Metal topic? (partly for Booch)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Balu`, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    #5501 Balu`, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    Yeah, like a year or so, right? I'm alright as well, though a bit busy lately. :X

Anyway, I've grown to at least tolerate most vocal styles as well, but I still can't really enjoy this type of screaming, no idea why, though.

I've listened to a couple of songs you posted and instrumentally the Aegaeon one impressed me! Pretty good stuff.

Some of the metal stuff I've been listening to (though I don't expect most of you guys to like them :x):
    video
    video
    video

The new Kayo Dot album is definitely interesting, though I haven't nearly digested it yet.

EDIT: I apparently completely forgot how to do Youtube links. Bleh.

2. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    #5502 Somerandomdude, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2013

3. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    The Ne Obliviscaris album is one of my favorites from last year (probably with Wintersun's Time I), pretty great stuff indeed, glad you like 'em!
    The Faceless is nice, I listened to the album a long time ago, I think it was Booch who told me to. Not bad, but vocals again for me. :C

Honestly, I'm not too big on Cradle of Filth. I mean musically they aren't bad at all, but they just seem pretty cheesy to me. And that's coming form a guy who loves power and prog metal, so.. :D

Also, thanks for that reminder about Youtube videos!

Last year's Baroness album is pretty fun too, though less metal than their previous ones.

4. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Honestly, I'd say give Autotheism a shot out of all of The Faceless's albums if you can deal with the vocals. It was a bit more prog than their past 2 albums (which were straight up techdeath at its finest), so it shouldn't be as prevalent an issue as with those 2. Otherwise if I haven't recommended them enough, Between the Buried and Me has enough instrumentals to balance out, so it's worth playing through Colors or Parallax II.

Oh and damn dude that Ne Obliviscaris shit was spot on, totally checking that whole thing out. It's honestly right what I've been into lately: heavy, yet theatrical at the same time. They just pulled it off perfectly from that one song

And yeah, I get where you're coming from on the whole Cradle thing. I personally love them... Honestly, I just love black metal on a musical level, and they do it so well, while straying from the overdone satanic/demonic themes that generally tend to push me away from most black metal. I mean it does come up here and there, but it's not overdone or cliche or anything. Idk, something about their sound really gets to me, whether it's Dani's vocals, their instrumentals, or what.

And I'll check out Baroness later since my connection's being a complete bitch right now about loading shit.

5. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Just figured I'd try bumping this one with a few good songs to see if this thread's still active at all

And if anyone else has listened to the new Oceano album, what'd you think of it?

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #5506 MidianGTX, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    Guitars in that first track are terrible. It's that kind of laziness that's responsible for so many crappy metal bands these days.

EDIT: HI FRANK.

7. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Oh sh!t, see I was going to keep my mouth shut here but then you guys had to go and bring up one of my top 10 favourite bands of all time. THE FACELESS. Autotheism was brilliance Balu` ol chap. Deal with it. ;)

I've been really into Fretless bass lately... So I've been listening to a lot of Augury. Their album "Fragmentary Evidence" is pure Prog Tech Death gold. Highly suggested.

MISS YOU GUYS. <3

8. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Hi midiangtx long time no talk!!

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Damn, you've aged. You look terrible.

10. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    The Faceless isn't that great. :C Autotheism was just... alright. I don't really remember it at this point, so I might give it another shot because of your... enthusiasm. :X

Anyway, I wish I could contribute here. The heaviest stuff I've been listening to lately (that hasn't been posted here) is Swans, and they're very far from metal.

11. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    This thread about this kind of metal?

Attached Files:

12. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    @Balu` it's okay, while I still dominantly listen to metal, I only listen to it like 50% of my listening experience.

I've jammed on the new Dance Gavin Dance that got released today. Mechanical Poet got thrown in the mix, but I also listened to some Marty Robbins and still good ol Chiptune.

Autotheism is amazing though. Downright amazing.

Old Man's Child for some cool Black Metal. I'm picky with Black Metal, so for me to suggest it is rare.

Been jamming on Brand New a lot again too. The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me is a good place to start.

13. Emotive

Emotive Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Great White North
    New Oceano is laughable, Rock styled cleans in Deathcore is a major joke. Production is pretty bad as well.

Such a pass on, only redeeming part is the killer artwork from Sarafin.

14. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I actually agree with this. The new Oceano album was terrible. I actually caught them live before it's release and they played some songs and I'm like "Okay... It can't be THAT bad..." And it was worse.

Speaking of Deathcore... Hear about the All Shall Perish vocalist leaving to do Suicide Silence? I think that's retarded, but I haven't liked All Shall Perish since Ben Orum left (and is now in the amazing OBLIVION) and Suicide Silence died when Mitch Lucker decided to be a f*cking moron.

15. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    #5515 Somerandomdude, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
    So I guess I'm gonna have to go ahead and be the dissenting party on both debates here XD I enjoyed the new Oceano album thoroughly tbh, certainly not their best (since I'll always give that to Depths), but I liked it quite a bit. Sure the cleans were out of place for them, but I enjoyed it overall.

And as for Eddie in SS, I thought it was a good decision. ASP is still continuing, and Eddie's did a really good job with the one thing they released, so I'm pretty content for now. I'm gonna wait until they actually release something before I pass any final judgements though.

And damn dude, it's been forever since I've seen you around here. Good to see everyone back here again

And as for what I've been playing today, here's a few tracks:

First one sure as hell ain't for everyone, but I've been enjoying it. I'm sure someone will enjoy at least one of those though

16. Emotive

Emotive Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Great White North
    Eddie wasn't the best choice for a replacement but he is a friend of the band and the label gets to double dip in sales. Since SS and ASP are on the same label, Nuclear Blast, NB will reap the benefits of ASPs increased appeal of their catalogue from the new fans Eddie brings over from SS.

Win - Win for them.

I personally think SS shoulo if called it quits as Mitch was essentially the entire band but the brand is such a cash cow, it just wasn't going to happen.

17. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Why is this thread dead? Surely there is more to talk about.

18. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    *receieves email notification*

*stares at thread name dramatically*

*pulls off sunglasses*

"Oh... my... God...."

19. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    It wouldn't be the same without Balu`. I think I might be able to summon him if he's still on Twitter.

20. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Lol. Glad to get a response. I've been contemplating starting a thread for the discussion of heavy metal but did a search first and discovered this thread.

So why did this thread get abandoned? It was pretty active for awhile then nothing for 2.5 years.

By the way, I'm an American metal fan so exposure is fairly limited. I have to dig pretty hard to find new bands, although the Internet has made it easier. I'm in my 40's and I've been listening to metal since I was about 15 or 16. I'm hoping to find a place for discussing the topic and learning about bands I haven't heard of.