Gameloft Financial Results

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by hackdirt, Nov 3, 2009.

1. hackdirt

hackdirt Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Game Dev
    New Zealand
    #1 hackdirt, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  2. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    And Gameloft can as well!

:p

Kidding, Asphalt 5 is good.

3. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Well yeah, when you push out shoddy products to a demographic starved of actual quality games, and do it while shamelessly using the assets and brand recognition of other IP's, you can make a heap of cash...wow!

4. hackdirt

Oct 26, 2009
    Game Dev
    New Zealand
    Genuine question - for what games are they shamelessly using brand recognition and assets?

They have a lot of games in the store and I'm only familiar with a few of them.

5. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Gangstar, blades of fury, Hero of sparta, modern combat. All have done well by primarily riding on the success of well known franchises. And not even done well to boot.

6. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Remember that Gameloft actually has tools to fight the piracy against its games. They haven't compltely gotten rid of it but many less of their games are pirated than the indies

7. hackdirt

Oct 26, 2009
    Game Dev
    New Zealand
    Are you sure? I just did some searching and it only took me two minutes to find torrents of cracked versions of literally all their games.

8. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Yeah but in the dungeon hunter thread I heard of people stating that they couldn't get past a certain level, when the game crashed.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Actually, of those I would only defend Blades of Fury, which I think stand on its own as a great iPhone fighting game (and one that I still play regularly a couple months after it was released).

Then again, le'deuche and I have disagreed on this very point before ;).

Oh, and I agree: Asphalt 5 rocks. Guess you could say that's a Burnout clone (sort of).

10. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Keep in mind that's $44m in sales, not profit. According to PocketGamer they had upwards of $160m in sales last year, but managed a net loss of over $2m. In other words, it's easy to spend more buckets of money than you make.

11. ethanwa

ethanwa Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    EXACTLY. I was just about to say this as well. I am glad someone pointed it out. For all we know, they are barely making it.

12. jclardy

jclardy Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Blades of Fury is a good game, but it is a pretty blatant rip off of the Soul Caliber series. The way the camera moves, the cheesy one liners, the characters, and environments are all a bit too similar.

13. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Or rather, those with decent advertising budget, a brand-name that guarantees free press for most of their titles manage to sell games.

Don't have anything in particular against Gameloft or their games but obviously they play with a different set of rules compared to most indies.

14. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Oh brother. So let me get this straight, you think one game of each genre is plenty and anyone else who makes a game similar or better using the same premise is a copy cat and should be ashamed? Or are you simply talking our of your ass like someone who just doesn't like gameloft? They aren't forcing you to buy their games, if you don't like them then ignore them. And do the rest of us a favor by not chiming in when it comes to gameloft. We don't want to hear the same bs for every game they release, period.

15. Frej444

Frej444 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Highschool
    Copenhagen, Denmark.
    oww, that's alot of money, does anybody know how much apple takes of the app's that are selling, like for a 1 dollar app, how much do they take in "Aplle Taxes" or whatever..?

16. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    I wonder what developer has made the largest profit off the store?

17. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    amen. My first game was from gameloft and it cost 5.99. Their games allow the idevice to appear as an actual gaming platform and because of this first purchase, I have no put hundreds into the appstore. I'm sure many stand with me in appreciating what gameloft has done for the appstore, and no their games are not cheap ripoffs of any kind.

18. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    i agree with u. i constantly hear ppl saying "GL does nothing but make cheap clones of other games." my question is, would u rather have a "cheap" copy based on a fun game, then have none at all? yes its obvious from what games they're copying, but all of those games are fun, and the ones i have purchased have proved to be good to have on my ipod for whenever i feel like playing them. something is better than nothing :rolleyes:

19. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Heheā€¦ I don't think there's such a genre as: Military FPS set in middle east with the title, "Modern [insert a synonym of 'Warfare' here]." Same for: Ancient greek 3D platformer where you battle huge-ass beasts.

I agree with others that Gameloft has done a LOT of good for taking the app store to where it is today, but when you look at their overall library of games, most of them come from ripping off some really popular franchises. They're not a very innovative company, but you have to hand it to them for knowing what people want. ;)

20. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    You sir....are an idiot. My point has nothing to do with genre, so try reading the post again..slower, in bite sized bits before you engage me in debate again.