Shpop - Upcoming Shoot 'em up

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Scrat, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scrat

Scrat Member

Jun 11, 2009
    #1 Scrat, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
    Hey guys!

Let me introduce you Shpop.

Shpop is a 3D shoot 'em up featuring:
    - 3 weapons (bullets, flamethrower, electricity)
    - 3 upgrades for each weapon
    - 3 special weapons (plasma, shield, vortex)
    - Secret Passages
    - Atmospheric effects
    - Full 3D environment increasing the level of difficulty (you can crash into buildings)
    - A bonus game called: "Highway to Hell" in which you fly a ship on the highway and have to avoid cars coming in front of you while accelerating
    - Online highscore table to keep track of the best times made on "Highway to Hell"

The game will cost only $0.99 worldwide except for Switzerland where it will be free as SwissCaution sponsored the game for all Swiss residents.
    New levels (with additional bonus games) should be coming in the next few weeks/months at the same price.

The game has been submitted to Apple and should be out soon.

Here is the trailer:

And here are some screenshots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really hope you'll like it :)

2. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    This looks awesome! Scrolling shooters are one of my favorite types of games, so this is definitely on my buy list.

3. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    that does look cool!

too bad in highway to hell we don't get to shoot the oncoming traffic

4. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Not really my type of game, but it looks awesome.

5. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing :)

6. Jyaw3

Jyaw3 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Programmer
    Ontario
    a Shmup! One of the best genres =D I love the tri blue gun since the side bullets travel faster than the forward...gives off one trippy effect hah

One concern I have, is the height of the buildings, do they affect collision, like some of the low buildings seem like you could collide with them, so are ALL buildings walls? train cars? or is there some discretion needed by the player for trial and error?

Other than that looks great! =D

7. Scrat

Scrat Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Thanks guys! After spending months on this game, it is so nice to have people interested in it.

Ahah! Actually it did occure to me wether to add weapons or not. :)
    The thing is I wanted to kinda have a really different game. Another experience in which you wouldn't shoot but just test your aptitude at avoiding cars while accelerating (it gets really hard at about 60 seconds :D)

But maybe that could be added for the next game (plus another bonus game). I'll have to do some test and see how fun it is.

Well, the camera not only moves horizontally (by turning left, right and all) but it also moves vertically. So at some point, the camera (and the ship then) will go down and the ship will be flying really near the ground this is usually when you have to watch out for the buildings, cars and all. There is a way to know wether you might collide with a building, it's simply by shooting at it and see if the bullets collides with it or not.

It might be a little trial-and-error from time to time but this is also a feeling I wanted to give, you know like all these old shmups where you had to learn the entire level, know all the positions of each enemy coming next and so on.

If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer them :)

Thanks again!