Tiny Tower - Tips & Strategies Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by KiddToKmart, Jun 23, 2011.

1. edladd

edladd Member

Jun 27, 2011
    With 26 floors it's quite possible that one floor will have no visitor for an hour. Assuming it's entirely random that is. Think about it, if you have 32 floors and you want someone to visit one floor in particular - the odds are the same as flipping a coin and getting 5 heads in a row (2^5). This will happen eventually, but it might take a while, and it will feel like ages if you are waiting for it :D

Spending bux on people is actually a really good idea. I've been moving people in, checking their stats and then evicting them until I find the one I want. This works well if you keep an eye on the dream jobs. Even if someone crap moves in, you can put them in their dream job before evicting for a net gain of 2 bux. Coupled with the bux you'll maake on the elevator, stocking and locating jobs, your stash of bux doesn't go down very fast, and at the end of it all you'll have the right people in the right jobs.

2. joehunt

joehunt Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Thanks for the help. The thing is it's been much longer than 1 hour that no one has gone to floor 26. I didn't know that I could pay to have people move into a certain floor and might try that.

But I'm not sure I'll stick with the game much longer. The constant restocking is becoming tedious and the only suspense is the type of store you'll get. Personally, this game is missing the fun of Pocket Frogs. I couldn't wait to open that app and see what type of frog bred overnight. In Tiny Tower when I open the app I know I'll have to spend a lot of time just on restocking - not much fun in my opinion. And the constant ferrying of people gets old pretty quick.

I guess I'll wait to see if future IAP will be available that reduces the tedium.

3. jofjltncb6

jofjltncb6 Active Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Once we have one of every business, won't this be exploitable? Every forced renter will have their dream job available. Net 2 bux, evict, repeat.

4. edladd

edladd Member

Jun 27, 2011
    #184 edladd, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
    I guess so, although once you have one of every business - what is there to play for? Why bother collecting loads of bux?

I was keeping track of where the lift went for a while, and once had 125 people delivered without ever visiting floor 13 (of 21). I thought they might be superstitious - but then that night I had 4 people visit it in a row! Floor 6 had like 13 visits in the same timeframe too.

That's just the nature of randomness. In the very long term, every floor will have the same number of visitors, but in short term views, be it an hour or a day, there can be huge variations. And it will seem much worse if you are watching one floor in particular.

5. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    #185 C.Hannum, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
    I've considered this myself, although the solution for Nimblebit is easy enough: more businesses. Sure, we have the towerbux hackers with the multi-hundred story towers already, but for non-cheaters they should be able to stay well ahead of the curve with updated content. I need to get ahold of firm data for floor pricing, but it looks like even with tons of baby sitting, etc., people should be hitting the *days* between new floors well before anyone gets to that sort of 100% certainty "infinite engine" state.

There is still probably a point no matter how many businesses they can realistically add and keep things distinctive where the statistics of rolling for new renters is profitable enough to warrant doing it but the return on all your clicking is going to be questionable.

As an example, around floor 110 where it's statistically in your favor to roll renters, it will still cost you around 3500 towerbux to rush a floor, so even if you were perfectly lucky, you'd still have to force rent and evict 1750 bitizens to pull that off (and since you won't be perfectly lucky, the amount will be considerably more). If you have the patience to force rent, assign jobs, and evict thousands of bitizens for each new floor at that point, more power to you.

6. edladd

edladd Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Hmm, good point. Getting to the stage of having 100 floors is going to be a monumental task.

I was looking at the elevator and I couldn't figure out what PPM stands for. Initially I thought "people per minute" - but that clearly doesn't work, I'm for sure not getting that many through. Then I thought "Pixels per minute", but 16 pixels every minute would be super-slow. Anyone have any idea what it might stand for?

7. jofjltncb6

jofjltncb6 Active Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Not sure I follow. At the point of one of every business, every force rent bitizen yields net 2 bux. Click to rent (-1 bux), click to id dream job, click click to assign to job, click to accept reward (+3 bux), click click to evict. Repeat.

Ohhhhhh. You're saying the value of the bux won't warrant the effort. Okay, you're probably right about that. But will the "normal" revenue sources keep up either?

8. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Floor pricing growth has a much steeper growth slope than business revenue (increasing as a percentage of the previous floor's price, but revenue is linear), but it still grows fast enough that your game won't come to a stop if you keep tending your tower.

To use my prior example, at floor 110, your businesses if kept stocked could generate enough income in less than 4 days to add a new level. Now, I doubt anyone will still be married enough to this game at that point to keep everything perfectly stocked, but if you're still playing the money will come in a week or so.

