iPhone Battle Academy by slitherine Ltd.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Werechihuahua, Mar 14, 2012.

1. UpUpStart

UpUpStart Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Co-founder UpUpStart
    Los Angeles
    Good luck guys game looks awesome!

2. florendas

florendas Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    I wish it was a universal app so it would work on my iPhone since I don't carry my iPad everywhere.

3. PipFromSlitherine

PipFromSlitherine Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Unfortunately I don't think the UI would be viable on the smaller iPhone screen, even if the later models had enough grunt to run the game acceptably.

Cheers

Pip

4. Slitherine Iain

Slitherine Iain Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    At last the update is available!

Changes in v2.0.4
    ++ Multiplayer Force Selection
    ++ 2D modding option. Use 2D unit graphics and objects for modded campaigns. (PC/Mac only)
    + Improved font rendering speed.
    + fixed some mission script bugs.
    + AI bug fixes.
    + New AI script commands Get/SetTeamOrder for sequence of moves.
    improved memory footprint and much smaller savegame files.
    + can now set VP plugin count to 9 to allow "defend" missions for all 8 VPs.
    Fixed an out of synch bug in multiplayer.

5. Quantus

Quantus Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    in anticipation of the 50% off sale, thank you

6. PipFromSlitherine

Mar 15, 2012
    I'm not sure what you mean? We are not planning a sale on the iPad version of BA currently.

Cheers

Pip

7. Quantus

Aug 9, 2011
    sadface

8. Slitherine Iain

Apr 10, 2011
    We have no plans to do any form of sale on BA iPad. We try to reward our hardcore fans who are the first to buy, rather than slap them in the face with massive sales. Our games don't date and we still sell games that are over 10 years old from our site and the prices are pretty much the same as when they released. Don't expect us to do what others are doing. We don't work that way :)

9. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Thank you for that clear statement! I agree 100%! :)

10. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Battle Academy is well worth the price. It's so well done and implemented on the iPad. And it is still being updated across all platforms! What more do people want???

:cool:

--DotComCTO

11. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    Well done to Slitherine for standing their ground, BA is well worth the money a costs a fraction of what the pc game sells for. The AppStore shouldn't be about a race to the bottom as far as app prices are concerned.:)

12. Quantus

Aug 9, 2011
    It's worth far more than $20 when compared to the video game market as a whole, but I am still hesitant to buy. The sad truth is that there are a plethora of great ios games for a dollar or two. It's hard to justify spending $20 for one game when you can get twenty other great games for a $1 each.

Value of entertainment is relative. How many of us are persuaded by the argument that a $60 dollar pc game is cheap because going to the movie theater costs about $20 dollars an hour?

True, the cost of BA is cheap when compared to PC or console games. But, when judging the appropriate cost of entertainment, I think it is perfectly reasonable to look at direct competition. I.e., other ios games.

That's my 2 cents. I'm prepared to be raged upon. Hope the devs don't hold the above against me. BA is a phenomenal game. But, I think the price is steep.

13. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere

The solution is simple: Just buy the 0.99 $ games ... :rolleyes:

Sorry, I pay exact the amount which I am willing to pay for a game ...

If I am not interested in BA I would not pay 1 or 2 $ for it ... if a software is 20 Bucks worth for me I will pay it and will not look to other cheaper games ...

I am glad that I have games like BA, Magic the Gathering & Carcassone on my iPad ... nobody wants to work for nothing so if we want to have high quality games we have to pay for it ...

14. DotComCTO

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    I, too, was hesitant on the price initially. So I decided to download the Mac demo and try the game. I instantly knew this was going to be the game for me. I wanted a serious WW2 TBS game that supported PBEM (how's that for a bunch of acronyms?!). I wanted to play that kind of game on my iPad so I could play it anytime and anywhere I wanted. So, for me, Battle Academy hit the mark, and I love it.

Remember, BA is much more of a niche game that was never intended for the mass market. At $0.99, $2.99, $4.99 or even $9.99, Slitherine knows they'll never get any return on investment at that price. Furthermore, this is the same game as the one for the PC & Mac. Those also cost $19.99; same price regardless of the platform. How can Slitherine sell BA for $9.99 on iOS when the exact same game costs $19.99 on the other platforms? Doing that would completely disenfranchise their existing customers.

I get your point about pricing, but I think Slitherine is doing the right thing. Only you can determine whether the price/value of BA is right for you.

:cool:

--DotComCTO

15. DotComCTO

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    #395 DotComCTO, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
    Pip/Iain,

I upgraded to BA v2.0.0 last night and wanted to report that this is the second time I've upgraded BA where I've lost all my saves and settings. So, after the upgrade, all my single player progress was lost. In addition, my music settings (off) and my multiplayer login info was wiped out as well.

I am running on a 64 GB "new iPad". The upgrade was performed by downloading the update to my Mac and then syncing my iPad via iTunes.

As for the multiplayer update: thanks for adding the "save" button! That makes life a lot easier. At least I can put the iPad down and shut it off without worrying about re-doing a turn.

In multiplayer, I'm still waiting for the replay of the replay option. I've even considered how that could work: the option would only be available at the beginning of the turn. If the player issues any orders to a unit after the initial replay, then the replay button would be grayed out. Keep in mind that issuing orders means exactly that, so just tapping on a unit to see its current stats would not count as issuing an order.

Thoughts?

--DotComCTO

16. PipFromSlitherine

Mar 15, 2012
    This update should be the last where settings etc get lost - sorry about that, going forward you shouldn't need to lose any saves, nor go through the IAP purchase drama again. I believe it should also save your saves etc via the iCloud backup, although I haven't had a chance to test that theory out as yet.

MP replay is on our list of things to add, but it's a pretty long list! ;)

Cheers

Pip

17. DotComCTO

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    Thanks, Pip! It was making me mental...well...more mental than usual! :D

Oh, nonsense. Send me the list and I'll help you prioritize! :D

--DotComCTO

18. Slitherine Iain

Apr 10, 2011
    Last thing to say on the pricing :)

We do not consider ourselves part of the app store ecosystem, or the computer games industry.

We are part of the wargames industry.

As such we work in a very different way, have a very different customer base and philosophy to almost every other game developer out there.

We continuously get told we are doing it all wrong by people who don't understand us and our industry. That's fine we don't take offence, but don't be offended when we don't listen to the advice :)

19. Paradoxish

Paradoxish Member

Oct 15, 2011
    If you think the price is steep then I'm not going to change your mind, but I think the problem here is assuming that video games are substitute goods. Will someone who wants an endless runner or a puzzle game or a freemium grind buy Battle Academy because it happens to be cheaper? Will someone who wants a wargame scoff at Battle Academy's price and buy some bux for Pocket Planes instead?

Even ignoring genres, I think implying that a $1 game is necessarily worth 1/20th of a $20 game is a faulty assumption. If I want to play a game like Battle Academy, then I'm not going to be happy spending $20 on twenty individual games that are nothing like it or twenty similar games that are less polished and less fun. Likewise, I probably wouldn't even spend $5 on Battle Academy if I specifically wanted some kind of quick pick-up-and-play game to waste five minutes with.

I guess in general these discussions just feel weird to me, because I can't think of a time when I said "that game is too expensive, I guess I'll buy this game instead." If I decide not to buy a game because of the price, it means I'm probably not going to buy anything at all. And if I do end up buying something cheaper, odds are I would have bought it even if I bought the more expensive game.

20. cloud tiger

cloud tiger Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2012
    UK
    Great game and worth every penny !