Flickitty: Real World Part II

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Flickitty, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Flickitty: Real World Part I

Flickitty remains free for the second day and our ratios remain somewhat consistent.

Worldwide, we had 7284 FREE downloads over a 24 hour period. 3267 of those downloads were from the USA.

With Flickitty, the USA has always been about half of our total downloads on any given day. Yesterday saw the exact same ratio. Canada, Germany and then Great Britain were the three big foreign download sources with around 400 downloads each, followed by France.

Flickitty is English only and isn't localized (translated).

To my knowledge, these numbers are driven purely by the rankings within the app store and word of mouth- there is no big news, no features and no reviews. We don't have any ads.

Todays standings put Flickitty at #19 in Top Free Adventure and #27 Top Free Puzzle. We have barely surpassed Flickitty Free's (the lite version) highest achievement. The Free categories have always been much more competitive.

A note about the categories: Flickitty has only seen success in the Adventure, Puzzle and Family Categories. Our attempts to move to the Action Category have never been met with success.

Moving from Puzzle to Action resulted in a drop in downloads. Moving back into Puzzle resulted in an increase in downloads. The Action Category is fiercely competitive, and most people simply don't see an stretchy cat to be particularly 'Action' oriented.

2. bravetarget

bravetarget Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Flickitty blog.

3. bomber

bomber Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Pretty cool game, would love to make an online game out of it :D

4. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
  5. Downloads would have also come from

* Your 2 threads on these forums
    * the listing on the front page in the black friday sales article and
    * the many automated tracking sites dedicated to highlighting games that have dropped in price to free (I guess this is word of mouth)

6. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    For the most part, any Flickitty threads have exhausted the downloads, probably on the first day. Any downloads we see trickling in from these threads are insignificant- they haven't even been read enough times to make much of a difference.

The listings from the Black Friday sales article could be providing some downloads, but again they are likely insignificant at this point. Our rankings and downloads have only just passed where Flickitty Free WAS, and Flickitty Free didn't have Black Friday, nor these threads to benefit it.

By the second day, I still maintain that nothing has driven downloads more than the current ranking within the App Store itself.

7. nerdaniel

nerdaniel Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Great what you are doing, showing us your experience. I gonna start developing iphone games next year, and this is being really helpful for me.