Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08-28-2013, 10:18 PM
Exact-Psience Exact-Psience is offline
Senior Member
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 15,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
I'm not all that impressed with this one. It's alright, a decent endless runner, but I had more fun with dream chaser, runbot, and ironman 3.

Worth a try i guess.
Dream Chaser and Iron Man 3 were great runner titles, while Runbot, besides being an eye candy, didnt have anything new to offer the genre. Reliance Games' After Earth had more to offer than RunBot in terms of content, and variety.

Max Steel on the other hand, does fall short on a lot of things. Swipes are occasionally not responsive, the graphics arent too sharp, although the art-style is really good, the battles are a refreshing addition to the genre, but i got to the city mission and the difficulty of the battles just ramped up exponentially, maybe they need to rebalance and ease it up a bit. The projectiles shot by enemies on run mode are annoying as there are times you'll have no choice but to jump over them, only to bump at the enemy who fired it.

One thing that Max Steel did right, was the pay model. I bought the doubler, and everything just felt more affordable with only a couple runs. Of course the later upgrades will probably need a bit of grind, but it doesnt take too long til you can afford the next upgrade.

The tilt on the boss and subboss finishers are a little annoying, but i guess they work ok here.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-29-2013, 06:35 AM
awp69 awp69 is offline
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 8,255
Default

Only played the first level but I'm quite enjoying this so far. Maybe it's playing on a 4S as opposed to an iPad but the swipes are actually quite responsive for me.

I'll have to see about the difficulty curve as I progress. That may change my opinion. Only thing I downloaded last night (not really into Terreria/Junk Jack/Minecraft-type games).
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-29-2013, 08:44 AM
Patrick@Chillingo Patrick@Chillingo is offline
Member
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 81
Default

Hey everyone, I'm here to answer any questions you might have about the Max Steel game. Ask away, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-29-2013, 09:51 AM
saansilt saansilt is offline
👮 Spam Police 🚓
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,850
Default

Its got bad slowdown on the iphone 4. Real bad.
Otherwise fun.
Edit: Also, guys tap the arrows at the screen's edge. It works much better that way.
Patrick, this is now my favorite runner.

Last edited by saansilt; 08-29-2013 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-30-2013, 02:04 AM
Patrick@Chillingo Patrick@Chillingo is offline
Member
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saansilt View Post
Its got bad slowdown on the iphone 4. Real bad.
Otherwise fun.
Edit: Also, guys tap the arrows at the screen's edge. It works much better that way.
Patrick, this is now my favorite runner.
Thanks! I'm glad you like it
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-30-2013, 04:58 AM
Connector Connector is offline
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In the Chatroom
Posts: 15,759
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Dream Chaser and Iron Man 3 were great runner titles, while Runbot, besides being an eye candy, didnt have anything new to offer the genre. Reliance Games' After Earth had more to offer than RunBot in terms of content, and variety.

Max Steel on the other hand, does fall short on a lot of things. Swipes are occasionally not responsive, the graphics arent too sharp, although the art-style is really good, the battles are a refreshing addition to the genre, but i got to the city mission and the difficulty of the battles just ramped up exponentially, maybe they need to rebalance and ease it up a bit. The projectiles shot by enemies on run mode are annoying as there are times you'll have no choice but to jump over them, only to bump at the enemy who fired it.

One thing that Max Steel did right, was the pay model. I bought the doubler, and everything just felt more affordable with only a couple runs. Of course the later upgrades will probably need a bit of grind, but it doesnt take too long til you can afford the next upgrade.

The tilt on the boss and subboss finishers are a little annoying, but i guess they work ok here.
I don't quite understand why you dislike runbot so much, I think it is a great fun game with alot of eye candy, even looks pretty close to a console game, and looks absolutely beautiful on hdmi tv.

I do generally agree with your points, and part of the difference of opinion is probably because you like endless runners alot, while I am a casual fan of the genre.

So I don't play far into endless runners usually playing them only minutes at a time, so never feel the grind or the paywalls much at all.

So balance to me isn't probably nearly as important to me as it would to you.

But I can see it from your point too.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-30-2013, 07:42 AM
saansilt saansilt is offline
👮 Spam Police 🚓
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,850
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick@Chillingo View Post
Thanks! I'm glad you like it
No prob.

Will you guys be working on the slowdown?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Exact-Psience Exact-Psience is offline
Senior Member
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 15,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
I don't quite understand why you dislike runbot so much, I think it is a great fun game with alot of eye candy, even looks pretty close to a console game, and looks absolutely beautiful on hdmi tv.

I do generally agree with your points, and part of the difference of opinion is probably because you like endless runners alot, while I am a casual fan of the genre.

So I don't play far into endless runners usually playing them only minutes at a time, so never feel the grind or the paywalls much at all.

So balance to me isn't probably nearly as important to me as it would to you.

But I can see it from your point too.
Spent over 10 hours in between RunBot soft-release and my PH-account RunBot, so i have to say i did enjoy it.

It's just that i think it's a little inferior in terms of gameplay. It sure is one of the best looking runners on the appstore no doubt.

But if you spend a lot of time on all these runner games, graphics isnt something you put your attention into all the time. <-- Very reason why games the likes of Canabalt, Ski Safari or Polara are still much more easily recommended.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-03-2013, 04:36 PM
undeadcow undeadcow is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,757
Default

Touch Arcade forums’ Game of the Week

Max Steel was successfully nominated for voting in contest for the Touch Arcade forums’ Game of the Week. Voting will occur over the following 3 days at the link below. Developers may not vote for their own games. New user votes will be subject to review.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2957721
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent