Anyone else in the iOS 5.1.1 club?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by MasterChief3624, Jan 24, 2013.

1. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Usually I update my iPhone and iPad immediately when a new update is available, but when Apple unveiled iOS 6 last year, the negatives of updating far outweighed the positives for me.

The excision of Google's Maps and the YouTube app were my main reasons for not updating. I know Google has their own Maps app on the App Store, as well as an official YouTube app available for download, but I am not a fan of change, and I heard Google's app for Maps has a different interface.

And as far as YouTube goes, videos sure do load faster on the Google app, but I don't appreciate having ads on my videos, and watching videos over 3G is like watching a movie through a window in Silent Hill... aka, it's blurry as hell.

And what does the app add? It changes the interface for the App Store, it adds Passbook, and wow, even Facebook integration! I totally wanted to use all these features. :rolleyes:

I'm sure there are those out there that really enjoy these changes/additions in iOS 6, but I don't think I am one of them. As such, I am stuck at 5.1.1 for the time being, and am proud to be an iOS Quintuplan. :cool:

Anyone else in this boat with me? :)

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    *raises hand*

Moi. My iPhone is on iOS 5 still while the iPad is on the latest version of iOS 6. Works out well for me. I'm in the same boat as you, really. I didn't see anything I wanted in the new OS and as time went on and problems came up I wanted to change less and less.

Might wait until the next iteration before updating, assuming of course that my iPhone 4 will still be supported by then.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I used to be nervous about updating as in the past some apps didnt seem to work. But now i just update whenever theres a big red 1 telling me theres an update available, havent had any problems with apps not working.

Dont mind about the maps issue, i just download Googlemaps/youtube apps and use those.

As for 'change' i'm fine about change, if we all feared change we'll still be playing on a Genesis/SNES ! Change is good, we're all grown men, dont be scared !

4. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Haha, I wish. Im still on 4.3.3 :D

5. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    i'm still using 3.1.3 on my old iPhone, lol.

6. Ddyracer123

Ddyracer123 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    My reasons:

1: I hate the way the app store looks; as in the bottom menu and top, the actual page looks ok.

2: lack of youtube app doesn't bother me because of Jasmine. However, my 3GS is getting old and i don't want to update just yet to ios 6 and have some lag, some said it is better on this device but i want to wait for at least another .1 update.

7. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Well I am but that's more because my 3rd gen iPod isn't capable of more but I will say that after the fiasco of the IOS 5 update I had on it which took around 5 hours and still wiped out all my data I don't think I'd have installed 6 anyway.

8. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I have iOS 6.0.1 on my 3GS and it runs fine. Will 6.1 be supported on the 3GS?

It might actually not be a good idea to have the last iOS update that your iPhone supports. My 3G became super laggy after doing so, so you might want to update your 3GS before the 6.0.2 updates get replaced by 6.1.

9. Ios 6.0.1 made a lot of my console like games run better like Virtua Tennis and a lot of others. I would recommend upgrading if you want better framerates in your high end games.

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The Facebook integration is one of my favourite things about the update. Now I can sign in via apps without having to enter my details every single time. Looking forward to iOS 7 too, I hope they give us the ability to read and reply to iMessage via the notifications panel so I don't have to keep switching apps.

11. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I'm still on iOS 5.0.1, because there really is no point in updating with the iPod Touch 4 (iOS 6 would just slow things down even more). I also don't feel like loosing my jailbreak, even if I use hardly anything you get from jailbreaking.

12. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Hoping for something interesting in iOS 7.

Apple ceases to really amaze me anymore. Sure they're better by far than any Android product, but they haven't released anything mind blowing since the iPhone 4/iPad.

13. Rafark

Rafark Active Member

Apr 16, 2011
    \
    .\
    . \O
    . | |

Maybe in the next iOS..

LOL

14. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    I have an ipod 4 and an ipad 2 on ios 5. My ipod was way better on ios 4, it ran smoother and was faster so Im guessing things will go further down if I update to 6.

I have my phone (4s) and the ipad 4 on ios 6 and they also run very well but the bug that keeps me from checking my purchase history its killing it for me, its the only reason i havent updated the ipad 2 because it does feel snapier on many areas compared to ios 5.

15. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Debating whether to keep my iPhone 4S on 5.1.1 (JB) vs upgrading to 6.1 now and JB'ing it next week.

Decisions, decisions!