Should I sell my 3DS?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by tygamr, Mar 28, 2012.

1. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I haven't really been playing my 3DS very much for the past few months and I'm thinking about selling it. When Resident Evil: Revelations came out, I started playing it again for half a week, until I beat it- after that, haven't really touched it since.

There aren't many games coming out for it that I really want in the forseeable future. The only games I really want are Kingdom Hearts, Luigi's Mansion 2, and any new Zeldas, Golden Suns, and Metroids (none of which have been announced). Kid Icarus looks interesting, as do a few other games, but none really seem like games I've just gotta play.

Most of my portable gaming is done on my Vita now, and when I bring a handheld with me, it's the Vita I take. I can do a lot more with my Vita, and there's a lot more games I'm looking forward to on it. In all honesty, if the Vita and 3DS came out at the same time, I probably would've skipped the 3DS. The 3DS was kind of an appetizer while I waited for the Vita, and if Zelda OoT wasn't out, I definitely wouldn't have bought one.

I really want to build a new gaming PC, and that's what I'd use the money from selling my 3DS towards. I can play most current games on my current PC, buts it's definitely due for replacement- recently, it's just barely chugging along. I know which one I'd use more (PC), but I'm still not sure. I don't want to get rid of it and regret it in a few months, but I also don't want to keep it and continue regretting buying it. I may end up getting the inevitable new 3DS model in the future to play games I missed, but right now, I can't see myself playing it. There are definitely a lot more games I want to play on the PC than on the 3DS.

Yeah, I'm pretty conflicted. Should I keep it or sell it? I really do want a new computer.

2. ANIMALCHOPPINGS

ANIMALCHOPPINGS Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Canada
    If you have a Vita, iOS device ( I'm assuming you have one), and want a computer then you should probably sell it. if you don't use it now, you probably won't use it again and you should sell it.

3. Ninja J

Ninja J Active Member

Mar 28, 2012
    I agree. Why don't you have both of it? It's only a prblem of time.

4. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    E3 is right around the corner, about 2 months I believe; you can bet a lot of interesting things will be announced at the show.

Otherwise, what have you played on 3DS besides resEvil? Have you checked out Mutant Mudds and especially Pushmo on the eShop? I'll assume you've got your hands on Mario 3D Land (and if not, you should). Though not overwhelming, there's definitely plenty to keep busy with on 3DS right now, the party is just getting started.

Vita's brand-new, but give it time to cool off and maybe you will come back to 3DS a bit more. The nice thing is that the 2 systems really are different; however, you only have so much time between all these devices and with an abundance of games coming out all over the place, you can probably afford to ditch at least one of these things. I say, sit on it until post-E3 and see how the rest of the year (and future) looks for the system, and if that jives with what suits your gaming tastes.

5. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    I agree wait the 2 months until E3 and then make your choice

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

My 3DS is workin' up one hell of a fine layer of dust in its cradle right now.

7. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    #7 tygamr, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
    I've played most of the good 3DS games. I've got Cave Story 3D, DoA: Dimensions, Mario Kart 7, Nano Assault, Resident Evil: Revelations, Star Fox 64 3D, Super Mario 3D Land, and Zelda OoT. I used to have Ridge Racer, Pacman and Galaga Dimensions, and Resident Evil the Mercenaries 3D, but sold all of them.

I've also got a lot of digital games. I have all the ambassador titles, Freaky Forms, Mighty Switch Force, Mutant Mudds, Pushmo, Sakura Samurai, Zen Pinball 3D, Excite Bike, Xevious, Cave Story, Dark Void Zero, Starship Defense, Zelda: Fourswords Anniversary Ed., Kirby's Dream Land, Metroid II, and Zelda Link's Awakening.

I'm interested in Kid Icarus: Uprising, Dillon's Rolling Western, Metal Gear Solid 3D (own the HD version already, thinking about getting the Vita version. Main reason this version interests me is the controls- they're much better than the old controls), and Tales of The Abyss (looks decent, though it's definitely not my style of JRPG).

Mine is too. Haven't touched it in a while. Doesn't help that whenever I've played Revelations online my partner quits after one or two rounds- probably my fault for having such a high accuracy (85-100%) and damage amount.

8. earthclaw

earthclaw Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Freakin Space Alien
    Alienville
    #8 earthclaw, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
    I would Keep it and just save your money for your new toy you want..You will regret selling it later when some new cool game comes out you really want to play. All consoles/handhelds go through these stagnant stages where the games just arent very appealing to some people. My xbox has plenty of dust on it and so does the 3ds, but as soon as i get rid of a system, sure enough a cool game comes out i want to play,and i am kicking myself for selling it.

On a pc build note, I put my computer together one piece at a time over several months. Saved me a ton of cash in the long run, and i ended up getting the specs i wanted. Pricewatch,new egg etc... sometimes there are awesome deals just around the corner.

9. butterbean21

butterbean21 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    You could sell it now while the value is still good, then purchase another 3DS when they release a new one with a slimmer body, and better battery life. And by that time, all the good games like Luigi's Mansion 2, Paper Mario, AC, and others will be out. That's the alternative!

10. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I'm seriously considering selling mine this weekend as well along with my 8 games, bleh. Can't juggle multiple platforms at the same time with the volume of games I purchase. One handheld (iOS) and one console (360) is enough for me. I've literally put in a total of 10 hours on my $300 of 3DS games in the 10 months that I've owned one. I just don't think I'd be able to get a decent price for it.

11. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    This guy nailed it. Keep the 3DS. You'll regret selling it, if you do.

12. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

I've never regretted selling my original DS six months after launch though the same can't be said about purchasing a DS Lite and a flash cart. I've heard there's a lot of great games for it and yet it still has managed to sit on a shelf collecting dust for the majority of the last four years.

13. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I'm a huge 3DS fanatic, and choose it over the Vita any day, but it sounds like you have already answered your own topic. The 3DS library doesn't interest you. I'd say the ilk of what you'd find on the 360 and PS3 is more to your liking, so the Vita is perfect for you.

Sell your 3DS and get some monies for some Vita games! :cool:

14. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I think you should just mail me the 3DS. ;)

15. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    How much would you guys say a black 3DS with all the Ambassador Program games is worth now? If you could check for total time usage somewhere, it'd probably be around 25 hours. No noticeable scratches anywhere.

16. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    $185-215.

17. Seeing how you can a new one right now starting from $145. I doubt a used 3DS is worth that much even with all of the ambassador games.

18. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Same. I'd be surprised if it's even worth $125 anymore. I'm talking about selling it to a place where I can actually take the device to..nothing that involves any kind of online site or shipping.

19. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I think I'm going to wait for a bit before selling it. I'll probably get Kid Icarus and make my decision after that.