Universal VVVVVV - (by Terry Cavanagh)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 11, 2014.

1. poppichicken

poppichicken Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2012
    South Australia
    #101 poppichicken, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    Yeehaaaaaaa!!!
    YES, I DID IT!!!

(I know I'm far from the first person to do this, but I'm so chuffed I just have to share it!)

This is something I never managed to achieve on the PC version, but post-Dark Souls, I thought I'd give it another go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I finally landed that horrendous Veni Vidi Vici trinket... well, I punched the air almost as hard as I've wanted to punch Terry!
    :)

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNYKV_5xCgQ#t=25s

Veni Vidi Vici / Doing Things the Hard Way / etc. definitely gave me an appreciation for muscle memory. Realizing my gradual normalization to the progressively longer "first part", until I managed to slip by. Wanna say I landed back on the starting side of that infuriating little bump once. Urgh...

3. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Very nifty game, some brilliant and very imaginative level design. It's quite cool how many different types of challanges are created with such simple mechanics.

Only negatives of the iOS version is that I would like to see retina graphics on my iPad Air. This would looks so much better. And a level editor/all user created levels and not just a few selections. But for a start, retina graphics!

4. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    That pretty much sums it up: it's a 5 star game in a 3 star package. I absolutely love the design, the heart, of this game. But the blurry graphics do detract from the overall experience, and would no doubt benefit from a Retina face lift.

5. poppichicken

poppichicken Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2012
    South Australia
    Excellent - thanks for the link. Glorious stuff.

Yes, by the 300th attempt(!) on Doing Things the Hard Way, I was quite astonished to find I wasn't even focused on the screen any more.
    The game screen was kind of blurred out of my vision (like when you just stare blankly "through" something) and my fingers were just performing their inputs pretty much automatically.
    That's probably the first time I've ever truly found myself in "the zone", so to speak. It felt really weird, but now I understand when people say that about a difficult game.
    Even Dark Souls, in all its b@st@rd-hardness, didn't take me to the zone. That was just a hard slog with immense concentation (I'm talking to you Artorias).

Oh yes, I've read other accounts of people landing back on the starting side of that little bump (I admit I chuckled), and I was very worried about doing the same thing. Thankfully that didn't happen. :D

6. Remote_

Remote_ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 26, 2011
    UK
    I did it as well - I was going to post this earlier but someone beat me to the idea :)

It was painful and involved more deaths than I've ever encountered in a game but my god it was worth it.

I jumped up and shouted on the tube this morning when I did it on my commute into work :)

Attached Files:

7. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    Will VVVVVV come in second for TA Forum's Game Of The Week? OMG!

8. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    This game is amazing

9. iTester

iTester Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Tester
    ios city
    Today ths game is for .99 cents. I am downloading right now.

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This game is amazing. Just have to replay it more and more, and im still wanting more.

Veni Vidi Vici in flip mode conquered. Finished the whole story mode in flip right after.

Definitely my favorite platformer on iOS.

Attached Files:

11. aussiepaul

aussiepaul Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Anyone who like the idea of difficult game with frequent checkpoints should try Polara. It's one of my favorites.

12. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    Starbucks POTW

13. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    Umm. I shoulda picked this game up a loooooong time ago. LOVE IT! #

14. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This needs to have MFi controller support man. I hope Terry considers updating this with it.

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Super Hex was recently updated with MFi support, and the implementation was very flexible and pretty much perfect.

Really hope VVVVVV gets a surprise update as well with MFi support.

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Oh yeah baby... 64-bit update!