Touch Arcade forums' Game of the Week (August 22)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by undeadcow, Aug 24, 2013.

?

What was your favorite release from the week of August 22?

Poll closed Aug 29, 2013.
  1. Asphalt 8: Airborne

68.4%
  2. Sheep Happens

1.0%
  3. Jack 'N Jill

9.2%
  4. Smash Bandits

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Little Galaxy

4.1%
  6. Dream House Days

6.1%
  7. Strange Loves 2: Hex Boyfriends

2.0%
  8. Ben 10 Slammers

4.1%
  9. Blackbar

3.1%
  10. Hello World

2.0%
  1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    40-point difference here, probably one of the biggest gap between first and second place on the GotW poll, if not the biggest.

2. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Just randomly searching a handful of threads shows two larger gaps (super crate box and pocket planes weeks) so there are probably several more.

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Funny, while Super Crate Box is a great game, I'm surprised it completely blew away competition that week (may be a slow week?). And Pocket Planes is even more surprising.

4. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I think this week is going to be the same with Terraria coming out and not much else.

5. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Voted for Smash Bandits. Just kidding.

A8: Best iOS racing game and action game ever.

A8 local multiplayer mode: Best video game of all times and of all consumer software/hardware platforms; everybody should try that!

6. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Isn't angry birds go coming out? They said there would be a big announcement.

7. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Yeah but I'm not counting on that since there wasn't even one screen shot or any gameplay footage in the video. So I think we still have a little wait until that gets released.

8. Congrats Asphalt 8 on your win, the quality of this game is just amazing.

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Hmm... dont think it'll be a big gap. The forums is pretty much split between Terraria and JJX looking at the forum activities, and I for one am not a fan of the genre and havent picked any of the 2 yet, so im sure some are in the same boat as i am.

Im still trying to figure out which one to get though, as im not really looking to buy a coupe games from a genre i dont usually play, not to mention a premium price of $5 each.

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I'm in the same boat and, frankly, with enough backlog to probably last for a year if I really wanted to, I won't be getting either JJX or Terreria. Those, along with deck building and sim-management games, are the few genres that I've dabbled in a tiny bit and assured myself that I just can't get into them. So, I'll just sit on the sidelines while those two duke it out.

11. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Yeah, you're right but in my defense, I didn't know JJX was coming this week when I posted that.

While sandbox games aren't my favorite style of games either, I do enjoy the 2D versions like Terraria and Junk Jack, so I was pretty happy last night.

While the two games are very similar, I would say Terraria is more focused on action and JJX is more focused on customizing. Both games have exploration and crafting and enemies to fight. Terraria has you fighting huge boss monsters and JJX has you crafting huge monster buildings. Both games do what the other does just a bit differently and with a little more flare.

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Cool... I went with JJX, mainly because of the multiplayer, which the TA article got me to dive in.

Since you said they are both great at what they do, i guess there really isnt a wrong answer, so i hope JJX opens a new genre to me, and then i'll eventually pick up Terraria too.

13. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    JJX is currently my favorite of the two. Probably because I am familiar with everything from the first one. One thing that makes the game a lot more enjoyable for me is to buy the $0.99 IAP that fully unlocks all the crafting book recipes, otherwise you have to find all the recipes in game or manually set up the crafting window. Which isn't a huge deal but really just makes it quicker and easier to buy the IAP.

14. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Almost 60-point difference in the final results. Biggest gap ever?