Gamers who are not game developers but...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Silverous, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Silverous

Silverous Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Gamers who are not game developers but would like to be "part of" the game development process?

Anyone felt like that before??
    Hoping to have talked to game developers when they are in the early stage of their game, contributing indirectly and eventually seeing the game become successful (hopefully).

Many indie developers are (at least from those that I know) trying to get more involved with engaging community at early stages of their project, but it's always challenging to find interested parties when you are so early in the project.

Have anyone done something like that?
    or would like to do so?

What would be your consideration if you would want to contribute to indie game developers with their early stage project?

Would love to learn from you!

2. EPX

EPX Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Game Developer @ EPX Games
    Canada
    Silverous,

This is a good idea.

It is hard to find people who have interest in the game prior to be in alpha stage. Now i assume if the developers had the gamers as beta tests early on. then a lot of issues with game design would be addressed prior to the game release date.

The hardest or scariest part i can see for some gamers is Signing the NDA that developers need to build trust between both parties. Some people don't want to sign them.

I think its good for developers to spend time and talk to the gamers in the forums. It builds good character.

I started a contest for my first iOS Game "Night Whisper Lane", in which people had to create a death trap in the game that looked normal, but was deadly. The feedback I received was very welcoming and helpful. Many good ideas where posted.

The hardest thing for a developer would be getting feedback for the game, when there isn't much exposure for it.

3. Silverous

Oct 21, 2011
    That sounds very true. NDA do seems like a potential barrier to beta testers.

The challenge is trying to get attention on your "under development" game when you are unknown to the world. =/ I guess people need a reason to believe in the development, still gotta show them something first huh? Easier when the product have some flesh and meat? =0

4. EPX

EPX Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Canada
    The NDA is needed to protect the game.

To get attention its best to contact web sites prior to the game beta and have them get involved to. I tried that, but everyone just wanted to get the promo code for the final , not beta.

5. Silverous

Oct 21, 2011
    I tried that too, and like you said.. everyone is more interested in the final product, not the beta. =0

Anyway, are you working on your next title?

6. EPX

EPX Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Canada
    Silverous, what game did you release>??

I was able to get a few quality beta testers who helped me out, only thing i wish is i started the beta 1 month earlier.

Currently I'm working on Scenario 2 for Night Whisper Lane. Basically a scenario is like a New chapter in the story of the game. A New start and End to the chapter.

From the start of the game i wanted to include the scenarios for FREE as a bonus for the fans who supported the game.

7. Silverous

Oct 21, 2011
    I was doing marketing in my previous company for a few games... one of them is called Dark Dot, an unique cute-looking shoot'em up which allows you to draw and manipulate formation. (it's free but only available on iPad) Pretty neat stuff, gotta quite a bit of attention.

yea, but reviewers didn't really response to my emails before Dark Dot's launch. They are busy people... i guess.=p

Sounds like you have a overall story arch planned out for your game! Where did you find your testers? from TouchArcade too?

8. EPX

EPX Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Canada
    Silverous,

did the free game have in app purchases to bring back revenue to the developers? I dont have a iPad to try out the game.

From what i've learned review web sites can receive 100s of app review requests each day, they can't review all game nor do they have enough staff to do reviews.

Well there is a story arch to the game, but there are also other things that I'm planning (time permitting). Can't elaborate much now as i've just starting working on Scenario 2. Ive been tied up with updates and fixes for scenario 1.

The majority of my testers were my friends, while others were fans of the game and contacted me directly via email. I Announced the game early on in May, and started a little bit of buzz. Keep in contact with them, they had no problem submitting NDA's so it was a smooth process.

I might ask a few members from these forums later on to see who wants to beta test the next scenario.

9. Silverous

Oct 21, 2011
    Nope, the game is totally FREE. no ads, no in-app purchase. (It was experimental.. and company wasn't revenue-driven..... hmm yup. lol)

yeaa, I'm hoping to see if i will be able to get a few members here to playtest too. It would be better to get perspective from other countries too. =D

Have you chanced upon any other good forums, other than TA?

10. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Why do people find it hard (scary) to sign an NDA? I haven't had problem or secon thoughts signing various NDAs in the past.

11. Silverous

Oct 21, 2011
    I wonder too. Personally I feel it might be more of a hassle for them or lack of motivation. Maybe you are just.... special. hahaha =p

You have been playtesting for developers?

12. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Yes, but I'm weird because I only play and test games with good graphics quality. A games graphics is my weakness.

But not much really...so far only about 5 games tested. I rather just play complete games :)

13. EPX

EPX Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Canada
    Graphics do help out games, they are the first things people See in the screenshots and videos.

I've played games with amazing graphics, but the gameplay wasn't always fun. How short we're the games you tested??

I spent a lot of hours working on the 3D renders of the game, the rooms looked amazing. Have you tried night whisper lane?? If not check out the promo contest we got running.

14. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    I'm not sure why some developers get this so ass backward.

We've had some "public" beta testers for our games, mostly dragged up from this very forum. Almost all of them provided excellent feedback and had a noteworthy part in making the games what they are today.

I never once asked for an NDA. In fact one of them asked me about it once and my response was that if you think the game is good, shout it from the highest rooftop and sent him a link to some readymade screenshots!

There's a link in my sig to a blog largely describing a game that's a month into development, and with screenies. Please fee free to look at it, comment on it, discuss it with your friends and try to get it on reddit! :)

15. EPX

EPX Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Canada
    Rubicon,

Thats a different way to look at the NDA process, Honestly it does seems to make more sense. As people will know more about the game way before launch, instead of rushing out all the info in a few months.

how early did you start the beta testing with the forum members vs your own internal team?

Thanks for the interesting read:)

16. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    We don't have an internal team - until very recently there's only been the three of us in the office and a couple of contractors.

As you probably know, the developers make the worst testers too so I try to get them all from here. Probably didn't start soon enough tbh - next project we're going to be looking for alpha testers. :)

17. EPX

EPX Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Canada
    That's a good point on developers not always being the best testers. Sometimes testers can think of things to do differently with the game that I haven't thought of yet. It's. different. Mind set. And that's always very helpful.

I haven't ask anyone on here for testing , looks like I should. Thanks for the advice.

Well alpha testers would be very helpful. I will probably do the same thing. I'm working on scenario 2 for my game, it's like another chapter. So I will need feedback on that scenario.

Then again I also have to find new voice actors as well.