so seconds for an AI controlled ship to come and dock ,that's all fine the ship arrives to dock but instead of docking it just keeps on orbiting the webbed ship and doesnt dock," what do u think I'm doing wrong", I'm in a poisiden with 3 webbers t2, Im sucking more power power out of him than skynet would use in a year of attacks against John Connor, with an energy neut t2 and an energy vampire t2 , still can't completely stop the other ship, plus I've held the other ship far longer than the specified seconds , means I can't complete some of the loyalty missions, need that upgrade mmmmm, just a thought , the 750 sec wait seems a bit long , maybe knock it down to say 300 seconds ... :)

Ok I'm 5 cans into a 6 pack been on the game again , just had a new thought creep out of the fog , what about tying in all the missions into one screen , that you can select any mission from , make it an unlockable upgrade from a new faction "hint hint" , plus as a further unlockable , FAST TRAVEL to any sector, I understand traveling early on in the game sets the mood and the tone of the game but after 60 or so hours it can become a bit tedious , with the lack of accurate maps of the short cuts or sectors . Thx guys . No doubt I'll have more to say later cheers and beers:)

Ok im into the second 6 pack now , I'm thinking DANGEROUS 2 , with an option to set let's say mission specific ships to the same speed for a more robust dogfighting experience! , make the ship handle a little more loose ,a bit of angle on the turns ,I don't want to say it ,a bit more like that other game :) , sorry, i feel if your going to have dogfighting u might as well do it right, otherwise the game is perfect , just some more spit an polish and this will be a number 1 series , dont mean to offend guys, i read back there somewhere u liked input ,I know the game needs separate speeds of the ships to function as it does eve style , just an idea , don't even know if it's possible "cheers".

Yours gamingly
    Markwend

PS. I Rated the game 5 stars on App store , for this game needs to be on the front page dammit
    Game of the week at the very least
    C'mon all other members "rate it 5 and leave a review"

9. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    We have plans to address every single one of those suggestions with future updates. We're finishing up the 1.0.8 update which fixes some of the routing and equipment bugs. The plan is to submit it later today. As for doing updates or the boarding feature, it's a toss up at this point.

Thanks! We hope so, too!

Sean Beeson is a god among composers if you ask me. :D

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it!

OK, you'll be happy to know this bug was fixed in 1.0.8 which will hopefully be submitted to Apple today. The wait time is a function of how long it would take the ship normally to get to the other station. The problem with reducing the wait time is that you could do nothing and the commandos would board the hijacked ship before it could dock. Let us know if you have some ideas for improving this mission with that constraint in mind.

I'll drink to that! Our solution to the fast travel idea was the worm holes. Perhaps we could add those routes to the map after you've discovered them.

We definitely love feedback since we want to make as near a perfect game as we humanly can. If I'm understanding you, it sounds like you want a "match speed" type of autopilot which would aid enormously in dogfighting. It's something we've actually considered adding as another autopilot option. Probably when we add the radial menu concept to the autopilots in a future upgrade since we don't want another button to clutter the UI. The radial menu will get rid of all autopilot buttons and condense it all down to one button which opens up the radial menu to pick the autopilot.

Awesome. Thanks, and I couldn't agree with you more!

By the way, we've dropped the price a buck down to $3.99 which is the lowest price yet. The thinking is we'll do a few sales like this until all the updates are in at which point we'll put it back to the regular price. So now's the time to grab Dangerous if you've been on the fence.

10. Markwend

Markwend Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Sales
    Newcastle,Australia
    Thx for the feedback

Great , I'm looking forward to the update. Keep up the good work .

11. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    #351 binaryhelix, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
    Good news, we submitted version 1.0.8 to the app stores (iOS, Mac App Store, Google Play, and Amazon). In the meanwhile, we lowered the price to $3.99 for the mobile versions and $9.99 for the Mac App Store version.

Here's what's new:

Add social page to contacts
    Revise soundtrack links page
    Allow active modules without targets to operate during warp
    Encounter tweaks on Courier and Transport Quests
    Fix bug with ammunition, and show types that are unavailable in ammunition select screen
    Make more friendly units for warp speed in vehicle stats in the market
    Don't auto-aim laser against non-enemies
    Add some ship separation when exiting a gate
    Remove "Alternate Ammo Change" option
    Fix several minor issues with the tutorial
    New shader defaults and don't display unavailable shaders
    Apply shader selection to more objects in scene
    Allow shader and light options to be changed while in space
    Various UI layout tweaks
    Fix flickering rows in ship contacts list
    More consistent treatment of volume on main menu screen
    Fix bug that would create unexplained cargo on player's ship
    Fix bug where wings would not properly "forget" an enemy
    Fix possible situation in Hijacked Quest that prevent being able to finish the Quest
    Fixes for general stability
    Fix ship duplication bug
    Changes to prevent ships from becoming "stuck"

12. Juicebox_R

Juicebox_R Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    I read a post a few pages ago that said something along the lines of the fps part of the game being too complex. Does this mean features such as boarding and walking around are going to be cut until Dangerous 2?

13. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    No, I'd still like to get a decent version of the ship boarding with the existing Dangerous game. We recently did a preliminary prototype, and there will be challenges to make it work on older devices like the 3GS. Mostly low memory problems since the universe has to keep on ticking even when you're fighting on foot.

However, I will say that before we commit fully, we're also exploring adding some form of multiplayer possibly even an MMO. Both the lead developer and I have a strong background in networking, and I have some ideas on how to handle very large battles without lagging. Either the boarding or multiplayer will generate additional interest from players, so I'd love to do both eventually. (But we're definitely not committing to the multiplayer yet. That might have to be a Dangerous 2 thing.)

Hopefully we can open up beta testing of either new feature to the existing players when ready.

14. Dangerous online? Man, thats a dream!

15. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    Good news, version 1.0.8 is now live in the iOS app store!

16. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Awesome news devs ! Congrats on making a great game that really helps me re-live the joys of Elite and then some ! Thanks for the updates. I really hope you guys are making some money.

17. athros

athros Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    DevOps
    Colorado
    Sweet! Another good update! Thanks binaryhelix!

I agree. I really hope you guys are making money on this!

18. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    Unfortunately, not so much. We've sold fewer than 1,200 units on iOS which doesn't come anywhere close to break even as you can imagine. Rather pathetic and embarrassing, really. It's been really tough getting media coverage, so if any of you have friends in media, we'd love your help in getting the word out.

19. athros

athros Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    DevOps
    Colorado
    Do you have promo codes left, just in case the people I hit up want a free copy? I don't want them (I bought the game - worth every penny ;) ) I'll see if I can get them to contact you.

I had no idea that there was so little coverage. I'll let you know who I hit up.

20. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    lmao...

Game not selling well? That sucks! Let me 'hit up' some friends and let them know about the game! Oh yeah... can you give them the game for free?

:rolleyes::rolleyes: