Gta: Chinatown Wars Pricing.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by RandomSomebody, Oct 29, 2009.

?

GTA's Pricing?

1. 4.99 and below

11 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. 5.99-7.99

9 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. 8.99-9.99

75 vote(s)
    49.3%
  4. 10.99-14.99

34 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. 15.99 and above

23 vote(s)
    15.1%
  1. RandomSomebody

RandomSomebody Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    What do you think the price will be.

2. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    You split them up kinda weird, but $9.99 seems reasonable, and I don't think people would mind if it was higher.

3. RandomSomebody

RandomSomebody Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Well it's weird trying to split the pricing since the psp version is around $40 and the iphone version is essentially the samething.

4. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    this will be a big arguement,9.99 is the usual price for big games like this,but this one is something else,the game is originally made for a console and just ported with the same content,i would like price to be around 9.99-14.99,higher might not be appealing,but i don't know,Rockstar will still decide for it

5. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    It's not originally made for a console. It was originally for the DS.

6. Silver Orange

Silver Orange Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    California
    Wait, who is going to be the developer for this game? Is it gonna be rockstar?

7. spamboy

spamboy Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Yep. It's done in-house.

Personally, I don't think they would be able to sell well unless they kept it to $10. That's just how the iPhone market rolls. Then again, they are Rockstar - they have a penchant for doing some amazing things...

8. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    I doubt they'll be bold enough to break the $9.99 pricing parameter.

9. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    It's an official Grand Theft Auto port. This is one of the best games, if not the best, to stretch out the pricing limit.

10. yxkpro

yxkpro Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    High School Student
    Missouri
    If I was a company as big as Rockstar, I break the $10 mark... :D

11. itman

itman Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    If you don't work at Rockstar why are you interested?

12. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    In the pricing? Uhh, maybe because he'll be one of the people wanting to buy the game and using his money on it? I would have thought that would be obvious.

13. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I think this may come out at $19.99. I own the DS version but I will buy this version as well.

14. drixz

drixz Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    +1.

I reckon this pricing sounds reasonable if we get an identical version (with lower texture resolution) to the PSP.

15. DannyV

DannyV Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Graphic Designer
    Not to sound bitter, but more than likely it'll be $9.99 and a bit watered down like always.

16. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    I'd pay over $15 if they did a decent job of the port. If they half-ass it, it had better be under $6...

17. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I'm no economicologist, but I tend to look at this sort of thing like I look at music pricing. All these big companies want the money they got way back in the day, and they aren't getting it from online sales. So they raise the prices in iTunes to some arbitrary number they think will make up for lost CD sales, apparently unawares that they are basically saying to the consumer "Hey, we know you can get all this stuff for free if you look hard enough on this internet thing, but we would really prefer it if you bought our product at this new increased price, never mind that we're making money regardless, we just want to make more money".

For the App store, the $10 price for the "premium" games has been pretty decently established, albeit unofficially. It's the price where people are willing to pay for something quality, but still kind of complain because a lot of other quality games are for sale at cheaper ($5, $7, etc.). If Rockstar prices it at $10, they're gonna make money. Lots of it. If they price it at $5, they're gonna make money, lots of it. Unless this game turns out to have some huge bug that wipes the iPhone/Touches memory clean and bricks it, they're gonna sell this game. Like hot cakes. Saying that their game is somehow going to be the first game "worthy" of a higher price is kind of like a smack in the face. Well, not really, but it stings of "Yeah, we know its been done this way, but now we're gonna do it our way". Especially considering that their porting the game to the iPhone/Touch is almost an afterthought, a "What the hell, why not?" sort of thing.

If Rockstar actually had to raise the price to make money on this thing, ie they had built it from the ground up on the iPhone, poured tons of money into development, spent a lot of time perfecting it, etc. it wouldn't be an issue. As it stands now, they'll probably make a profit as long as they don't put it up for free.

Of course, all this speculation is meaningless since it won't pass the approval process anyways!

18. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    No way am I paying twenty dollars for a game on a device that doesn't have real buttons. I may be in the minority here, but I haven't been able to really get into most of the ports, especially Madden, since the virtual stick just isn't cutting it.

I'd pay $35-40 for it on DS or PSP, but not $20 on my iPod.

19. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    There's three ways Rockstar could go with this game:

1. Price it at $9.99 at launch as that is the established "high end" price point for "big name" publishers on this platform (Sega, EA, etc.).

2. Try to reach for a higher price point, but not too high so as to turn off prospective consumers. In this case they wouldn't likely go $19.99, but they might go $14.99, especially since there have been some games released at $14.99 price points (JP visual novels, mostly) thereby establishing that that price point in the upper maximum that anyone will pay for a game if they're big enough fans.

3. Release the first mission for free, and then have the rest of the game available only as an in app DLC purchase for anywhere from $9.99 to $14.99. In fact, Rockstar doesn't even have to stop there: unlike the DS version, which is "set" and cannot be added onto to generate more revenue, the iPhone/touch version can be added onto, allowing Rockstar to possibly create further mission add on packs and sell them via in app DLC. They can do the same with the PSP version (there are add ons for PSP via PSN for both UMD and DD versions of games) as well if they so wish.

Honestly...I have a feeling it might be the latter. Just call it a hunch.

20. Fudgeboy

Fudgeboy Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Student
    UK
    i reckon they'll go for £5.99 ($9.99), as all other big ports have done< >
    _