Air Hockey: Face-Off

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by briandittmer, Sep 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. briandittmer

briandittmer Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Engineer / Ideator
    Columbus, OH
    #1 briandittmer, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
    UPDATE: Air Hockey: Face-Off has been approved by Apple! Get it now here: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=329336004&mt=8 or visit http://www.sadrobotsoftware.com/airhockey/ for more info! Remember it's free!

Hey guys, first time poster so go easy on me :). Below are some screen shots of Air Hockey: Face-Off, an app a buddy and I developed and have waiting in the queue (it's been there since Aug 27 so it should land soon!).

The game is a free, multiplayer only (for now - verison 1.1 will have a practice mode) air hockey game that uses the GameKit API (aka bluetooth) for wireless communication. The game uses both screens as the playing surface so the puck will actually fly from your screen on to your opponents screen. Other than that it's really just air hockey as usual...although we don't put those annoying paddles on the screen like every other air hockey game out there. Now for some screen shots...

[​IMG]
    This is an image of the home screen. Pretty basic.

[​IMG]
    Our about screen. The company my friend and I formed is Sad Robot Software and we did all the development/engineering/brainstorming. A dude I work with at my day job, a great designer, has his own thing called Think.Do.Create. and they did all the graphics work.

[​IMG]
    This is the options menu. Here you can set the game duration or a maximum amount of scorable points before a game ends. You can also just turn them off and play forever.

[​IMG]
    Ahhh...finally some game screen shots. Looks like a pretty standard air hockey game...

[​IMG]
    Still looks that way...

[​IMG]
    Until you shoot the puck across screens at your opponents goal. The blue light at the top of the screen indicates where the puck is on your opponents screen...although you can always just look over.

And that's it...I think we are going to try and record some video of us playing it today and get it uploaded to YouTube or something so if that happens I will get a video posted. Otherwise I will just post back here when the app has landed! What do you guys think?

Cheers-
    Brian

2. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Welcome to TA :D

Graphics looks great :) Will be waiting for that video :p

3. otggamer

otggamer Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Wow this looks fantastic, can't wait for some video...perhaps I should have held off on buying Arcade Hockey!

4. LonERecoN

LonERecoN Well-Known Member

Looks decent! Gameplay video?

5. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Looks awesome I'll definitely be looking out for this one.

6. briandittmer

briandittmer Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Engineer / Ideator
    Columbus, OH
    I will have a video up later this evening...we're heading to a bar after work to shoot it. They have wifi so I will probably just upload it from there. Stay tuned!

7. cookiemonster

cookiemonster Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    fun fun. looking forward to seeing some gameplay

8. briandittmer

briandittmer Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Engineer / Ideator
    Columbus, OH
    Additional Screenshots

My designer (Carl) has been nagging me that the screen shots I posted from the simulator don't accurately reflect what the game looks like on screen so here are two additional images he gave me to get up here...

[​IMG]
    You can see here touching the screen puts a circle around your "paddle" to make it easier to see where you're shooting.

[​IMG]
    Just another shot of the screen when the puck is on your device.

Hope everyone enjoys...video is coming soon.

9. briandittmer

briandittmer Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Engineer / Ideator
    Columbus, OH
    Video!!

http://www.vimeo.com/6634253

Here's a live action video. It takes a little bit for the initial connection to be made but subsequent connections are a lot quicker. If anyone has any insight into this problem (with Apple's GameKit) PLEASE private message me...I'd love to chat with you. In version 1.1 we'll be adding WiFi support. Oh, and sorry for any adult language in the video :)

10. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Looks good!! But I suggest you make another video because I think in this one, you were pairing your two devices for the first time and hence the pairing took very long. People who dont know might think that your game is pairing the devices slow.

Im definitely getting the game. But would it be possible to have the game also work in landscape mode? Because I think that would make the combined playing field more similar to the dimensions of an actual air hockey table. Pretty pleaseeee :D

11. briandittmer

briandittmer Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Engineer / Ideator
    Columbus, OH
    Interesting idea having a landscape mode (we honestly never thought of it)...we will definitely experiment with that. Thanks for the feedback!

P.S. If you want to play this game before it comes out email me at [email protected] with two UDID's for your devices (this release is ONLY multiplayer). If the app isn't approved by this coming Monday (21st of Oct) I will send you a provisioning profile and app binary you can install and play.

12. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    #12 Prab, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
    Edit: UDIDs sent :)

Btw, I was looking closely at the video a second time and I think when the puck leaves the screen of one device, it immediately appears on the screen of the other device? Im thinking if it would be better (for the player's sense of distance and angle) to incorporate the lag time that the puck would go through if it actually had to go from from one screen to the other. Basically, it should travel the distance between the two screens (the black part of both devices).

13. briandittmer

briandittmer Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Engineer / Ideator
    Columbus, OH
    Hrmmm...interesting idea...so do you mean the actual physical distances between the devices? We are going for one seamless surface so, hopefully, people play close enough to see what's going on. Otherwise they have the blue indicator to see where the puck is!

BTW Prab: UDIDs are recorded, I will send you a link tomorrow around noon EST!

14. briandittmer

briandittmer Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Engineer / Ideator
    Columbus, OH
  15. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Yeah.. I meant the physical distance.