A Million Dollar App

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by doink123, Feb 10, 2010.

1. doink123

doink123 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Hi guys,
    Apple has approved our app and I wanted to let you know.

[​IMG]

The idea is simple and not a new one.
    We are trying to make 1 million dollars by selling 1 million pixels for $1 each (yes, I know how this sounds).

Everyone is welcome to buy pixels, which are available in blocks. Every block is 10x10 pixels (a total of 100 pixels per block). The application contains 10,000 of these blocks, which makes 1,000,000 pixels.

You can buy as many pixels as you want as long as they are available. Once you buy a particular block of pixels you can upload a 10x10 ad/image/logo and make it link to your own web site, iphone application, or wherever you want.

The pixels you've bought become yours forever and you can change the images, the links they point to, and the description anytime you want. We are hoping to support this app for at least 2 years with the money we make and think that in the long term the pixels will offer good value.

You will get your very own spot in the Million Dollar App, which is going to be yours forever and can potentially be seen by millions. You will be able to upload a small 10x10 image (or more images if you have bought more blocks), a bigger 50x50 image and a short description, which the user will see after tapping on your pixels. Also, you can set a URL for the particular block and use it to show your web site or your iphone application to the user. You will be able to change the contents of your blocks anytime you want.

Check the app at:
    iTunes Link

The application itself is free.

2. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    I love this idea, but what's in it for the consumer? Why would a consumer want an app to look at ads?

3. doink123

Jan 8, 2010

Sure, the images are kind of ads, but the diversity of the content will be huge. You wouldn't know what an incredible app or site might be hiding behind the next block until you tap to see it. Also, the developers can change their blocks anytime they want, for example, when they release a new app. The content will always be new and the user can explore it to find all the little gems that might be hiding there.

4. GrumpyGoblin

GrumpyGoblin Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Grumpyville
    So how do you expect users to successfully hit a 10x10 pixel image if it's bordered by other similar sized images?

A $100 10x10 "advert" is hardly any space for any legible image that a company can use. It's fine for symbols but of limited creative space. I realise that's deliberate to get advertisers to buy a larger block but seriously, this is throwing money down the drain for naive advertisers.

One last thing. I take it you're spanning blocks over pages given that an iphone screen contains 153,600 pixels? So anyone on that front page is going to get better exposure than anyone else. What's driving a user to get to the other pages?

Anyway, good luck with it.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I think we've had a similar app to this pass though before... if I recall correctly, that one was raising money for charity and it still wasn't received very well.

6. doink123

Jan 8, 2010
    Yes, it's hard to hit a 10x10 image, but you can zoom the field with pinch zoom and then the block becomes way bigger and is easy to hit.

Yes, you can buy more blocks next to each other and yes, the price is high. But consider that you are going to own these pixels forever and can change their content anytime you want. The app might become very popular one day and this makes the pixels value go up.

From the FAQ:

Q: You said that you can’t show all 1,000,000 pixels on the iPhone screen at once. How do I know the users will ever see my blocks?
    ================================
    A: The "Smart Scroll" function takes care for this. When the application is opened, the screen will be scrolled to a position the user hasn’t seen before and then will be repeated again after several application launches. This way everyone will have a good chance of exposure.

Thank you!

7. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    lol this is such a stupid idea that plays on consumers, basically a legitimate scam.

Good idea to get the stupids to give you their money, but you neglected to cover up the ugly with this idea, so it's going to fail.

8. Athlos

Athlos Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Ohio
    lol... the only reason I'd buy this is because of curiosity. It sounds interesting, but it'll only be worth it if you get enough viewers/buyers, which is highly unlikely.

9. doink123

Jan 8, 2010

You get a spot on the million dollar app by picking it yourself. The spot is yours and you can do whatever you want with it. Sorry, but I don't see the stupidity of this.

10. doink123

Jan 8, 2010

Well it's a challenge I'm willing to take. Lets see what happens :)

11. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    #11 dogmeat, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
    lol, don't play stupid with me, it doesn't work.

You know what you're up to.

how about this, you tell me on a day that will never come, that you've done it, and made the million dollars. I'd be suprised if you even made 5k.

12. doink123

Jan 8, 2010
    I will do my best to make it work. After all the first 10% have been completed - the app is ready and approved by Apple.

13. Athlos

Athlos Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Ohio
    Well, good luck then, I'm interested to see how it works out for you.

14. drewse

drewse Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Good Luck

To all the people skeptical of the idea, look at this website:
    http://www.milliondollarhomepage.com/
    I'm sure that's where the idea came from (or a site similar to that one) and I don't see any problem in bringing the same concept to the iPhone. It's not like you're paying to see the advertisements and if it makes a profit, then good for the developer. However, I agree that it will be hard to make the estimated million dollars. I'm not sure how the MillionDollarHomepage managed it, but I'm assume it will be harder on the iPhone since an app is harder to access that a website. Either way, I look forward to seeing the results.

15. Spotlight

Spotlight Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    #15 Spotlight, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
    Something like Thousand Apps.com ?

16. Athlos

Athlos Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Ohio
    Lol I found Waldo hiding on that page ;)

17. drewse

drewse Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Yeah, so did I :)

18. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It seems whoever came up with the idea got their money, but are the ads worth it? I've seen that site a few times now but not once have I cared enough to actually look at all the crap contained within, let alone click on anything.

19. Athlos

Athlos Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Ohio
    I clicked one or two, and I gotta say, it does look like a pretty cool site. It's like a piece of artwork... but in advertisements lol.

20. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    the problem i see with it already.. its to much of blob to me.. no way am im gonna weed through it looking for some business. hhe.. im your average joe.. 35 years young and counting.

good luck with your program.. when you make a million be sure to say thank you to the forum in some way :D

chris.