Outer Empires MMO App Submitted to Apple

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Paul Hutson, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Hutson

Paul Hutson Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Hello,

App Version With Apple
    Well, finally (as of last Friday) the Outer Empires App was sent over to Apple and we're now into their approval process.

You can see a video trailer of the app in action below.

Browser Version Released
    At the same time, we've also released the browser version of the game, it's the same Galaxy, same account, but accessed via the browser. Once the iDevice client comes out you'll be able to use your browser client to log into it (and vice versa).

Play the browser version now here : http://gameview.outer-empires.com : and get a head start!

More Information
    If you have any questions or comments, do let me know!

There is loads of information on the the official website and more yet on the the Outer Empires Wiki.

Regards,
    Paul Hutson

Lead Developer Outer Empires

2. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Let me be the first in a long line of people to say...

Yay!

3. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Is this text-based or what?

4. Paul Hutson

Jun 20, 2009
    No, see the video and try the desktop browser version :)

5. Brazilian Rider

Mar 6, 2009
    Question about the Online Version:

I tried to create an account a little while ago and reached an error, and today I tried again and the same thing happens!

What it is, is when I click on the 'Create Account' button after everything is filled in. The button disappears and 'Connecting to Server...' appears for about a second, and then the button comes back. Nothing else happened.

Can you help?

6. Paul Hutson

Jun 20, 2009
    Sure, it means you need to upgrade your browser : if you're using Firefox, upgrade it to the latest version.

7. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Oh sorry, id ont have flash on this computer.:)

8. Brazilian Rider

Mar 6, 2009
    Damn, guess I gotta use IE8... I was running Chrome too!

It's so fast!

9. Paul Hutson

Jun 20, 2009
    It's not a flash based game, it literally runs in browser code! :)

Chrome is fine, you just need the latest version! (and the game won't work in IE!!)

10. Brazilian Rider

Mar 6, 2009
    Double Damn! Well then I'm gonna have to wait for it to download >.>

11. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    My best guess for this app coming out is next friday (ie 2 wks with apple) but I can't belie ve this is the first proper MMO for iphone and it's not getting much hype here ?????? Well looking forward to it myself tho ....:D

12. yournothere

yournothere Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2009
    i dont feel like looking it up so im just going to ask here. Was do you do in this game? Is it like a RPG feel?

13. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    It's a game like Eve, it's a mmo, and it's mostly about trading goods/killing.

14. Paul Hutson

Jun 20, 2009
    Less RPG and more sandbox galaxy, where you can do pretty much whatever you want :)

15. sushibox

sushibox Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    In the iDevice MMO-Space this game is coming out in my opinion as a clear top to what has become a heap of these "friend-code-trading" MMO games. While there are a select few games that can be plucked from the iTunes store that have a somewhat mildly MMO feel to them, this really sinks it's teeth into the notion of a persistent world game and does so with remarkable ability.

I'd agree with others in comparing this to EVE, in the sense that there's a huge part of this game that deals with you as a player trying to establish yourself in the galaxy by means of rank (levels which are attained via XP earned), the jobs you complete (quest-style missions which yield xp and money) and the fleet you own (ships under your command most often assembled through a series of pieces you've attained). What is most intriguing to me, or what made me join in the beta and fall for this game in the first place, was also the micro-management of colonies.

Long story short, you complete missions/jobs to gain experience and wealth, which you will then use directly by investing your money in colonies, ship parts, or your faction. You'll generate ships by collecting or building new ship components and assemble them into ships ranging from simple freighters to battle-ready warships. There is an enormous pvp element here, due to the in-game system-control element and colony protection. Your colonies will generate revenue based on the materials they can gather from whatever planet they're on, which you can use these resources to either make money, components for ships or colonies, or for trade.

There's a lot of game here, and most of it is widely untapped seeing as it's so new. There's an enormous galaxy to explore and control, and in this game's young life so far there are a lot of people willing to travel out into the unknown to get their piece of the pie.

I really can't do the game justice here, for more information you should check out their site at http://outer-empires.com/ where you'll find forums, a wiki of helpful information, and the game's web-client where you can try it out for yourself. Having come from CozyQuest I was itching for a game that had an MMO-feel to it, but also a development team that was paying attention (Thanks Paul). After CQ was left for dead by it's lead developer (he's back apparently, but it would seem it's a bit too late for a lot of people) I wanted something fresh that would not only entertain, but captivate me. So far, Outer-Empires has wildly succeeded at both.

16. Paul Hutson

Jun 20, 2009
    I think the Sushibox has touched on a load of good points regarding OE.

As you can see there is a lot of scope in the game... one of the most interesting bits to me is the in game politics, and, even just a week after the browser version has gone live we've already seen things starting to move.

The current political state of the galaxy is this :

The GVMT controls the main regions and jump gate end points, while many factions have started to colonise the regions around those areas of space.

A faction tagged DERP has begun pirating activities outside gvmt areas (where PVP is open) and is taking out larger factions vessels and colonies. They're also expanding their space holdings too.

At the same time, all of the larger factions have formed an alliance (these are IRON, DARK, FLEET and AF) primarily to provide protection against DERP and it's attacking and to actively attack back.

What is interesting is that both sides have started to use the in game news service as a tool to promote their own reasons for doing what they are.

On top of that a number of spies have been foiled already... and offers of double agents agreed and rejected. All interesting to watch.

There are several other factions that are also gaining ground all over the galaxy (it's big... very big...).

To see the current state of the galaxy, click on the image below... (then click on the green bits that you'll see in the galaxy to zoom in).

[​IMG]

.. as has been said, you can try out the web version of the game here : http://gameview.outer-empires.com

17. yournothere

yournothere Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2009
    I like that i can do whatever that i want, but i didnt know it was a trading type of game.

18. TheBeastlyNinja

TheBeastlyNinja Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Computer stuff
    Right behind you
    How much? Will there be a free and paid version?

19. Paul Hutson

Jun 20, 2009
    That's not the whole game - you don't have to trade at all, it's just one thing you can do if you want... there's fighting, colonising, manufacture, mining, etc, etc type options as well

$2 for the app, then a subscription fee after level ten of $3.99 per month (although cheaper if you pay for longer in advance - $10.99 for three months, $19.99 for six months, $37.99 for a year and then, for the first month only, a lifetime option of $99.99)

20. Paul Hutson

Jun 20, 2009