★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Premium vs Freemium

03-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeblik View Post
Another thing I've been noticing: freemium has also spread to PC gaming as free2play. Even a few downloadable console titles are free. So if a few people on this thread are correct, freemium is the downfall of all gaming, not just iOS.
This is an increasing concern among console and PC owners. The backlash against micro-transactions and always-online games is pretty strong. It seems nobody "really" wants it to happen, except maybe EA. I suppose freemium's biggest success story is League of Legends, but come on, the game is garbage.
03-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Considering how little devs make from these apps, I understand why many choose freemium. Unfortunately I think the prices for virtual goods get a bit ridiculous.

I used to buy a lot of games from Gameloft until they went this route. Personally, I'd rather pay more for the game to avoid IAP. I see nothing wrong with paying $10-$20 for an iOS game, if its worth it. I'm not going to pay $20 for a Temple Run game obviously.

I think devs need to start asking more and we need to be willing to pay more if we want good quality games with no IAP.

Maybe I'm wrong about how much devs make. I'm going off what a dev said in another forum for one of the games they made. Might have been PWN: Combat Hacking.
03-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
This is an increasing concern among console and PC owners. The backlash against micro-transactions and always-online games is pretty strong. It seems nobody "really" wants it to happen, except maybe EA. I suppose freemium's biggest success story is League of Legends, but come on, the game is garbage.
An example of the complete fail of always online is the late launch of Simcity.
03-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeblik View Post
An example of the complete fail of always online is the late launch of Simcity.
That's a whooole other discussion...lol