Honey Tribe - Great art and music

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Shaz, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

#1 Shaz, May 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
    Hi, Shaz here from Honey Tribe Studios. We're a few weeks away from releasing Honey Tribe: Colony Collapse, our great new game that blends fact and fiction. We're looking for beta testers, just let me know if you want to help us test the game.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Playtest feedback so far:

"Gameplay is good, very compelling, seems it's all about getting in that top speed zone and then drifting through as close as you can - kind of like a sidescrolling Wipeout in a weird way" - Jon

"And I love the music you've used, I have actually stopped what I was doing to have a go on it just to have a listen to the music." - Bart

"I love the story line, the characters comments are hilarious!" - Jordan

There are two game modes, a level-based story mode and an endless mode with leader boards.

The story mode is based on the real world phenomenon known as Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD). Honey bee populations are declining globally and this is considered a big deal for humans as bees pollinate about a third of our food.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even though Corbee is a drone bee it's up to him to save the Honey Tribe colony. With the help of the Doc and your other friends in the hive you'll figure out what is making all the worker bees ill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Features:
    Beautiful hand drawn art.
    Retina supported graphics.
    Dynamic and immersive music.
    Easy to pick up, hard to put down gameplay.
    2 game modes: a level based story mode and an endless mode.
    Likeable characters and an entertaining story line.
    Seamless play - no loading times between levels and menus
    Move over birds, the bees are coming!

[​IMG]

Here's a video where I show the gamplay and talk about the music. All feedback welcome - just say what you think!

2. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Another gameplay video:

Let me know what you think. Feel free to be blunt, it's more useful than being polite.

3. Smithy

Smithy New Member

May 8, 2011
    This looks great. Love the art. I might just keep looking at the pictures and forget to play the game!! :) It looks really playable as well. Me and a friend have been looking in to keping bees recently. They're really are amazing. Anything that brings attention to them has got my vote. I know you said be blunt but I'm just really impressed. I think what you've done with the music is really clever as well. Good luck with the game. Let me know when it's out

4. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Cheers Smithy. I wasn't sure how well received the art style would be on these forums - so its nice to hear the enthusiasm about our game. (Do touch arcade fans prefer xbox style action games?)

It should be out at the end of May or start of June. Click one of the links in my forum signature and we'll be able to message you when it's on itunes.

5. bartlawless

bartlawless New Member

May 20, 2011
    Hypnotic

I really love the game, the art is strangely charming, and you're idea for the music really work well. And I love the music you've used, I have actually stopped what I was doing to have a go on it just to have a listen to the music.
    The game play is simple but fun, I always feel kind of happy playing, what have you cut this honey with, just a great little game!

6. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Cheers Bart, glad you're liking the gameplay. As its an iphone game simple but fun is what we're going for of course.

I should point out that Bart is one of our beta testers. If anyone else wants to test the game for us just let me know. We should have a new build out in a few days ready to be tested again.

7. qftrader

qftrader New Member

May 22, 2011
    bees

Nice graphics and looks fun. When is it coming out? Is there anything else like levels and points?

8. PhagoCychotic

PhagoCychotic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    I like the music and the art, except for the exterminator guy. His look seems so out of place from the rest of the graphics. Is this like a copter game?

9. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

#9 Shaz, May 22, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011
    @qftrader - Yeah, there are two game modes. A level-based story mode with achievements where your character helps to figure out what is wrong with the colony. And a challenge mode where you try and get the highest score (with leaderboards)

@PhagoCychotic - You mean his art style looks different? Or just having a human is weird when everything else is an insect/animal? (He's a feature of how the story progresses so we couldn't take him out altogether). The game plays like an avoid 'em up, yeah. Although the way the music works combined with the art and concept/story make it feel different from other games.

We've been cleaning up the game and adding stuff - it's looking really good and flows well. The playtesters so far have been reporting good things about the gameplay. Here's a quote from one:

"Gameplay is good, very compelling, seems it's all about getting in that top speed zone and then drifting through as close as you can - kind of like a sidescrolling Wipeout in a weird way"

I'll post some new screenshots/vid clips soon.

The bees are coming...!

10. AP9TV1

AP9TV1 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2010
    YouTube
    Still looking for testers?
    I'd be happy to help!

11. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

@AP9TV1 - Ok cool, just PM me your email and I'll send you over the latest build later today. Cheers! What device and OS will you be testing it on?

12. nickymelbourne

Apr 29, 2011
    Cool game , music is fantastic , graphic too ,maybe to put a little bit more animation ?

13. AP9TV1

AP9TV1 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2010
    YouTube
    I just PMed you all that information.

14. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

@nickymelbourne - Cheers. We've aded a few more things since that first video. I'll upload a new vid in the next couple of days and see what you think from that.

@AP9TV1 - Thanks, just sent you an email.

15. astralucid

astralucid Member

Jan 17, 2011
    awesome looking graphic! I like also like the music, is it a endless game or level based?

16. Iljimae

Iljimae Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Wow, looks great! I like the art and somehow music sound gets me into the game for a while... Nice :)

17. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

@astralucid - Cheers, there are two modes. A story mode with levels and an endless mode with leader boards.

@Iljimae - Glad you like the music - it's quite prominent in the game and adds a lot to the gameplay experience - more so than your average iphone game!

18. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

@rosyheisy - Glad you like the look of it. The artist has put a lot of effort into this game so he's always glad to see comments like yours. Cheers

19. iamafish

iamafish New Member

May 27, 2011
    Like it!

Just tried it on my wifes iphone 4. My kids really enjoyed playing it with me. I think the art work really appeals to them as its like a kids story book and its relatively easy to get the hang of how to play it.

The music is great, I love how what you do affects the music like you're actually playing with the background music. This games pretty addictive I must say... Once you think you're on a decent long streak something comes up!

I would say MORE gorgeous artwork and music!!

Look forward to the full release!

20. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

@iamafish - So I'm assuming you're Liz's husband? As currently she's our only female beta tester. Ok, glad your kids are liking it. We've tested on some older kids (11-16) but not on any young children yet.

Were they able to play the later levels or just the first few? I would have thought that it might get too hard for young children after around level 6? Unless it's some kind of ninja child :)

More music and art? Hmmm...