IPhoneX Sold out in 35minutes lol

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Taeles, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    On apple.com 35minutes after 3amEST the ship date slipped to 3-4weeks

2. RazvanClau

RazvanClau Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hello Taeles :)

That's really interesting, isn't it? The iPhone X is positioned just like the high-end MacBook Pros, not for mass consumption but rather for early adapters and for those who want the best, no matter the price. I've heard that the product has been very slow due to FaceID. I don't think it is intentional scarcity as I've studied the model (it is usually used for products that generally sell during holiday season) and it doesn't make a lot of sense for iPhones, as far as I'm concerned.

3. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    I hope people who buy those phones contribute a small amount to charity

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #4 psj3809, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    Why on earth would they need to do that ? Go back a few years and people would think we’re mad for buying £300-500 priced phones. Did we have to give to charity then ? Should people give to charity if they buy an expensive car or house ?

5. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    #5 Bucktroo, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    People are getting so much hate for spending $1,000 on this phone. Yet, most will spend that and more on coffee in a year (or insert any other random luxury/habit/hobby).

So many seem to forget that phones are used for work. Some seem to forget that not everyone buys a 'family camera' now b/c of these newer phones. I could list things for hours.

This pretentious "how sick to spend $XX on Y device" is getting old. I'm not eligible until May, so I'm not on the X train yet, but I'm looking forward to getting one. But I'm 100% over these smug posts. Reddit is full of them and almost each one gets shut down by commenters telling the OP to get off their high horse.

If you want the phone and can afford it, get to it. If not, stop bashing those who do get it. I haven't seen a SINGLE post from someone who bought the X saying "you cheap peons that are beneath me, how dareth thou for even glancing in my powerful X's direction"

I'll stop ranting, sorry.

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Amen. (And yes, I got mine yesterday. It’s awesome).

7. gamingaficionado

gamingaficionado Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    lmfao the hate for what people do with their hard earned cash.

yes 1000 bucks is a lot for a smartphone, but some people actually slave away day and night to afford luxuries on themselves and their family. plus not everyone changes phones like they change diapers. maybe that 1000 price tag is reasonable to them if they don't plan on spending a dime on a phone for the next 5 years.

and also because f*** the entitlement people have towards people who spend what they want however they want. if you're that envious towards them then don't get married and poop out 6 shitheads. the world is overpopulated as it is.

8. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    -looks up at the arguments for and against this phones price-
    -shrugs-

I just like mine because its cool and after the 6, 7 and 8 it actually feels like something ‘different’ from apple :)

9. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #9 bigrand1, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Biggest over-rated phones with outrageous prices! Some Android phones have better specs without the ridiculous price tag. Samsung actually makes their screens for them. I’m happy where I’m at and for now, and I can spend my cash on other stuff! :D

10. ragnar28

ragnar28 Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Freelance graphic designer
    well look at that , and what happened with googles pixel launch i believe they are still trying to get their stuff together. All this despite iphones part in the uber scandal. People are really impressionabil

11. ragnar28

ragnar28 Member

Sep 17, 2017
    YES! all it is is hype , they sell o hype and make their product seem exclusive and upper class by denying it to be compatible with other platforms. however they have had many security breaks including uber and a few apps , they just sweep it under the rug. I smell smug.

12. grindlake

grindlake New Member

Nov 15, 2017
    I just don't get why people would still buy expensive, overrated phones

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    It’s all about the experience. If the iPhone X doesn’t do it for you, cool. For me, it’s what I’ve always wanted on a portable digital device, and a big step up from my iPhone 7. Considering how much time I spend on my phone, it’s very much worth it.

Of course, I never understand why anyone would care how other people spend their disposable income. I’m sure there’s stuff you spend money on that would leave me scratching my head. But I’d never doubt that you are getting something out of it.

14. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    if i get the 1,150USD price as you guys get there in the US, i wont even blink when i pressed the purchased button. the problem is the price here in my country(indonesia) is reaching the 2,100-2,200USD price point on launch day(nov 4th) and guess what? it still sold out within 3 hours. now the price has down to 1,700 and it still sell out like hot cakes. i will wait till at least on 1,400USD then i buy it. iPhone X is great despite the fact that i really hate the notch, but i will still buy it because nothing on android or any other phone can offer me what the iPhone offer(keep in mind that i've been using android too for years as a secondary phone until today).

15. redribbon

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    me too, i dont get why people spent 10,000USD on a watch just to show the time and nothing else. do u know why? its all about life priority, wants and life style. the point is, when you get the money, you'll understand ;)

16. boydstr

boydstr Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Male
    Gamer
    Netherlands
    IphoneX

When people can afford such expensive phone I can understand that they buy it I can’t afford to buy the iPhoneX but when hardworking people want to spend that money on the newest iPhone it is there good right to do so I don’t understand the discussion what buying an iPhone has to do with contributing to charity these are totally different things mabey the one that wrote the post about charity assume that when someone spend a large amount of money on buying a iPhoneX that he can easily give some money to charity mabey they already give a monthly som off money to charity I contribute monthly €3,- to World Nature Fund it’s not much but when a lot of people to this great things can be achieved but again buying a iPhoneX has nothing to do with giving to charity.

17. ragnar28

ragnar28 Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Because it a social status thing , similar to driving a Ferrari or a old capri. People are all about looks, social status and whooping out the latest phone is part of that , and Apple made sure kids know that.

It the way they market , fot the elite , the upper-class this means if you dont have one you are behind.

They do the same thing with Mac pcs although i will say the pcs do carry some actual advantages as compared to most of their competition .

18. redribbon

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    i can say the same thing to about mac, since i own imac, macbook pro and a 5000bucks pc, which makes my comment supposed to be legit. this thing will not over and can go on and on. one thing that you have to keep in mind is NOTHING is more powerful or better than the other. its all about choices and depend on your needs. each on their own have advantages and disadvantages.