iPad Games with iPhone/iPod as a controller

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Cyacene, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Cyacene

Cyacene Member

Apr 15, 2011
    #1 Cyacene, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
    EDIT June 15th: Added "coming soon"
    EDIT May 11th: Updated list based on input from comments

So I just went out and bought the the digital AV adapter and have been having a lot of fun displaying some apps on my TV. What has me intrigued the most is using the iPad connected to my TV as a game console and my iPhone as a controller. I thought we could start a thread that lists games where this feature is supported, and update it as more games come out that include it. If anyone has any comments or has heard of anything more, please post!

Game developers, is this feature hard to implement? Is lag a big issue (personally I havent noticed any), are you planning on adding this to your game in the future?

Coming Soon:
    Fifa 12 - EA had Fifa running on an LCD screen via an iPad 2, with 2 iPods as controllers!!

Current games:
    Chopper 2
    PadRacer
    Scrabble (requires iPad interaction)
    MPad - SNAKE
    MPad - PLANE
    The Incident
    Bombastic HD
    Invaders World Tour
    Max Adventure
    Project SD1
    NeoDefender 2

2. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    Invaders World Tour
    Max Adventure -

-- and I thought I was the only one who purchased MPad - SNAKE &
    MPad - PLANE. Unfortunately, they haven't further supported this concept with newer games, as mentioned in their ad.

3. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    Works pretty good on the aforementioned Invaders World Tour which I bought it the other day just to try out this feature. Hopefully more devs will bring us universal apps with this built into the suite of gameplay options- though I doubt it will ever appear as standard.

4. Cyacene

Cyacene Member

Apr 15, 2011
    OR - Chopper 2 has released a dedicated free app for iPhone/iPad to use just as a controller for their game. Pretty good option if your not wanting to release a universal app.

5. Stealthy Monk

Stealthy Monk Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Project SD1 advertises the ability to control with iphone/view on ipad. Didnt try it out as i found the game kind of...meh.

Very interested in the concept though.

6. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    Even better

You can use a Wii remote to play some emulators...like nes, snes, playstation and TG-16. I find this works great with the iPad on planes. There are some emulators that let you use the iPhone as a controller but i find the lack of buttons does have a negative impact on control. I am just sad that my new iPod touch is not yet able to be jail broken as i really want to plat Final Fantasy 7 on it.

7. meyumedev

meyumedev Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Also, our other app, NeoDefender 2 supports the TV and remote controller:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/neodefender-2/id403744473?mt=8
    Cheers
    Scott

8. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    so is padracer any good ?

9. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    Don't forget:
    The Incident

Great game BTW!

Edit: I somehow missed it on the list but it's already there... Still, it deserves to be mentioned a second time :D

10. Cyacene

Cyacene Member

Apr 15, 2011
    List Updated with coming soon section..

Anyone find any others out there?

11. csquared587

csquared587 New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    I cant figure out how to do this in Max Adventure. Any tips?

12. vdvgames

vdvgames Active Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Chief Game Guru
    Singapore/Bangkok
    iphone/ipad linked multiplayer games

We're actually in the midst of developing a whole suite of linked multiplayer games that will allow any number of players to play a game on an iPad using their iPhones (look out for them towards the end of the year).

I do have a question for everyone here who likes to control an iPad game with their iPhones, would you rather pay for an iPad game then get all of your friends to download the iPhone game controller for free to play with you OR would you prefer every player to pay a much smaller amount for the iphone controller and get the iPad game for free?

http://www.facebook.com/vdvgames

http://www.vdvgames.com