STORY and emotions games on iOS?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Whiteplayer3d, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Whiteplayer3d

Whiteplayer3d Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Czech Republic
    Exist for iOS game with emotional scenes or with amazing story? (on PC eg: Indigo Prophecy - Fahrenheit)

2. 12yam

12yam Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Toronto
    Hmmm...Maybe look into Chaos Rings. I wasn't bothered to play the whole game, but read the spoilers online, and the story looks to be really interesting and could probably fit your criteria. Other great games with interesting storylines are Broken Sword and Phoenix Wright. Sacred Odyssey is another good one, if you're not into point and click games. It's story is far inferior to those of the game's mentioned earlier, but I'd still say it's pretty decent and probably the best from Gameloft.

3. Whiteplayer3d

Dec 30, 2010
    Czech Republic
    Thank you very much :)

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Phoenix Wright!

5. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery draws these really abstract, wonderous feelings when you play it. Really cool story...

Phoenix Wright has a super unbelievable, ridiculous story that's really fun to play through anyway.

Spider: Secret of Bryce Manor, by now an Appstore "classic," is storytelling in an innovative exploring format where you must piece the story together by yourself.

6. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    This is definitely a department that iOS is lacking in.
    Story is one of the reasons why I haven't gone all-iOS

7. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Phoenix Wright has without a doubt the BEST story in a game that I have EVER played!!!!!

8. klako

klako Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    If you don't mind visual novel:
    Kira☆Kira(eng)
    That is definitely the best visual novel on app store. Quite expensive, but worth the money. Try the lite version first.

9. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    You're not really going to find this on the iOS platform. Premium Storytelling denotes an extra level of polish that indie developers often can't afford and major developers often don't want to spring for. Even in something like Galaxy on Fire 2, where they really did try, it still fell flat for me. Same thing with Chaos Rings. The storytelling never feels console-quality to me, in any iOS game, even though various other elements of certain games do feel console-like at times.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Youre not doing yourself any favours by spamming this same post several times in the forum.

Because of that i'm not going to bother checking it out. Create one post in 'new games' and then leave it at that

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Too bad, it's decent.

I'd also recommend dream:scape which is excellent, except the 'combat' is a little tricky.

12. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    I don't think iOS games are any worse than games on any other platform as far as story is concerned - too many developers seem frightened of putting decent story into their games.

On iOS there are some titles that have strong story elements and which are quite emotive. As already mentioned Superbrothers Sword & Sworcery is superb - the ending of that had a very strong emotional 'pull'. GTA Chinatown has quite a good story - a typical mix of comedy and action with some good characters. And funnily enough, I though Space Miner was pretty good - well written dialogue and characters as well as fun gameplay. But of course developers on all platforms need to see that story can be as important as graphics and gameplay IMHO.

Best story driven game ever? 'Alan Wake' on Xbox360 I reckon. A superbly crafted story reminiscent of a Stephen King novel.

13. Whiteplayer3d

Dec 30, 2010
    Czech Republic
    Thank you all ;)

14. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    I second this. The english localization effort by the japanese company is quite dismal compared to the English release by MangaGamers, but what this visual novel provides is up to 30-50 hours of pure story.

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    If you don't mind oblique storytelling, check out the whole 1112 series. Part 3 in particular was one the most satisfying narrative experiences I've has in gaming in a long time -- even though it doesn't have a real conclusion!

16. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    I love me a game with a great story :D

Phoenix Wright - Split into 5 cases, so there are actually 5 great stories for the price of one. This is the only iOS game with a great story that has received the recognition it deserves. A port of a DS game, which was a port of a GBA game. Other two games in the trilogy are not yet released for iOS.
    Deathsmiles - I love this game more for its gameplay, sound, graphics etc but the story just makes it better. Although it is simple, it's quite entertaining. The game is a shoot-em-up with RPG elements, and a few short cutscenes. There are three different endings depending on the difficulty you finish it on.
    Bumpy Road - Simogo somehow pulled off a powerful and emotional story with no words.
    Crimson Gem Saga - Okay the story here isn't fantastic but it gets pretty good at the end. Plus the gameplay is amazing...definitely the best turn-based RPG on the App Store.
    Ghost Trick - I don't really want to give a description for this game because no matter what I write, it would do the game no justice. All I can say is that the story was written by Shu Takumi, the mastermind behind the Phoenix Wright series, and that the plot here surpasses the stories of all 3 PW games combined. I must also regrettably add that this game is a port of a DS game, but the iPhone version is only available in Japanese in the Japanese App Store. For the full experience, I would play the game on a DS; the game has already been translated for that platform.
    Gift - A visual novel like KiraKira; unfortunately the english version was pulled by the developers because they wanted to improve on the medicore translation, but I managed to get it and it's very great and touching, probably has like 100+ hours reading too if you bother to get all the endings.
    The Secret of Chateau de Moreau - A mystery/detective game by a Korean company. The story does not flow as well as PW or GT, but it is still made pretty engrossing by the atmosphere. Forty different endings to unlock, all of which are very fun to aim for. Translation is perfect.

17. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I forgot about Dirt - an oldie but a goodie.
    Gamebook Adventures 1-6 - plenty of story here, same with the Fabled Lands & Fighting Fantasy apps.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    If we're bringing RPGs into the equation, Avadon has a very rich story. The War of Eustrath also has a big story, though some of the character interactions can get downright annoying. Ash is another RPG with a good a story, and so far Symphony of Eternity is definitely intriguing.

On a different note, I rather enjoyed the story at the core of Puzzle Agent, though I have yet to play the sequel.

19. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Yep, yep, and yep! Fantastic story. You REALLY need to play the second one sz. Just as good as the first. :)