Fleet Commander (First Screen)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by FleetCommander, May 19, 2009.

1. FleetCommander

May 19, 2009
    #1 FleetCommander, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
    Here's the first image of the upcoming Fleet Commander game.
    The concept is somewhat similar to Flight Control...try to land as many planes as possible. However, you have missiles to deal with.

There are 2 modes of play:
    - Flight Mode (land as many planes as possible)
    - Destroy Mode (destroy as many planes as possible)

[​IMG]

2. FleetCommander

May 19, 2009
    I know one screen and a few sentences isn't much to go on, but what do you guys think?

Any helpful comments or constructive criticism?

Any feature requests?

Thanks

3. hazmat95

hazmat95 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    i think it looks great, but on the carrier you can see other planes that are like 1/10 the size of the main ones, try to create a picture without any planes on deck. and a friendly warning, dont bump 2 much or ull get banned

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    well the plane should be flying much higher than the carrier so it makes sense.

I'd probably have the planes scale down as they get closer to the carrier and maybe add a light haze to the carrier so it doesn't stand out from the water.

The premise of the game sounds good though

5. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I'm somewhat holding back from what I want to say just because I feel it's biased. But I'll say it anywho as it may strike some other points.
    I don't think I like the look of the 'real' still backdrop, especially if it's a still. It feels too much like I'm playing a game on a picture, which essentially, is what I'd be doing. This may be the style you want to go with, but personally, I'm not a huge fan of it only because it's lifeless. Something about seeing the ocean waves not moving would bother me a lot.
    I don't mean to put your work down, but your asking for constructive criticism and I'm being honest.

6. Tower Defender

Tower Defender Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #6 Tower Defender, May 19, 2009
    Use a gif file :D. Problem solved.

And I hope the planes slowly decrease in size as it descends onto the aircraft carrier. Same goes for the missile, but instead, it increases in size as it goes upwards. Right now, it does kind of look out of place, due to the size difference.

I also think it would be cool if in one of the missions the aircraft carrier has to switch locations and you'll have to land on it as it is moving.

7. FleetCommander

May 19, 2009
    #7 FleetCommander, May 19, 2009
    The water is fully animated :)
    I can't post a video of the gameplay just yet but here is the water that will make its way into the final build.

8. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    What mainly turns me away is the use of 'realistic' graphics. Meaning that most elements of the game are based of pictures/imagery or a recording (such as the water)
    Or is that computer generated? o_0

If it's CG, then color me impressed.

9. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    #9 hkiphone, May 19, 2009
    realism causes it's own problems

I second VoodooVyper's feelings. The moving waves looks good, but that escalates the problems you will now have:
    - planes need to scale properly going higher or lower. How the do you know if the plane is going to land or just circling next to the carrier? Will that cause CPU loading?
    - planes need to bank correctly. Turning like a hairpin should cause a greater banking than a 45deg turn.
    - will the waves reflect off the carrier properly?
    - will the planes cast shadows? Even at different heights?
    - will the missles exhibit the same flight issues as above? Or do they just shoot straight?

Sorry if this sounds too negative, it's not meant to put you down, just honest opinions on what I would say if it turns out as I think it might, extrapolating from your clip.
    The reason why Flight Control works so well is that it's a cartoony graphics game, so realism is absent. Maybe if you filter the visuals into a pencil-sketch like imagery it mght make it easier to accept limitations?
    For the record I have the same problem playing graphic intensive console games that look amazing then you have enemy guns sticking right through barriers because of poor clipping, or you have the character running into to walls hoping to find hidden passages: kills the realism that was their key selling point.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    The water looks like a photo thus I think it won't move and won't reflect anything either. Maybe you should create original graphics.

11. KittyGotSued

KittyGotSued Active Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Didn't you see the video a few post above yours?

12. FleetCommander

May 19, 2009
    Hi guys,

We'll be open to beta testing next week. If you'd like to beta test the game please send me a private message.

Thanks

13. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm a little worried about that water, looking at the last frame vs. the first frame it doesn't loop properly, is the water going to loop or just stop animating once the video is done?

Also, based on the first screenshot, the game looks more like a hodgepodge of elements, like a collage, rather than something with similar perspectives and whatnot.

Lastly, the water moves way too fast for how far away you are supposed to be.

But until we see all of these things on the same screen, will we really know for sure.

14. FleetCommander

May 19, 2009
    you are 100% correct. We had to do away with the posted water animation and create the water ourselves using 3D software. I'll post the new water shortly.

15. FleetCommander

May 19, 2009
    #15 FleetCommander, May 21, 2009
    Last edited: May 21, 2009
    Here's the new water and a new screen shot. The water is fully software rendered by our team.
    We've also implemented scaling so it looks realistic when the planes land.

Actual gameplay footage coming soon.

[​IMG]

16. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    Still not sure how I feel about the aircraft carrier. All I can think of is Google Earth when I see it... Do you have a video of the gameplay?