£7,000 bill for playing Clash of Clans

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Brad Vickers, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Brad Vickers

Brad Vickers Member

Jul 26, 2014
  2. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #2 Teknikal, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    She'll take it small claims court and win, the fact shes' already got the media involved is probably enough in truth. Chances are they will refund her to avoid any more publicity at least I'd like to think so but I can't see them winning in court either way.

I do think most of those freemium games are made with the hope of tricking kids or idiots though.

3. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Personally I hope she has to pay, it might send out the right message to parents.

Ie:- either learn to lock purchases on your devices or educate your child on money and iap. Also don't use the ipad as a babysitter. (Which I've seen many do. Plonk the device in the kids hands and leave it alone for hours)

4. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Charges that high you would have thought they would have gotten billed fairly promptly, you would also expect a 12 year old to be a little more onto it. But, no one would intentionally spend that kind of money unless they were loaded and had no real concept of value.

5. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Maybe a few more cases like this and apple will force greedy and corrupt devs to stop using disgusting iap and freemium to bleed people dry and just have decent prices on their games.

...I won't hold my breath

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    This case has nothing to do with Apple -- the bill came from T-Mobile. In any event, unless she gave her child her iTunes password there would have been no way for the kid to buy IAP.

BTW, the kid was 12--doubt that his mother was using the iPad as babysitter. As parent, there are few things I find more aggravating that people offering parenting advice on a gaming forum.