Universal Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (By Rockstar Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by horizoniki, Dec 18, 2014.

1. dudewelcome

dudewelcome Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    hey crabman, sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this, today’s been ridiculously busy for me. BUT, i did get a chance to give chinatown wars a go with that steel series stratus (not the xl unfortunately) last night, and it fits the game like a glove. there were a couple very minor issues, like the weapon wheel feeling kind of weird to cycle through (might be a faulty analog stick on the stratus, who knows) and while flipping through stations in a car, without accessing the sub-pause screen to display which station you’re on, the game gave no visual indication of the station you’re listening to (no text in a corner or nothin'). of course, these issues were hardly a drag and there were alternate controls for both switching weapons without accessing the wheel and pulling up the radio station display/in-car weapon selection screen, so i wouldn’t consider either of those even remote deal-breakers. i didn’t/don’t have any problems with the touch controls, but i noticed the controller DEFINITELY makes gunfighting (with the ability to cycle between specific targets as opposed to always auto-aiming) a lot better (less sloppy and more focused) and driving a LOT better. it was an absolute blast driving around the city with a controller, and it took exactly that to remind me why this is one of my favorite games in the series. hope that helped! if you have any specific questions let me know and i’ll get back to you hopefully quicker than i did this time, haha

tl;dr this game works really well with a controller, and despite a couple bothersome but petty issues, you will absolutely not be disappointed, i highly recommend the experience

2. dudewelcome

Oct 16, 2013
    #22 dudewelcome, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    i feel bad about double-posting, but not bad enough to keep from doin' it, because after spending a couple of hours playing ctw with a controller today, i figured i should give an update. playing it with a controller is still a lot of fun, don't get me wrong, BUT, there are a couple bigger issues i came across today. when approaching a dealer or dumpster while using a controller, the "touch here to.." prompt appears on the screen, with no alternatives on the controller that i've found to trigger what tapping the prompt would do (i tried every button lol). also, i haven't figured out a way, if there is any, to access your phone's pause screen with a controller. maybe i just haven't figured it out, but there seem to be those couple of pretty crucial actions missing from the controller, at least for now. again, still a joy to play with one, but those definitely seemed worth mentioning

edit: also, scrolling in the apartment doesn't work with mfi controllers and projectiles are a chore to aim/throw

i know it sounds like i'm dishing out a lot of complaints, but i've been playing it for literally hours with the controller now because of how much i'm enjoying it, it really is a ton of fun despite the paragraphs of criticism i wrote lol

3. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I ran into similar problems, but at least on my Moga Rebel I can access the PDA's menu using the start button (I think that's what you meant?)

Also, yeah, you can't scroll in your apartment with the controller, and although you CAN deal with drug dealers using the controller it's kind of a pain in the ass. Instead of mapping the different parts of the drug buying/selling interface to buttons, they've instead implemented a cursor that you move around the screen with an analog stick to click on the different selections. It works, it's just clunky.

The biggest issue I had so far was an early mission where you're stealing crates off the back of a flatbed truck and tossing them into your friend's truck that's following behind you. The crate throwing didn't work at all with a controller, I had to actually turn mine off and redo that mission using the touch controls.

Like you said though, they're pretty minor issues in the grand scheme of things. I can deal with the occasional problem when doing a mission, but using a controller just to run around the city and cause havoc is a lot of fun.

4. dudewelcome

Oct 16, 2013
    you're definitely right there.
    and i that is what i was talking’ about, the stratus doesn’t have a pause button, weirdly enough, though it does have a button with a pause icon on it that actually acts as the home button

and you’re right on about the drug dealing, but i haven’t found out how to begin interacting with dealers without tapping the screen (tapping that little prompt to begin trading)
    on a lighter note, i realized you actually can scroll in your apartment by clicking and dragging (imitating the swipe motion with the that annoying cursor you mentioned), so that’s good haha

if i figure anything out i’ll report back, and thanks for the tips and input! i haven’t gotten around to re-re-(-re?-)replaying the story, but i’ll get to that soon too. i know exactly the mission you’re talking about, zhou’s first one, and it deals with the same throwing distance mechanic that makes tossing grenades and molotovs with the controller so annoying, in my opinion lol

but yeah! like we’ve said, loads of fun, especially in the long term, little bothersome details aside. hopefully they’ll revise the controls just a little bit, because that’s really all the revision they need :)

5. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
    how do you revive patients who flatline in the ambulance? the icon might be too small but theres no way to increase the size of it...

6. rdmd

rdmd Well-Known Member

May 4, 2014
    Habakuk's husband
    with Habakuk
    Playing on the Ipad and on a table, does anybody have problem with moving the main guy? It's just not comfortable, especially when I try to move him to the right, because the joystick on the screen isn't fixed, I wish we could make that joystick fixed then this game would be perfect. Still the best game ever I think but this kind of bothers me. Anyone had this issue, any suggestions?

7. regkilla

regkilla Well-Known Member

I remember playing this on my Nintendo DS XL in 2008.

8. richdmoore

richdmoore Active Member

Feb 3, 2014
    I am trying to use my madcatz mfi controller on the third mission, where you learn combat. I figured out the normal punch (B) button, the kick (b) button 3 times. The mission now wants me to to a flying kick, but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

Anyone figure out what button or combination of buttons work? Is there a control diagram anywhere in the app?

9. richdmoore

richdmoore Active Member

Feb 3, 2014
    #29 richdmoore, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
    I answered 1/2 of my own question. If you use the pause key on the controller, rather than the touch controls setup, if gives you a diagram of the setup for the controller (drive, foot, menu)

I still have no idea on how to actually do flying kick, there is only one attack control mapped to the controller.

10. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Is there a cheat function?

11. faceleg

faceleg Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Auckland, NZ
    The game has been updated and is on sale - anyone who has can you please confirm how well it runs? I've an iPhone 6+, will it be letterboxed?

12. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    Should I update? I'm on 6S Plus and iPad Pro.

13. oldsnake

oldsnake Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    Why Not? It Add 64 Bit Support For You're 6S Plus And IPad Pro as well it apply Retina Resolution For You're Devices.The Espanded Retina Resolution on The Log of The Update it's For A8,A9 Devices,i've an iPhone 6 plus and it Run good,Pay only attention That i'm on iOS 8.3,so i don't know how it runs on iOS 9X.

14. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    I’m not 100% sure if this is the correct thread but, if anybody still cares, (I do) Chinatown Wars just received an update that fixes all the slowdown/black screen problems it’s been having. It runs as good as new on the latest iOS too. Rockstar has been excellent with post release support.

bx59 and ioso like this.