Universal Quest Heroes - A tactical dungeon crawler with board game elements

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by dTb, Jun 18, 2015.

1. dTb

dTb Member

#1 dTb, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    Quest Heroes
    iOS / Android

[​IMG]

Hi all!

I am very excited to introduce to you Quest Heroes, a project I'm personally working on since almost one year and that has been in active development for 7 months. It's a tactical-squad-based-dungeon-crawler-with-board-game-elements. Yes, I know, it's a long description. But there are other ways to present it:

1. It's the digital counterpart of physical board games like ‎HeroQuest‬, Descent, Mice & Mystics, Super Dungeon Explore, etc.
    2. What if Final Fantasy Tactics and Diablo had a child together?

Or even better, a couple of screenshots are worth a thousand words:

[​IMG]...[​IMG]

[​IMG]...[​IMG]

Main features:

● A rule set totally compatible with real life board-gaming. We will release a free print-and-play version at some point of the development process.

● A not-so-serious medieval fantasy world in which, for instance, the mayors are exploiting zombies to clean out their sewers and sending adventurers to teach them a lesson when they go on strike (even the dead feel entitled to at least one day off per week).

● You manage a pool of heroes: before each quest, you select the members of the party.

● Ultimate party-building freedom. If you'd rather have an adventuring party made up of three wizards and a thief instead of the traditional warrior-archer-dwarf-wizard combo, then go for it! It's totally up to you.

● No frustrating class-based gear limitations. Characters can equip and use any weapon or equipment as soon as they have the required stats, regardless of their class.

● Permadeath. However, there are resurrection scrolls (extremely rare, and usable only right after the death) and you can pick up a dead character's gear, so nothing is ever completely lost.

● Heaps of magic, monsters, missions, skills and items... indeed.

● Randomly generated quests.

● Special rooms with their special tricks, traps, rules and puzzles.

● Monster's AI using different kind of group-strategies depending on the situation, and a different individual AI for each kind of monster/foe.

● Cross platform: iOS, Android, Windows and Mac.

● And of course bosses, traps, secret passages, different environments, multiple victory conditions...

[​IMG]...[​IMG]

[​IMG]...[​IMG]

You can help

Right now we are looking for a publisher ready to fund the rest of the development (because even if we would love to dedicate our lives to Quest Heroes, we have families to feed and bills to pay). Until now we've managed to survive, but cash is running low. We need to find funds during the next few months else the project may end prematurely. And the best way to convince a publisher that Quest Heroes can succeed is to show them how many people can't wait to get their hands on it! So, if you like what you see here, please follow us on Twitter! If we get enough followers and feedbacks we are confident we're going to find an interested publisher. And if you don't have a Twitter account, please leave a message here instead, it's already much appreciated, or visit our website www.quest-heroes.com to know what else you can do :).

Videos

Official trailer/teaser

Raw (soundless) prototype gameplay footage

Updates

2015/11/14

Hi everybody!

A small update to let you know that we now have an official trailer/teaser (see the video section above)!

We've also updated our devlog:
    http://www.quest-heroes.com/blog.php

In short, the development is still going on, we are still looking for publishers/investors and we may hit a crowdfunding platform at some point, most likely Patreon. A second artist (Reno, a french comic drawer) is collaborating with us now, he took care of the cover illustration that you can see on the video's screenshot.

If you like the project and want the freshest news you can follow our Twitter @QuestHeroes.
    And if you have any question/comment/reaction, go ahead right here! :)

2. buzznaut

buzznaut Active Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Yes please

3. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Take my money.

4. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
    Why not try to find the funds via kickstarter?

5. dTb

dTb Member

Hi!

Thank you for your messages!

We are considering it also, but this way has downsides: the preparation of a kickstarter is a full-time job during 2~3 months, especially for a small team like us (two persons). This is a cost not directly related to the development that has to be included in the requested amount. Prizes preparation and shipping, even if most are virtual, are also something extremely time consuming according to everyone who did a Kickstarter, so we can add another month of work. And if we have physical prizes, this is also another "unnecessary" cost.

We are also far from being communication professionals and a Kickstarter campaign is basically a communication campaign. Our passion is creation and it's what we do the best: game design, graphics, programming... communication is exactly what a publisher is good at. So if we run a Kickstarter campaign alone, we are not sure to reach the target.

But, as I said, we are considering at it. If we start one, we still need to have as many believers and followers as possible on social networks :)!

6. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    wish you luck in your search for a publisher

7. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Count me interested

8. firstordergames

firstordergames Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Game Devloper
    Los Angeles
    Looks pretty deep. Nice one. :)

9. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Damn this looks good. Do us all a favour and don't make this f2p and online only crap. Primo, standalone on device is the way to go for this kind of thing, ala Warhammer Quest, hunters, Arcane Quest 2. All epic and all I for one will throw money at time and time again.
    Day one buy from me, at any price (ok there is a limit).
    Wish you luck.

10. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    This is exactly the type of game I would love to play!
    I hope you find someone to back your project soon.

Consider having some hidden rooms with goodies as well.
    Perhaps a cracked wall can be broken etc.

Thanks

11. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Good luck finding a publisher, I very much want to play your game. :)

12. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Looks excellent. Good luck and make sure to ping the boardgamegeek people.

13. Phoenix24

Phoenix24 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 7, 2012
    Lancashire, England
    This game has the looks of Warhammer Quest which is still in my top 5 iOS games ever, and probably the most I have ever spent on a digital
    game (including all expansions and most of the characters).

I really hope you are able to turn this game project to reality, as there are lots of players like me who would buy in a heartbeat.

Good luck guys, I will watch this space with great interest.

14. Dongmaster

Dongmaster Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    For the love of God... I love WQ with a passion and this looks just as good if not better.

Kickstart or let me pay you now! :cool:

15. dTb

dTb Member

Whaoo, I just found out that Quest Heroes was featured on TA's homepage!
    I was not expecting that to happen so quickly, thank you Carter for the exposure!

Rest assured, we're not big fans of this things too.
    So yes, it's going to be an old fashioned premium game.
    Price will most likely be around $7.

Sure! This will be a part of the "secret passages" feature. You will have to search at a particular place where you think a secret passage may exists. Hints will be given by the architecture (for example an unexplored, unreachable and unexplainable area between multiple rooms), by furniture position (a space between two bookcases), by player's sixth sense (seriously, who would not search for a secret passage behind a throne ;)) or as you suggested (good idea) by a special wall design (but this would not be a feature in the physical version: if the DM put a "cracked wall tile" on the board, it's going to be a little too obvious for the players).

Thanks! We will for sure.

I hope so... I would have been one myself :D.

16. merridew

merridew New Member

Sep 28, 2014
    This looks up my alley

Any possible chance of asynchronous multiplayer? This was mentioned on the TA article thread but I didn't see a response.

A friend and I have played the browser game Conclave countless times with every combo imaginable and could probably quote you the entire plot. Fresh blood is needed!

No matter what, this game looks like fun. Best of luck to you!

17. Cerxop65

Cerxop65 Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    My money's yours

18. dTb

dTb Member

#18 dTb, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    Hi merridew! Sorry for my late answer (you can discover the reason here and here ;)).

Sadly, multiplayer is not something we are going to push in the initial release.. and I think it will never be (until a theoretical Quest Heroes 2). We thought a lot about this feature, but it would be a HUGE development cost. We decided to use the time we will have to push more fun features in the solo experience instead (more monsters, more spells, more special traps and rooms, better AI, etc.).

Thank you very much for your support!

Thank you!

EDIT: I just had a look at Conclave, it seems to be a game featuring two (or more) relatively balanced factions fighting against each other, right? On the other side, Quest Heroes is oriented towards exploration and discoveries, trying to avoid traps and to discover hidden treasures.

It would be interesting to create an asymmetric gameplay where the dungeon master controls the monsters and is also leveling up as the adventurers (like the tabletop game Descent in fact), but it would be a much more ambitious game... and with its current specs Quest Heroes is already ambitious... yes, maybe a QH2 in a certain number of years?... :)

19. dTb

dTb Member

#19 dTb, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    Hi everybody!

A small update to let you know that we now have an official trailer/teaser!

We've also updated our devlog:
    http://www.quest-heroes.com/blog.php

In short, the development is moving forward, we are still looking for publishers/investors and we may hit a crowdfunding platform at some point, most likely Patreon. A second artist (Reno, a french comic drawer) is collaborating with us now, he took care of the cover illustration that you can see on the video's screenshot.

If you like the project and want the freshest news you can follow our Twitter @QuestHeroes.
    And if you have any question/comment/reaction, go ahead right here! :)

20. CoreyFox

CoreyFox Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Beautiful! Good luck with it..