Still, even as a hypothetical: You can check in every 10 minutes for 4 days and get that floor as quickly as possible, or you can force rent, assign a job to, and evict a bitizen every 90 seconds and do it in half the time. I know what I'll be doing. The bitizen revenue engine will come in handy if you want to do a big tower rearrangement or just get some different looking bitizens, but as far as rushing tower development goes it seems awfully prohibitive.

9. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    Couldn't agree more!

10. efoss

efoss Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jun 26, 2009
    Big Spenders

When a big spender VIP appears (male with glasses), you can get them to buy a lot more product if you drop them off at a floor with only a level 3 item stocked, especially if it's a store with a big restock cost/capacity. I've gotten a 28 bux "value" (the cost it would be to quick sell), for > 15k coins, at my cyber cafe, and I'm sure much higher payouts are possible with other stores, especially with three dream jobs.

You could leave such stores unstocked in level 1 and level 2 items in the hopes that a big spender will disappear. That's a big cost to pay in terms of income, so instead consider quick buying the level 1 and 2 items out while the VIP waits in the lobby. It's easily worth it to spend 4 or 5 bux to get the big spender to buy out a huge level 3 item stock.

Of course after this your store will be empty and having to close, needing to be restocked. But this is still a considerable acceleration of a store's stock/sell process for just a few bux.

11. EdS35

EdS35 Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Sorry if this has been discussed before, but if there is a "more than random" chance of visitors going to your residential floors (as said in the OP), doesn't it make sense to have them all at the bottom? That would be a lot less time running the elevator.

I think I do want to group my floors, and I'll put the residential at the bottom unless someone says otherwise. I do really like one section of my tower where the Lotus Apartments are above the Asian Cuisine so I may try to keep those together in the new organization.

12. Wolfplayer

Wolfplayer Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2011
    I haven't noticed visitors going to residential any more than the other floors. I don't think its true.

13. deadclown

deadclown Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    As far as I know, it's equally random.

However, there IS a reason to group all your residential floors at the bottom:

Until a residential floor has full dream job workers, you should never have more than 4 in it. So keeping them on the bottom means you're going to make more money ferrying with the elevator, since you don't make any money or tips when somebody moves in.

That is, you only miss out on 4 coins if somebody moves into floor 2, but you miss out on 40 coins if they move into floor 20.

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    ...and then in the real world, 40 coins is nothing and 99% of people shouldn't worry about it :p

15. jofjltncb6

jofjltncb6 Active Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I think I can buy into the assertion that distribution of elevator riders is random. However, I am *not* convinced that targets in the WW game are. At this point, it is just a hunch based on perception, but I find myself looking for certain individuals far more frequently than others. Have any of the...uh, more statistically inclined...*cough* nerds *cough* :D ...taken a look at this yet?

j

16. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    #196 C.Hannum, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
    Does anyone know of a list somewhere, or if it's in one of the game files, the price progression for floors?

I've got every thing in place to work out a maximum legit tower formula *except* an accurate list of floor pricing and the number crunching anal retentive part of my brain is oh so sad it doesn't know where to get this data :)

EDIT: I've figured out the formula for floor pricing.

Thank goodness I have a friend with a PhD in mathematics who can spot when I've overcomplicated the bejesus out of a relatively straight forward decay formula and presented it so convolutedly that it took us the better part of 10 emails back and forth to figure out what the other one was doing :eek:

PriceOfFloor(n) = PriceOfFloor(n-1) * (1 + (((FloorNumber(n)x2)-1) / (FloorNumber(n-1)^2)))

17. deadclown

Apr 13, 2009
    Or you could just knock a tip instead of providing one in a thread on tips. That's useful.

18. lolzkarl

lolzkarl New Member

Jul 2, 2011
    Tower progress not updating.

For some reason, my tower progress isn't updating when I select the "Friends" within the game. I can see my other friends update but not mine.

I was thinking of re-installing the game. If I do so, will this reset my whole progress?

Thanks!

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The best tip I could give it: play the game as you like, there's no rush so go at your own pace and enjoy it.

I was merely pointing out that although logically sound, some of these tips are just plain unecessary to anyone other than hardcore completionists who value every second they can squeeze out of the game. They're not strictly the "best" way to play the game.

20. deadclown

Apr 13, 2009
    In a thread on tips and strats, it's safe to say you're better off just sticking to that. I'm also FAIRLY sure that people are aware that enjoyment is the main goal. :)

As for my tip above: keep in mind that it's not just a 38 coin difference. It's that once. Play long enough, and that difference becomes significant.