Universal Monster Chef (by Coconut Island Games Limited)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by KeKhan, Mar 14, 2018.

1. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    If you want to discuss premium vs freemium, I think it would be much better to NOT do it on the forum for a specific game but to open a thread in a non game specific thread.

2. cyllwynn

cyllwynn Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Wow. The hyperbole is strong with this one. I personally wanted to read it because I thought it would be interesting.

I do agree with Eli. Love it or hate it, it would be much more helpful to hear if the game is fun or sucks based on the game and not some hardline stance on monitization ethics...

Ps. This games timers are ridiculously long and instantly make the game not very fun at all.

3. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Stilllllllllll no connecting to servers. What a debut

4. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Love it or hate it, it would be much more helpful to hear if the game is fun or sucks based on the game and not some hardline stance on monitization ethics...

Very true. It would also be helpful if the other posters could actually connect to whatever it is they have to connect to in order to play the game, then they could give their impressions on the gameplay itself.

5. wyzau

wyzau Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Can't believe that i'm one of the first to write some actual impressions of the game itself :rolleyes:

The 'battles' take place in an arena where you have to find yellow guys (and red ones for rare creatures) and run into them to initiate the capturing screen. You'll have to avoid other bad monsters and traps, but at least for now it seems rather easy (i'm in the second world right now).

The capturing process reminds me of Disco Zoo - you'll have to find the creature using a certain pattern (each monster has it's own pattern).

Once you capture monsters, they will harvest ingredients for some meals. That's where i don't fully understand the game :). you have to find recipes by trying out different combinations of ingredients (i would have liked it better if you didn't have to find them by randomly trying out combinations). Once you discovered a meal, you can cook it and sell it to the 'overworld', getting more money, so you can go to battle (which costs money) to find more monsters.

Monsters can be upgraded so they get you more ingredients.
    Meals can also be upgraded somehow, but i haven't figured out the different icons here.
    Capturing mechanics are fun.
    Overall i like the game a lot.

6. addytorials

addytorials New Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Fun

Wow, this thread has totally been hijacked.
    But if you came here wondering what the game is like - it's fun and I ended up spending way longer on it than I intended.

Someone complained about unlock times. That's something a lot of games are implementing these days, but it's not so bad on this. The items you get from unlocking bags are pretty much just bonus items that you could do without. Also, watching ads reduces unlock times. The basic bag can be unlocked instantly by watching an ad.

Here's what you do in the game:
    Go around a randomly generated map finding loot, avoiding enemies and looking for monsters. When you capture a monster, it begins producing an ingredient in your kitchen (potatoes, eggs, etc.).

You need to click on the 'harvest' button in your kitchen for the monster to start producing the ingredient. At the basic monster level, this harvesting will go on for 30 minutes and then you need to activate it again. When you level the monster up by catching more of the same kind, you can harvest for longer so you don't have to come back to it as frequently to activate harvesting. There is a slight idle-clicker feeling to this part of the game.

What do you do with the ingredients? You put them together in various combinations to make dishes that you can then sell. Then you use the money gained to upgrade your cooking pots and to buy better rides with abilities for the monster hunt part of the game.

The monster hunt maps get challenging and fun to play. Experimenting with the ingredients and improving your recipes can be fun as well. And the quests make sure you've always got something to do. But what makes the game most fun is the humour and the art.

The f2p trappings of the game don't really bite. I've watched a few ads, but opted to not watch the ads many more times and it doesn't put me at a disadvantage at all.

Give it a spin. It's addictive.

7. Chen93

Chen93 Active Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Biggest issue I have is the recipes seem completely random. Like I can make a beef dish without using any beef. It means its just a random combination machine which is pretty counter-intuitive. Rest is pretty fun.

8. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    This game is fun.

First it supports X full screen. I delete games that don't support X and especially if a new game.. Just show how lazy the Devs are and don't deserve support.

When you start the game you ride a bike and chase down Monster with exclamation marks do not try touching those without exclamation mark u will die lol.

Capture Monster build farms, research, cook and sell. Repeat and rinse. So far it's fun not sure it will stay like this. Anyway this game is ad supported. U will die often and only way to revive is watching ads.

9. PBSNellie

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I gave this another try. Was able to log in and start playing. It actually is pretty engaging. And I love the artwork, which is what attracted it to me in the first place. I'll keep playing and see what happens.

10. PBSNellie

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    What are the QR codes for?

11. Troid

Troid Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    You get used to it :)

12. Troid

Troid Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    What would you have done differently? Ban even more people than you already did? :)