Universal DODONPACHI MAXIMUM (by CAVE)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Don't quit agree with this, maximum is the easiest game, the bullets easiest to dodge, and there is an easy setting which must be super easy cause normal is quite easy, even making Sanuku look like a shmup god... :p

I actually think this game might be the best for the first time purchase, then Bug Princess 2, then Dodonpachi ressurection.

Black labels are for the experts, but this game was made for touchscreens, and I think more for the casual gamer.

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    What's your 5E clear time?

Just wondering, cause I'm finding the 3c-5e stage path pretty difficult.

3. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #83 tops2, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
    I hope that wasn't a back handed complement to Sanuku! ;)

Good to hear some excitement over a new shmup/bullet hell. Now I really can't wait till I get home and try this out. =D

Edit: Before I get too excited..I glanced at the appstore reviews and sounds like some people are having problems with trying to install this game for the ipod touch? Can anyone confirm whether or not they can install this on the ipod touch? I traded my 4th gen to Best Buy for the 5th gen..and it would suck if it can't run on it. =/

4. 5e? Wow, you always impress me how fast you can get through a game, wish I had your determination. Right now I'm in the b series, still kind of easy, but I am sure that it gets much harder later.

Often times, I play shmups, start from stage 1 and no continues cause I don't want to finish them and all. But once in awhile I do just play straight and solve them.

You playing on your iphone or ipad?

5. japtor

japtor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Not sure about Maximum yet, but in the usual games (i.e. arcade mode in the iOS ports) you pretty much want to avoid bombing at all costs. All I've noticed in Maximum is that it seems like it doesn't kill the chain to bomb (although I haven't tested that out explicitly yet), and that it has some kind of progress thing for not bombing at the end of a level (along with no deaths and 100% enemy kills), although I'm not sure how or if that affects your score.

I'd like to know about chaining to the boss too cause it sure seems like there's no way to do it.
    ...I haven't even gotten to D or E, on normal at least. Are you playing on easy or normal? Haven't even cleared 5B or C yet although I can't say I've tried them too many times yet, haven't seen 5A yet. Gonna try that one now, assuming it's unlocked.

6. pentarou

pentarou Active Member

Mar 18, 2012
    I'd consider myself a casual (read: not hardcore) shmupper and I think that even 5-A poses a fair challenge on Normal mode! If I wasn't a shmupper of any kind, I'd be having some serious difficulty getting through it. So I think it's reasonable to have an Easy mode. But that said my original comment was just a dumb joke about DLC unlocks from Futari BL, so you're welcome to just ignore it.

I just hit 18/20 achievements and if i'm not mistaken it's quite likely I'll never see #19 and #20 lol.

Also is anyone getting repeat "achievement unlocked" messages over and over again?

7. #87 Connector, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
    Yeah, first time though the game, 5A is where I died. That level was the first challenging level. Maybe I'll rephrase my words as maximum, it starts off the easiest and has the easy mode which seems more for casual gamers, and has no hard or hell difficulty for super hardcore fans.

I kind of wish they had a hard or hell difficulty setting in this game though, but look forward to the upper levels, but usually with shmups, I play them from the first level to retain gameplay and not finish them too fast.

I know on resurrection for the hardest setting, I am getting killed left and right. Constantly hitting the continue button. The action gets quite frantic at times, this game just seems more relaxing, and in some ways more fun.

And this game, the bullets are big and slower, so you can enjoy the backgrounds and ships much better. In resurrection, all I see is 500 bullets, cause you are so busy dodging bullets. In that aspect, this game is more enjoyable, cause you can enjoy the landscape as you are going for the ride.

I know some of you are wondering, which is better maximum and resurrection. Well, it is pretty close. My gut feeling is resurrection, but if maximum had full screen and a little tighter controls on the ipad, I think I would like maximum far better. So I guess the answer is both! Haha :p

8. japtor

japtor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    #88 japtor, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
    So I just tried easy mode for the hell of it...and got a completely different 5A, so perhaps there's branching within levels like the alternate paths in DDP:R? Or is that 5A only in the easy mode?

The first part was more or less the same as what I was used to, but then the first mid boss was from Ketsui, then the level turned all Espgaluda II on me (enemies and music), faced a boss from that game, then the last boss was an amalgamation of some other Ketsui bosses, and got a different ending. Didn't have any of the usual DDP:R stage 5 stuff in it like all the other times I've played.

9. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Ok i've beaten 1a-5a and unlocked the 3rd ship. How do i unlock the other stages from 2b-5e? I can only play on the A stages, not B and above. Says they're locked. Playing on normal btw

10. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    Damn if I had not bought liberation maiden for the 3ds to suffice my shooter withdrawal I would hit the bit button.

Edit
    ...aww hell my BH peeps dig it....I'm smashin now

11. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    They're not really separate stages in the sense of branching paths like Dariusburst has. Basically the letters are difficulty increases. If you don't do well enough (I believe based on the three goal dots that light up for 100% kill, etc.) then you will stay on the same letter for the next stage. If you meet the requirements, you will increase to the next letter difficulty for the next stage. So do well on 1A to get to 2B, etc.

12. Coldcoffee

Coldcoffee Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    Woah! Thanks for considering me a pro! :eek: :D

1. As far as I know, carrying the laser bomb the whole level without using it yields no benefit to the score(Apart from the end stage bonus). But using it to get a higher multiplier is a great way to get better scores. In-fact, dying is another strategy you can use to get better scores because in this game you don't lose your multiplier on death plus you refill half your bomb charge. So you can essentially use more bombs leading to higher multipliers. Also you get 2 lives each stage.

2. I don't think it's possible to carry the multiplier over to the boss because the boss doesn't appear unless you kill the last enemy. You can't even carry the multiplier after the mid-bosses death because of the kill animation.

13. japtor

japtor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    I thought that was it too but I have 3C unlocked without having all those completed for 2B. If it has anything to do with those, maybe two out of three? I have no miss and destroy 100% for 2B, but only no miss for 3C.

14. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Yeah if you look at the in game instructions, it says 2 of 3.

15. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips!

It should also be noted that the laser bomb also has a bullet cancelling effect that can really rack up some big scores and multipliers.

16. pentarou

pentarou Active Member

Mar 18, 2012
    So I just started playing with the Orchid on 5C

Then this happened

[​IMG]

:eek::eek::eek:

I'm sure I'll only be #1 for a few hours but hey I'll take it

17. Yeah, this level branching thing is confusing, but I have to say that level b is a lot funner than level a. Level a is too easy except for level 5a. Maybe syntheticvoid has the level system down if he got up to 5e so quickly.

Does the easy level have all of these stages and levels too?

18. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Easy mode just takes you through the easy stages, 1A-5A.

19. Usually never play shmups on easy mode, but I
    am curious to see what it is like. Going to go play it now before I go to sleep. This game makes me really curious to see what Danmaku unlimited 2 will be like. The more quality shmups the better. My bank account is wide open for shmups. They are still my favorite category of games.

Even though playing games on my ipad have made me appreciate good puzzle games too. I'm so glad cave is around to make good shmups. They rock!

20. Coldcoffee

Coldcoffee Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    Agreed!