The Quest vs Undercroft

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Enzo-259, Jan 27, 2010.

?

The Quest vs Undercroft

1. The Quest

23 vote(s)
    67.6%
  2. Undercroft

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. Enzo-259

Enzo-259 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I'm tossing up between buying The Quest or Undercroft. They both seem similar in play style, and according to reviews, are pretty good. The main issue I have is whether or not the story/script is well written and interesting. I don't mind graphics, and I can usually get used to awkward controls, but I'll be totally put off the game if it consists of a bland story and/or poorly written text.

At the moment I'm leaning more towards The Quest since the expansions look pretty awesome. Is there a specific one I should start with or would the main game be my best bet?

Anyway, it'd be great to hear some opinions! :D

2. madam_octa

madam_octa Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    My vote goes to The Quest. Start with the main game and work your way through expansions. It's a truly amazing RPG on this platform

3. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    The Quest, hands down!:)

4. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I can't have a fair opinion, as I don't have Undercroft, but I really love The Quest and all of it's expansions.

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    I played both and would recommend both. Undercroft for its fun, the Quest for its sheer mass of content!

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    What he said.

You can't go wrong with either game.

There are lite versions of both games, feel free to try them out first!

PS> If you want The Quest - get The Quest Gold - you'll save $$$ on the expansions.

7. Enzo-259

Enzo-259 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Okay, I went ahead and bought The Quest. It seems like a fun game so far but the lack of direction's kinda annoying. For example, I got told to find some guys kidnapped wife in the forest 'southeast' of the town. I've been searching for bloody ages and I've only run into robbers and archers; no wife. I hope it's not as vague throughout the whole game but, whatever, it seems great nonetheless.

[this took me forever to type out on the phone. Totally not used to it yet. :p]

8. Tarcin

Tarcin Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    Well most pf the game requires reading instructions clearly and analyzing the map a wee bit but its friggin fun. One hint shes in robbers forest and its better to ransom her back than free her

9. dumbname

dumbname Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    do you control a party like in Undercroft in the Quest? and are you saying that the Quest is not fun lol? or undercroft is just more fun?

Undercroft definitely looks very pretty when compared to the Quest, so i'm leaning more towards that but idk.

10. Tarcin

Tarcin Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    The quest is much more fun than undercroft IMO but undercroft has better visuals and the quest has no parties

11. Bochu

Bochu Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    I think it specifies that it's the Robbers Forest, doesn't it? And if you use the map, it'll keep you from covering the same ground more than once and buildings look unique on the map.

I'm playing the Quest right now and I love it for its depth and story. However, I had the Quest for a long time but didn't really play it because it seemed a bit too deep for what I was ready for at the time. Instead I got Undercroft and that was very quick and easy to jump into and doesn't leave you with "no direction". Actually, it pretty much takes you in one and only one direction, which wasn't too bad. I loved Undercroft because of the ability to customize your own party and the variety of spells and abilities. However, since I'm done with that, Quest it is!

To me, Undercroft is a beginner's journey and Quest is the adventurer's if that makes any sense. But both are very fun if you're into the genre.