Wayward Souls - Pixel Art Debate

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jyhjyh, Apr 23, 2014.

1. jyhjyh

jyhjyh Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Denmark
    Why do every game have retro Graphics?

Hello - I have retina display on my iPad!

I want nice 2014 retina graphics!

2. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    This game features stunning art and fantastic lighting, not to mention a silky smooth framerate. And yes, it has support for retina iPads as well. So it does have "nice 2014 retina graphics!". Just because the art style does not match your tastes does not mean the graphics are not "nice".

3. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Actually now that I'm mostly on cellular network I preffer games that aren't over 100 MB.
    Retro graphic discussion is pointless , some people like it others don't but they usually sell well so you better accept them as a normal part of App Store.

4. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Going to have to agree to disagree with you on this Sapphire. These are retro graphics plain and simple. Inifinity Blade, The Collectables etc are impressive graphics and in my mind games like Sword and Sworcery or Limbo are "art style" graphics.

My opinion on the matter is the same as jyhjyh, too many "pixel art" games for my tastes. Not as though it matters a damn to the gameplay either way and this one does look really good so I'm going to give it a go.

5. brighteyes74

brighteyes74 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Harrow , England
    Yeah I had retro graphics when I was young I'm now 39 and want decent graphics
    I love some retro games but not all the time.
    Anyway I'm not forced to buy it, if it floats your boat then enjoy.

6. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#6 Bronxsta, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    What exactly are "decent" graphics? If you're talking great lighting, atmospheric areas, varied detailed enemy designs, cool visuals effects and little touches, Wayward Souls has that in spades.

Pixel graphics do not equate to retro graphics.

7. wingsofdestiny89

wingsofdestiny89 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2012
    SG
    Perhaps you forgot your 3D glasses; try it, the graphics will have a huge jump in quality!!

8. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    You admit that you prefer a different style of graphics, that's perfectly fine. We all have different tastes. However, no one can objectively say the graphics in this game are not "nice" and more to the point of the original post, are not "nice 2014 retina graphics!".

9. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    People are actually complaining about "retro" graphics still? Crazy.

10. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    I would not call this games graphics retro but yeah

11. ZeroOmegaZX

ZeroOmegaZX Active Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Network Admin
    Upstate NY
    People like you are the reason we can't have nice things. *Better* graphics means more time and money devoted to that instead of gameplay. I'd rather have a great game with great gameplay than a polished turn of horrible gameplay and *groundbreaking* graphics. Your mindset is what has driven the industry into a downward spiral and led to stagnation in gameplay.

12. jyhjyh

jyhjyh Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Denmark
    I do not disagree with you, some games are more graphics than gameplay.

I hope you will read my other posts in this thread ;)

13. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    As a general stylistic device, I think retro graphics has become one of the primary go-to cost reduction principles for indie games. (which I know from experience can make a drastic difference). And yeah, it leads to some pretty unattractive games, in comparison to high-rez hand-painted art, triple A 3D rendering, etc.

However, my guess is that it also leads to games that are more feature-complete, longer, deeper, and far more ambitious, thanks to the removal of so many limitations brought about by easily reproducible graphics. It has taken me some time to commit this idea to mind and accept the retro trend, but with this realization I can look past the retro paradigm. Most of the time.

I do still, however, think that there are *extremely* few instances where retro graphics beat out highly detailed, non-pixelated graphics. And almost equally few where pixelated graphics really are thematically appropriate, or contribute to immersion or atmosphere. I also believe some developers (knowingly or reflexively) present retro graphics as the perfect fit for their concept and gameplay, or lean hard on the supposed charm of the style, when it really is just a way to slim down the projected budget.

I believe Wayward Souls is particularly well suited for the retro theme, in both nostalgic allusion and gameplay. Would I have preferred it to look similar to, say, The World Ends With You (a good example of detailed, high-rez drawn character models with smooth animation, no?), or Bastion? Yeah. I really would. But not at the expence of just about anything else in the game.

So if the game does truly well, we'll see all additional characters added along the way?

Yeah, tip jars should possibly be in every indie iOS game, ever. I seem to recall that Punch Quest had a particularly nice implementation, with superficial rewards for tips, as an afterthought, but enough to make every extra dollar just a little bit more fun to give away.

14. JMan121314

JMan121314 Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2014
    #14 JMan121314, Apr 23, 2014
    I totally agree with this statement... makes no sense to me, I don't even think it's any easier to make retro graphics. I suppose retro is so popular on iOS devices because it require less graphics performance to run smooth, not sure...

Though at times I have played some retro games that were pretty enjoyable.

15. Bronxsta

You're assuming that pixel art - well good pixel art - is easy to do or somehow make the graphics "retro" or developers use the style to charm people or appeal to nostalgia. Yes, often pixel art is used due to budgetary reasons. But is it that hard to accept that other times it's used simply because that's the art style the developer prefers? As an artistic choice?

And like I said in the Dark Slash thread, pixel art is not a trend. Pixel art does not make a game or its graphics "retro". It's been around for decades and it's not going away. It's just another art style to use, no better or worse than any other style.

16. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Pixel art graphics in games requires more effort then 3d graphics just so you know. and please stop using retro. its pixel art / 2d graphics.

17. Bronxsta

Some more examples of pixel art:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #18 Ayjona, Apr 23, 2014
    Not "assuming". Hence "which I know from experience can make a drastic difference".

And no, it is not hard to accept that other times, it might be used for stylistic purposes or personal preference. Hence "some developers (knowingly or reflexively) present retro graphics as the perfect fit for their concept and gameplay, or lean hard on the supposed charm of the style, when it really is just a way to slim down the projected budget".

Some, not "all", not even "many".

I used a very specific, clear-cut wording, to intentionally avoid suspicions that I would imply that all pixel art is a lazy excuse, only used to save money, etc (and added a very proud "I think" to the part where I state it rarely beats out high-rez hand-drawn art, to indicate a personal opinion). Strange how that still has no effect on the perceptions of readers :D

Better or worse, just another art style, etc, still has no bearing or whether or not it is a trend. A trending concept is determined by whether the idea has increased in popularity or usage recently. And this certainly seems true for pixel art in a variety of fields.

No, as a general rule, it really, really doesn't. But then, I was comparing primarily to high-rez hand-painted 2D art, which blows the scale further out of proportion.

19. InkyTheGhost

InkyTheGhost Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    @Bronxsta
    Where are those image from? Awesome stuff.

20. Bronxsta