iPhone Battle Academy by slitherine Ltd.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Werechihuahua, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Slitherine Iain

Slitherine Iain Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
  2. PraetorianX

PraetorianX Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    50 bucks for a IOS game? Damn son, you should go outside more often....

3. perricoach

perricoach Member

Apr 3, 2012

Beat the first mission after several tries, starting to understand it a bit, cool game, retina update was noticeable and I thought it looked decent to begin with.

Controls are smooth, I picked it up pretty quickly once I got going.

I've probably spent 100 bucks max on all apps for my iphone and iPad over the past couple years and I'm not sure I could tell you it's going to be worth it in the long run but I'm going to keep at it and hope I become a better player with time.

I can see why a game like this cost $20, think its about the max I'd pay for any game on an idevice, still wish it was $10, but a solid game I think I'll enjoy more as I play it. If you have an interest in WWII history/games, give it a shot if you got a spare $20 in your app store budget.

4. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    I'm having a blast so far, very well worth the price. This types of games are perfect for the Ipad and this will be the app i would keep for a very long time.

5. Slitherine Iain

Slitherine Iain Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Thanks guys - if you like please remember to rate & review it. It really helps! :)

6. marker1c

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    Will do that. This revives my interest in ios gaming quite nicely.

7. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    Just put a review on the UK Appstore. Now I'm three missions in, impressions are a absorbing stragety game in which you have to think about what you are doing. A great game and full credit to the devs for porting this game across from pc / mac.
    My question to slitherine is have got any plans bring more of your games to IOS and are you planning anymore expansion packs?

8. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Reading their forums, "Conquest! Medieval Realms" is coming to Android and IOS devices pretty soon.

9. perricoach

perricoach Member

Apr 3, 2012
    A note from those who purchase, for your consideration. Although I paid 20 for this game I'm not sure I could justify it again in future. Consider going with a ten dollar price point going forward, as I think you could put off those who would look forward to your future titles.

10. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    More than half of them?

11. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    A late warning for those who are low on free space on iPads with ios5: the latest BA update erased all my campaign proceedings, and I think it happened because of low disk space (at least I hope so - it would be nasty to lose campaign status just because updating).

My iPad is constantly hovering at 2gb free space (some large games and a lot music making apps eat the space), and the new memory management "feature" which came with ios5 is stupidly aggressive. To be fair, Battle Academy is not the only app suffering from lost data & iap content when storage space gets low, but I wish it would get fixed.

12. mcarthon

mcarthon Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Umm my save file is gone. Is it auto save? Are all campaign missions available from the start I'm slightly confused. I played about 3 missions including the tutorial. Do I replay them or jus start where I left off.

13. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Don't worry about your progress being lost, as you can play any scenario at any time. Achievements and save games are most likely gone forever, though hopefully an update will keep this from happening again.

I'm also hanging around 2gb of free space, and I think all my saves etc. vanished when I dipped below 1.7 or so.

14. PipFromSlitherine

PipFromSlitherine Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Sorry about the lost data guys. As you say, the data sweeps seem to be a lot more aggressive than past experience or the docs seem to suggest. We are going to fix this in the next update.

I'm not sure how deleting a few Mb of saves is a vital task when you get below 2Gb of space, but iOS knows best! :).

Cheers

Pip

15. mcarthon

Feb 21, 2009
    It looks as though It still shows I have completed those missions because I have a check mark on the stars. Im guessing completing missions and the save file are two separate things. What can you save? Like maps and multiplayer stuff?

Thx

16. mcarthon

Feb 21, 2009
    Can your units get out of retreat/surrender mode?

17. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    Thanks! It's not a critical problem, but nice to hear a fix is coming.

BTW, Battle Academy is my top game on iPad at the moment - I'm a long time board/computer war gamer, but getting older is taking its toll (nearing fifty here) and the "serious" war games feel a bit too long winded and taxing nowadays. Slitherine has hit the sweet spot with Battle Academy, Panzer Corps and Field of Glory, which I enjoy playing on PC. Any possibility of porting these other games to IOS too? iPad is an excellent platform for turn based strategy games.

18. perricoach

perricoach Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Yeah that's what I was getting at, or perhaps the flip side where you could potentially attract more than twice the amount of purchasers. All I'm saying is build hype with reviews based on the quality of this port, then hit the ground running with a game of the same quality for the half the price.

I think it's a great strategy

19. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    It seems counterproductive to me. You're going to cannibalize ongoing sales of the existing game that you've built a strong reputation for, if you undercut it on price with your own game. One of the most important things on the App Store, if you're going for a high-price strategy (as opposed to a 99 cent strategy) is to keep the income stream going, all of the additional sales by non-early adopters are pure profit.

What could work great is giving discounts to people who buy several games. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't allow any of that.

20. marker1c

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    Im addicted to this game. Especially the MP part, I hope we can set up a TA MP tournament :)