strange ratings on appstore

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Breakdown Studios, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Breakdown Studios

Breakdown Studios Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2010
    3D artist
    Outerspace
    I have just noticed something strange happening on the Star ratings of the appstore, and I would like to know if anybody else experienced something similar.

I was checking all the ratings around the world today, when I came across Russia, where we have received 17 ratings for our full version application, then I asked myself, 17 ratings? This is strange I don´t think we sold any copy in Russia actually. So I checked and in fact we sold only 1 copy there.

Now the first thing that came to my mind was, Russia = lot of pirate versions and by thinking that I came to the conclusion that possibly people with pirate version can actually vote on appstore! Does anybody can confirm this? If this is possible it would be very unprofessional from apple and could lead to more false ratings then we can already see.

2. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    As far as I know, you can't vote a game unless you purchased it and it is registered in your iTunes account. It would be strange if pirates could make iTunes think that pirated apps are legit purchases - and going all this trouble just to rate apps? Sounds unlikely to me.

3. Alienmario

Alienmario Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    gaming! lol
    idk udk
    it may be possible

4. Breakdown Studios

Breakdown Studios Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2010
    3D artist
    Outerspace
    This is exactly what I was thinking as well, but I can´t really explain the extra 17 ratings we have otherwise.