Before & after pics - design evolution

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by ImStrapped, Jul 27, 2011.

1. ImStrapped

ImStrapped Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    #1 ImStrapped, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
    Hey guys,

I thought it'd be fun and interesting to share with y'all the thought process that went into designing DEO (currently pending review).

I'll keep it short and sweet and let the pictures do the talking :)

Please do share your feedback and thoughts! Also, feel free to post the same about your projects.

Final product - DEO for iPhone/iPod Touch
    [​IMG]

Concepting the original idea.
    [​IMG]

We knew what the game was about, we just didn't know what we wanted it to look like. So we experimented with LOTS of unique and interesting art styles to try and find something we really liked...and we did!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once we knew the general mood and art style of DEO, it was time to develop our character :). We mainly tried not to show too many characteristics and emotions in the character but rather let the user sort of define that on their own.
    [​IMG]

Some of our main inspiration came from images such as these.
    [​IMG]

Homescreen is a huge part of our game so we had to define it right from the start. Each time you pass a level, you add fragments to your planet; the better you perform, the more plants it will produce - our rewards system.
    [​IMG]

All of these elements and much more are a part of the overall rewards system. Perform well to build a better planet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next was of course, level design. Each of the 96 levels were hand-drawn, traced and stylized. I think we went some over 300 levels to pick the best 96.
    [​IMG]

Once we had the shapes in, it was time to make 'em look pretty :) As you can see we started with a basic trace, color fill, some texture...
    [​IMG]

...and at the end, the detailed stuff.
    [​IMG]

That times 96 :)
    [​IMG]

And of course one of the most important parts - animation. Lots of time went into animating the character, collisions, homescreen, rewards system, etc. We wanted to make the game as lively as possible and I think we did just that.
    [​IMG]

At the end, we ended up with something like this :). Very pleased with the final result!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Never-before seen trailer :)

2. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    Awesome! It's very cool to see the evolution and work you've put into the game. Love the style and love the reward system!

3. ImStrapped

Mar 1, 2011
    Thank you so much! 4 months total development (I know, it was a bit slow lol).

4. BravadoWaffle

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    4 months... we've been developing RoboArena for over a year now... We officially bit off more than we could chew with our first game, but have been persevering and making it as legendary as we could.

4 months is not bad!

5. ImStrapped

Mar 1, 2011
    Oh wow! ...I feel better! Haha. The game looks wonderful, I like it a lot! When is it coming out?

6. BravadoWaffle

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    Plans are for September/early October at the moment, our private beta for kickstarter supporters should start in 1-2 weeks.

I'll be looking forward to seeing Deo on the N&N list once it gets approved. It's oozing style, and that's what the Apple editorial staff loves!

7. ImStrapped

Mar 1, 2011
    Nice! Send me a PM, let's chat! Would love to hear more about your game and the team! And I appreciate the comment man, hope you're right :)

8. Lonan

Lonan Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2009
    very nice. thx for sharing.

9. ImStrapped

Mar 1, 2011
    Definitely :)

10. SimonTag

SimonTag Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Product Evangelist
    Dundee, Scotland
    Looks awesome! It is refreshing to see a game with a 'darker' aesthetic :).

11. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    I have to say, I also love ALL the other art styles you tried :)

12. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

So dark, I love it!

13. ImStrapped

Mar 1, 2011
    Thank you!! I feel the same :)

Haha, we went a little crazy with some of those techno/retro screens lol.

Thanks!!!

14. ImStrapped

Mar 1, 2011
    Just thought I'd drop some additional statistics I've been collecting.

Took us 3.5 months to complete the game, including the beta phase.

Total hours: 2,760

Approx. 30k project budget

Team: Producer, designer, audio guy, developer

15. MrLeQuack

I have a kind of inappropriate question but, on what did you spend 30k?I work in a team of 2, and we completed our first game with aprox. 2k spent, took us 4 moths.

16. f1point7

f1point7 Member

Jul 29, 2011
    well, you get what you pay for yo.
    the art looks good. i'm guessing the rest is gonna be just as good. best of luck and thanks for sharing your process - makes for an interesting read.

17. ImStrapped

Mar 1, 2011
    Nah, no worries, I know it's a bit out there and if some aren't asking it, they're definitely thinking it haha. Well first of all, my buddy and I are the producers and even though we haven't really paid ourselves, I did consider our labor hours as an expense so it's actually more like 20k.

The rest, yes, much went into design work and additional development +sound. I've worked with some really talented minds and unless they're from India, it ain't always cheap.

Thank you so much, and you are absolutely right :)

18. MrLeQuack

Well I didn't count our labor hours either, this makes a lot of sense now.Thanks! And good luck!

19. ImStrapped

Mar 1, 2011
    :) thanks!

20. mr_wexer

mr_wexer Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2011
    This is awesome looking. Kind of like what Rolando would look like if Tim Burton developed it ;)

I'm a huge fan of creative artistic direction like this. I think it'll be a bit hit :)