★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

the cost of games

04-20-2009, 02:16 PM
the cost of games

It's pretty obvious that a game costing around $5.99 or more generally attracts price critisism and complaints. Why is this?
Even is the game is superb and worth the hype we still moan about it, and to be fair to the devs, they won't generally charge over this price anyway.

But why do we complain? Other main stream consol/computer games maybe cost upwards of $50 plus, yet we accept these a lot quiker. Is it because the Touch is smaller? Or the quality/enjoyment doesn't compare to the mainstream? No, it isn't.

The price of the Xplane apps is my limit so far, and I thought they were expensive, but heck, were they? They're probably well worth the cost. But any higher I wouldn't have bought them. Why?

I'm curious why we're loathed to regulaly spend around the $10 mark for a game if it's probably well worth it, especially when it's consol brother is 7 or 8 times as much? And I can tell you, I get much more enjoyment and value for money out of my Touch games compared to the 'real' thing.

What's your thoughts?

Last edited by sjleworthy; 04-20-2009 at 02:18 PM.
04-20-2009, 02:18 PM
it is kind of wierd, how a thirty dollar game on the DS costs six dollars on the iphone(ie: BiA, HoS).

I find it kind of amusing how much people gripe about 99 cent games, which would cost ten dollars on the computer.

It is pretty much the cheapest way to get games if you think about it.

04-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Probably because people judge pricing relative to other games on the app store, instead of relative to pricing for games on other platforms.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
04-20-2009, 02:20 PM
its because of the average or app prices on the app store. Early on the markey was established as like cheap quick games for a dollar, so everyone else had to follow or they wouldn't sell. Premium is like 5 dollars and everyone else had to follow
04-20-2009, 02:20 PM
I think most people are just looking for value more than anything else. I can buy Digital Chocolate's latest game, Tornado Mania for $5.99, or I can buy Flight Control, Pocket God, UniWar, Skyburger, Flick Fishing, and Wild West Pinball.

It's not a hard decision to make, and when comparing Tornado Mania it's impossible to disregard the fact that you can buy six games for the price of one. With that said, I do think it's a little funny that people can pay hundreds of dollars for their iPods and iPhones, potentially a hundred bucks a month on cellular service for said iPhone, but more than 99*on a quality app is just too much.

I can see both sides of it, and you're right, it is kind of silly to be weighing pricing so heavily when your average DS/PSP/etc game are so much more expensive for (often) very similar gameplay.
04-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djflippy View Post
Probably because people judge pricing relative to other games on the app store, instead of relative to pricing for games on other platforms.
This is exactly right. Early app store games set the precedent, thus we don't like seeing anything above that 6 dollar price tag. It's all relative. When you walk into Best Buy you expect a thirty dollar game at least. When you open up the app store, it's engrained in you to expect around a two dollar price tag since that's what you're so used to seeing in that situation.

/sarcasm
04-20-2009, 02:25 PM
IPod games have changed the way I look at games when I buy them. I think that iPod games are astounding for what you get at the price you pay for it. The reason I think that is solely due to comparison. Look at DS games, no matter how terrible they are, they still charge $20+ per game. I adjusted to paying $60 for the next gen consoles after I used to pay $50 for PS2/Xbox, and I think that "most" games give you what you paid for in terms of content and the amount of work put into it.
But now that iPhone games are being released at $1-7, how can you go wrong? The sheer amount of games available on the appstore is astounding and the prices can't be beat, but I find myself waiting for price drops ALL THE TIME. Why? Because I know that it's common for apps to drop in price after a certain amount of time. This isn't quite the same with next-gen console games, as they drop in price usually more than a year after their release. I'd never wait a year to save a few dollars.
But now that I'm so used to AppSniping my apps, I find myself being more frugal when it comes to console games, it's quite a shock seeing a $60 pricetag now that I'm so accustomed to seeing $5 on the AppStore.
04-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Typically, the higher priced games are well worth it, usually boasting much more content / quality, mind you there are always the few exceptions. I'll drop $6 or more for quality apps like The Quest, Puzzle QUest, Chronicles of Inotia and not even blink. I've spent countless hours on the former 3 games.

The reality though, is that people will always find something to complain about, just like those who bitch and moan when the dev has a sale on an app they already own... If you ask me, this is a 2 part thing; one half is the pricing scheme of the app store, and the other = people just want cheap sh!t.

Favorites: Siralim 1&2 | Cavern | Rogue Wizards | Solomon's Keep | Endless Depths | Tallowmere | Wayward Souls
04-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDubby94 View Post
This is exactly right. Early app store games set the precedent, thus we don't like seeing anything above that 6 dollar price tag. It's all relative. When you walk into Best Buy you expect a thirty dollar game at least. When you open up the app store, it's engrained in you to expect around a two dollar price tag since that's what you're so used to seeing in that situation.
This is the main reason why Apple is introducing the Premium section. There is a lack of "top notch" games coming out since developers are unable to recover those costs given the small sales price.

Game Designer and Producer of Trenches, Evertales, and more!

| Follow me on Twitter or EMAIL ME |
04-20-2009, 02:34 PM
I think it has more to do with many of our more active buyers getting burned.

Console games are worked on for a LONG time, years in a lot of cases. After a dev cycle that long you expect a certain level of quality. In the case of 360 and ps3 games you also expect updates with bug fixes, new features, etc.

For the most part Iphone devs haven't had the chance to prove themselves to us. It's tough to buy a game for 5-10 bucks when you run the chance of buying a broken game that will never be fixed.

Apps like BeeJive and Jaadu have a big price tag. BeeJive had a full featured web based version before the appstore was made. Jaadu was on Installer under a different name. They both show that we are striving to make their product the best. That's why people are willing to buy them at 15.99 and 24.99 respectively.

Once a dev puts out a serious game on par with a ds game (a normal ds cartridge holds 128mb but a 256mb card is available) then they can charge anything they want and people will buy it.

Until then most people will treat iphone games as what they are, throw away games that they keep on their iphone/itouch. That stigma is what keeps people from spending too much.