How much money i make with chartboost - sharing the info

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by maccyfin, Jan 4, 2014.

1. maccyfin

maccyfin Active Member

Jun 10, 2012
  2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    How does chartboost compare to admob?

Have you used the interstitial ads in admob or just the banner?

3. maccyfin

maccyfin Active Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Hey, thanks for the message.
    I've not used the interstitials from admob yet. I plan to do a video on my admob revenue this weekend. I recently beat my admob revenue with chartboost and so it's overtaking it now. On average I make about $50 - $60 each day on admob.

Martin

4. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    But in terms of impressions are they similar?

My next game I have just used admob but interstitials between every few levels and occasionally plays an ad saying there is a full version with no ads if you are an ad hater(not those exact words lol).

Your approach to making games is kind of depressing but clearly you are looking at the bottom line so I get why. Makes me glad I have a job and making games is just something I do for fun.

5. maccyfin

maccyfin Active Member

Jun 10, 2012
    I'm not sure about how much impressions are on admob and chartboost, but I'll include that info in my next video. Im pretty sure the admob impressions are higher.

Sounds right what you are doing with the ads. I show a banner at the bottom or top of the screen usually, and then a chartboost popup after every game session.

6. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    I am more worried about getting people to download it in the first place

7. maccyfin

maccyfin Active Member

Jun 10, 2012
    You mean you are more concerned on how to get the downloads?

8. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    yep :)

It doesn't really matter if people don't play it.

9. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Thanks for this data its really interesting. How many games do you actuall have at the moment and how many are just copies on other platforms? It looked like about ten games with 3 different versions each.
    Also are you paying anything to advertise your own games?

Thnaks again

10. OnlyJoe

OnlyJoe Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Auckland
    Out of interest how much cross promotion do you do in your games? I am wondering if building a network of games then cross promoting them works well?

I watched some of your other videos, really like them. I too am trying to make a living off mobile gaming, which is far harder than I first thought. I think all developers start with the big dream and spend a long time making a big game, only to find it makes the same money as a game made in 1 or 2 days (unless you get that lucky break, or make something really special). But reality is that it is probably more viable to make lots of very simple games, very quickly. Also this probably shows you what kind of game mechanics work the best (I would be very interested to see a video on successful simple mechanics or something like that). Anyway, really like the videos.

11. madpoet

madpoet Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Digital Artist, Unity3D developer
    Toronto, Canada
    Thx for the info. Very helpful.

12. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    Wow, such a low quality ripoff games with zero value, made for ads. Reminds me of Made for AdSense websites all over the internet some time ago, till Google started shutting them down.

And I'm not hating, just stating - I used to do those Made for Adsense webs when few years ago :) Nice video tho.

13. codebandit

codebandit Well-Known Member

Thank you kindly for posting this video and information, it's very informative and helpful! We're currently evaluating ChartBoost to see if it's right for our current game, and videos like this are a great resource.

14. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    So I decieded to implement chartboost to compare to admob but I have found that it shows ads fine on my ipad but on my iphone5 it doesn't seem to ever successfully cache or show ads. Is this just because there no ads to serve or another problem? The campaign I created includes iphone, is something extra needed for iphone5?

15. PuzzleBrothers

PuzzleBrothers Well-Known Member

May 11, 2011
    Indie developer
    Montpellier, France
    Destined, if you set up a test campaign you may also have run out of test ad impressions (20 or so). It's a stupid issue but it bit us before.

16. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    I actually figured my issue. It was related to I changed my code and the init was called in the wrong place. It was still working on the ipad I assume cause it remembered it from when it was calld correctly. Got it all fixed and submitted update to the game to appstore!

17. BlindAlbino

BlindAlbino Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    I am Co-Founder and Art Director for Blind Albino,
    La Habra Hights, California
    I have such a strange mixed reaction to this video. I really enjoyed the share, and you seem like a really fun professional indie developer. But on the flip side, I can't help but picture the endless tidal wave of throw away titles accumulating in the market, and some annoying ideological crusader inside me wants to protest. Hate the game, not the player, I suppose. (That analogy gets confused in this case, but I only mean it in the common metaphorical sense.) Foolish as it may sound, I'm still inspired to try the ad-free, quality product route. I guess I'm just trying to fight off the discouragement I feel from this video. And I do wish you all the success you seek my friend - even if I am saddened by the state of the marketplace. Gigantic net fishing is not environmentally sustainable, but I still like eating fish.