Universal Frost (Survival card game by Jerome Bodin)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by LordGek, Sep 26, 2016.

1. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    I've only completed turorial and a single run through on easy..enjoying it a lot. LordGek, are you saying subsequent run throughs of classic evolve due to previously unlocked Ideas and Events being included?

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Exactly! There are characters to unlock with handy innate abilities (clear a scenario and you can then use that guy in Classic), but beyond that, simply by playing several games in any mode dozens of new hazards and handy tools will get unlocked and mixed into future sessions.

3. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Haven't gotten that far yet, but is it true the deck composition display shown lower left corner gets removed in the harder modes? If true, I'm a little disappointed because all that does is serve up a memory test and to those that just aren't interested in that aspect could take away from the game. I've started to find that lower left indicator very helpful in telling me when to end my turn because the chances are that my next draw will be better. That aspect shouldn't be left to a memory test or note taking is my belief. Ascension for example lets you view all cards that you own from any pile (it of course jumbles them up), and an example of another game that allows this is pathfinder adventures. That allows the strategy to stay front and foremost right in front of your eyes. Think about leaving this game mid run and coming back to try and remember what you had so far. If the dev is reading, I'd urge the implementation of at least an in game option from settings to turn it on.
    My 2c for an otherwise nifty little game.

4. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    That's the way I thought while I was playing the steam version as well, didn't dive into hard mode much though but love this game =]

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    It can be annoying, at least you can look through your discard pile by tapping on the very bottom of the screen.

6. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    #46 Talbs, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Just to confirm, the discard pile is in the bottom right of middle. If that's the case, I have yet to be able to bring that up by tapping on it, even on a 6+. See attached photo. If I tap in that area, I'll mostly hit the right most card of my hand. I've tried a lot and I can't get it to respond. And I don't even have fat fingers.

If the discard pile was actually displayable then I guess the missing information box would be less of a dilemma, but as it is, I could have no idea about what I'm holding in my deck and that certainly detracts.

Attached Files:

7. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    #47 mzinn, Sep 27, 2016
    I found it best to flip my thumb around & it opens up every time. It really should be easier but at least I can open it now.

Really enjoying the game so far. Nice tutorial to get you going & pretty solid game all in all. It's climbing my list of favorite card games.

8. Rawk GWJ

Rawk GWJ Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2014
    I love the minimalist art style. Concept art / pencil sketches are really cool.

That said, I'm surprised at how only the newest evinces are supported.

9. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I just tried to activate it over and over again over a period of like half an hour while playing through easy and then some of medium and no amount of any tapping, thumbs or index fingers, will bring the discard pile up for me. What device are you playing on?

10. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    iPad Air 2. It's not easy but once you I found a way I get it every time. I use my thumb & touch just under my fingernail at the bottom edge of the screen. Also if I hold it for a second it'll open when I release. Hope that helps & you find a way that works for you. But more importantly hope the dev improves that feature soon.

11. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Pure genius, I haven't loved a card game this much since dream quest. Great job developers :)

12. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Sounds like the iPad type device could Be a big difference in our success stories. On iPhone 6+ is where I'm playing.
    Any others found this a problem? Hopefully there's a fix

13. joseywales

joseywales Member

Aug 17, 2016
    I haven't played dream quest. Just watched video of it and I'm intrigued by both games. Opinions on which one to pick up first?

14. Citronaut

Citronaut Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Just bought this and super excited to get into it. Really hope screen rotating comes in an update though.

15. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I always get caught in that same thought-loop (trap) when a new game comes out.. I am pondering the same question as you. While I am sure that each game stands on it own, it would still be interesting to hear a comparison of the two..

16. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    This one is a survival based card game Dream Quest is roguelike dungeon crawler/card game they are both amazing and worthy of a buy

17. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    That sums it up simply and nicely. Thanks.

18. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    a
    The only downside of the Dream Quest, to me, is the developer has gone working on Hearthstone and the game is very likely never sees an update any more.

Disclaimer: I have DQ and love it!

Back to Frost: and if LordGek mentions a game is good, I either buy it outright or put it on my Wish List.

19. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Yes, you're right. I was happily viewing it on an iPad, but no amount of clicking works on an iPhone (easy classic mode, iPhone 6s). iPad it is for now then!

20. Armadi

Armadi Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2016
    #60 Armadi, Sep 27, 2016
    I'm currently loving this game! Playing on iphone 6s plus and have run into a few issues.

1. When playing the first scenario, "father" sometimes using the ability to take a wound and lose 2 fatigue cards only allowed me to remove 1 fatigue card. Edit: This bug also persists in classic mode. ... it may only happen after using the ability several times.

2. If I set down my phone for long enough that it goes to the lock screen the game resets and I lose my progress. This also happens if I exit the game for a bit while leaving it in my system tray.

3. I think there is a max hand size of 7? But if I play supplies with 4 cards in hand (so 3 left in hand after playing supplies) I only gain 3 cards instead of the 4 it should be.

4. I want to echo the earlier sentiment that I would prefer to reduce the memory component in the game by having the option to keep the deck composition listing that is present in the tutorial and easy mode when playing scenarios or medium/hard difficulty.

Big thanks to the developer, this is a great game!