★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
08-22-2013, 10:34 PM
#11
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Pinellas, FL
Posts: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Unless it was a pixel heavy art style, x2 mode will always look bad, more often than not.
I believe the new iOS 7 will utilize the retina resolution for iPad making these 2x mode talks non existent. If that's the case, get started on your Kingdom already!
08-23-2013, 12:27 AM
#12
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 111
Picked it up... it's just like every other one of these online only army/kingdom building games, I don't see any innovation and comparing it to the HoMM games is dissapointing, the combat is the least important part of these games... and all it did was give expectations that this does not deliver.
If you like it you might as well give Ubisoft's HoMM Online a shot, it might be better...

Its not for me, I'd rather get an offline only HoMM game than this, not even the quality of the combat is comparable. I've played five of the HoMM games, so I gave this a shot because of the mention in the description. Other people may like it, this just my opinion.

08-23-2013, 02:35 AM
#13
Game Impressions

08-23-2013, 06:54 AM
#14
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 20,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotDamn View Post
I believe the new iOS 7 will utilize the retina resolution for iPad making these 2x mode talks non existent. If that's the case, get started on your Kingdom already!
I dont see how something in the hardware will affect the visuals in the software, but if you are right, then it could make a difference.

Even so, it's like saying making a 480p movie look as sharp as a 1080p movie on a 42 inch HDTV, just becasue your HDTV runs something like iOS7 in it.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
08-23-2013, 12:40 PM
#15
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Pinellas, FL
Posts: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantyr View Post
Picked it up... it's just like every other one of these online only army/kingdom building games, I don't see any innovation and comparing it to the HoMM games is dissapointing, the combat is the least important part of these games... and all it did was give expectations that this does not deliver.
If you like it you might as well give Ubisoft's HoMM Online a shot, it might be better...

Its not for me, I'd rather get an offline only HoMM game than this, not even the quality of the combat is comparable. I've played five of the HoMM games, so I gave this a shot because of the mention in the description. Other people may like it, this just my opinion.
Ive played and love HoMM and they are great games. They probably didnt do themselves any favors comparing their game to HoMM either. You see, I have tried these types of games many times before. And I always come away dissatisfied. However this one, this one gets it oh so right.

If you are a HoMM player coming in to this game cold without experience like mine, I can see you hating it, and I certainly wouldn't blame you.

Until they have a proper online version (or offline) of HoMM that doesn't suck and goes mobile; you'll be able to find me grinding it out in LoD.

Edit: Oh and also I love the resource management of this game, the combat is just an added bonus for me. Usually the combat in these types falls short which is one reason I dig LoD, aside from the hero and kingdom management. To each their own tho.

Last edited by ScotDamn; 08-23-2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: lack of caffeine.
08-23-2013, 01:02 PM
#16
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Pinellas, FL
Posts: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
I dont see how something in the hardware will affect the visuals in the software, but if you are right, then it could make a difference.

Even so, it's like saying making a 480p movie look as sharp as a 1080p movie on a 42 inch HDTV, just becasue your HDTV runs something like iOS7 in it.
Let me rephrase my earlier comment.

The new iOS will utilize the resolution of the retinas higher resolution instead of non retina resolutions which it currently does. This will give a higher quality look when playing non universal iphone games. (as long as retina is available)

Regarding your comment about 480p as sharp as 1080p; not sure where that's coming from. Those are 2 different resolutions. Retina is good for 960x640.

Check out this link to fill you in.
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/09/...-retina-ipads/

After reading my own link I see this may only apply to non retina iPads which I'm not sure which one you sport.

Last edited by ScotDamn; 08-23-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: added last sentence
08-23-2013, 01:13 PM
#17
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Pinellas, FL
Posts: 1,760
I don't have an iPad but hopefully will soon enough but I can't believe they havent done this earlier. It only makes sense really. I would assume iPad owners would think the same thing. I mean, why NOT take advantage of the higher retina resolution when playing non universal iPhone games or apps?
10-18-2013, 03:03 PM
#18
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 8
How aren't more people talking about this game.