iPad The Quest

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BrushMyNoseOff, Feb 20, 2009.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The Quest is essential even if you have to play it blurry.

2. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I tried playing it on 2x mode, but did not like it.. things we're getting way to blurry.
    It's a shame, cause I have the game and all the expansions, but never played it anymore since I got an Ipad.

3. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    How about playing it in 1x mode? I don't get why so many games' text are so blurry in 2x mode recently. They were ugly but readable when I first got my iPad 2...

4. Catacomber

Catacomber Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    http://www.zaristagames.com/
    NYC
    We're making a new expansion. I hope it will look all right. We're also making shiny new games outside of the Quest that should not be blurry--but I notice one thing about the latest rpg games I download for my humble ipod---they crash a lot and some of them I can't play. So I guess there are various trade-offs depending on which platform you're using. I have no control over the blurriness and this might be our last expansion but I hope it will work. : )

5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Thank you for the continued expansions; hopefully this is not the last!

6. thedouche

thedouche Member

Feb 14, 2013
    I probably played the base game and the first two expansions for well over a hundred hours a year or so ago. Recently QuestLord got my first person RPG engine revved up and I'm deep within the Quest once again. Last time that I quit playing it was due to getting my ass handed to me repeatedly in the second Hero of Lukomere expansion. What is the best type of build to go with to hang in there through the expansions?

My current character is a Nogur with talents in Heavy Armor, Heavy Weapons, Repair, Heal Magic, Block, and Protection magic. I've also been developing Mind magic (mostly for paralyze) and environmental magic (quite heavily for enchanting to increase an item's worth/do lower level enchantments, making food, and recharging my paralysis wands).

I really love the game. Its amazing that something that can be played with one hand in vertical view mode can be so fricking hard care.

7. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Will you add iCloud savegame for The Quest?

Also does it mean that you are working on The Quest II, a totally new RPG, or a totally different game after the last expansion?

8. thedouche

thedouche Member

Feb 14, 2013
    I was really stuck on how to upgrade my character/mithril armor and said the hell with it and decided to get around some of my Nogur magic weakness. I enchanted the Mithril Armour with 30% magic resist (only had access to enchantress with 450 right now), I bought a helmet with 20% magic resist, and I bought some pants and gloves that were weakly/mildly enchantable and added about another 10% magic resist. I went from being a magic sensitive Nogur to having 44% magic resistance. I also went ahead and bought a heavy dragon blade and enchanted it with +30 heavy weapon.

I took my character into some woods loading with barbarians and magic users and mopped the floor with everyone without healing or even casting a spell.

9. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    #2769 Catacomber, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
    We, Zarista Games, are working on a totally different game. You can see a prequel at our website www.zaristagames.com if you go way up to the top and hit Celtic Cave. You need the Unity webplayer and you need to give it a chance to load all the 3d graphics but we're working on it for ios. : )

There are a number of nice games for ios made with the Unity engine and we think it's a great engine. So working. . .

But first am finishing Celtic Doom for the Quest expansion. : ) We've been loyal as we can be to the Quest. It hurts to hear it has some graphical problems on ipad. (I don't have one.) We (Zarista) can't do anything about that. But then some of the nicest, shinest newest rpg games don't play that well on a humble ipod without crashing, so we know there's a trade off between old stuff and new stuff. When you have a trilogy and you have only the deuceology out there or whatever you want to call the second in the series, you have to get the last one done--the thirdology. : ) So we're working on it and I'm enjoying putting it in. It will probably be our last and that will be sad for me but we have to live with the limits we have and go on.

3d is nice. : ) Unity is nice. : ) And our new games will be so comfortable--we hope they will feel like smelly, old, comfortable shoes to you when we get them done.

10. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    Magic is a bit hard to work with in the later expansions so I too am a Nogur.
    : ) The key to doing well in the second Lukomorye expansion is to get cured of that bad, bad disease that cripples you. : ) If you can do that, you should be ok. : )

11. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Thanks for your long reply Catacomber. Strong supporter of The Quest here, and I had bought all the expansions. I will grab Celtic Doom too, once it is released.

Now to find enough time to play it all... :)

12. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    Lol. :) I think many of our players play during meetings and other times when it's either play Words with Friends or the Quest. : )

13. stbassy

stbassy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 7, 2011
    about max skill and max stat

I read elsewhere that, normally, max skill is 100. But if it can be pushed past 100 if: (a) *all* your skills are 100, and you have extra skill-points left over, you can distribute them to reach 100+
    (b) if you've reached 100, and then read a book that adds +X more points.

Is any of this true?

And... there are permanent +stat potions? Do those push your stat past ... 100? (or whatever the limit is).

Frankly, do we even need 100? I remember playing morrowind and got 100 stat, but by then the character is so over powered I can 'box' the final boss to death.

14. stbassy

stbassy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 7, 2011
    oh... and I've purchased all the expansions except for Asteroids. So I'm going for the long haul!
    that is... assuming I don't get sick of my character and decide to change race and start from scratch.

15. LanceAvion

LanceAvion Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    You say that there is nothing you can do about the graphical problems on the iPad. Does that mean that there's no way for you to include iPhone 5 widescreen support as well?

16. Gunlock

Gunlock Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    I would like to know that as well. I have The Quest Gold + all of the available expansions and since I upgraded to iPhone 5 I haven't played the game because it's not very comfortable (I don't mind it's not retina).

17. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    When you say widescreen support, do you mean to shift the controls to the sides or to fill up the screen with gameplay graphics, because I don't think the latter would be coming due to the cost associated with changing the art assets to support widescreen.

Think of the 1980s Transformers cartoon movie. That was shot in iPhone 4 screen aspect ratio. Then Sony, I think, released a widescreen version. How did they do that? Just by cutting the top and bottom of the picture away. Is that what you are looking for?

I am not the developer.

18. Gunlock

Gunlock Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    I don’t mean changing the graphics aspect ratio or resolution, I’m totally aware that this would require a lot of work, time, costs etc. (especially with a game with so many different mission packs that have many original graphical elements like textures, enemies etc).

Just a simple UI modification. Making use of the additional inches by moving the gameplay area to the left and modifying the controls on the right to fill the screen. Or leaving the gameplay area as it is and filling the ‘black bars’ with modified UI. I sure hope this App Store gem will get this kind of update someday.

I also noticed something interesting, I don't know if it is a hardware problem or something else. I upgraded from a 3GS to 5 (non jailbroken) and when I'm playing The Quest I have a feeling that the animation is noticeably choppier than on a 3GS. Is it the lack of retina support that is causing this impression, or is it something else?

19. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    I feel you bro, that is why I tend to download the iPad versions as I can't stand those black bars either.

As for running worse on an iPhone 5, no idea. I only game on my iPad 2 nowadays. I can't see myself going back to playing on an iPhone due to the iPad's larger screen. Size matters. :)

20. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    Celtic Doom will be out shortly for the Quest. It's our 13th or 14th expansion, I forget which. You can get there from Matras. : )