Galcon Strategy/Questions

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Brazilian Rider, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    OK, before everyone comes in here and yells, yes, I know there is a Galcon thread underneath this one but it's about the update and not strategy. Yes, I have also used the thing up there ^^^ (search button).

Anyways, I'm going to give my little rant and then you people who know Galcon will help. Then when another person has a rant other people will help and so on. If you want to post strategies feel free, but if they're stolen don't say I didn't warn you.

My rant:

In some games, I see another player populate planets that are 20-30 uh... ships? Anyways, after they capture that planet they should theoretically have 80-70 ships left on their home planet. In many games they then 100% and send only their home planet ships at me.

On my side, I have captured one territory of 10 and then left the rest on my home world. I see the ships coming at me and relax because there is no way they should take me over. However, they take over my home planet and then have enough ships to take over the planet I just captured.

How does this happen? I tried the same technique to the other players, except in a more logical way: I wait until they have purchased two or three planets and then 100% and send all my home planets at their now-weakend home planet. However, without transfering any ships I still can't capture their planet!

This has happened many times and it frustrates me to no end. How can I prevent/ stop this from happening?!

2. Hobbes

Hobbes Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Different colors are stronger?

3. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    different colors aren't better!

4. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Different colors aren't better. The size of planets does matter though, bigger planets give you a new ship faster. (For example a small planet only gives you a new ship every 3 seconds while a large planet gives you a new ship every second. This is just an example, I don't know the real amounts)

But I believe that in the beginning, all the starting planets should have the same size.

What could happen is this:
    If you attack the 10 planet with 50%, you'll have only 50% of your ships left on your home planet, the other ships are all on your new planet.
    If your opponent attack the 25 planet with 25%, he will still be able to take over that planet, but he will have 75% left on his home planet.

If you then attack 75% of his ships with 50% of your ships, you won't win.

So the important part here is: How many % of your ships do you send out to attack the first planet?

5. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    i've been wondering that too, what's most ideal?

6. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I tend to be very conservative in my expansion. I like to choose on or two big planets with small numbers of ships required to capture and then let my ships build up. I tend to use 75% when capturing so I can be sure to hold the planet. There are a ton of ways to win and play so everyone has to find the strategy that works for them. I am by no means a Galcon expert, so my methods probably won't hold up against the better players.

7. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    I don't think there is a definite answer. You can send 100% and have the risk that the opponent will take your home planet, but if you've used your ships to capture a bigger planet (you get new ships faster) that only had 5 ships on it, it can be totally worth it.

The really important question overall (not just in the situation that the topic starter described) is: What to do immediately at the beginning?
    You should look around and see which planets are really close to you.
    Look for planets that only have very few 'ships' on them. They are cheap to get. And the bigger they are, the better! If planets are very small, they might not be worth it. You won't earn a lot from them, so it may take a long time to earn back the amount of ships it has cost you.
    If planets are big, it's a very good investment to get it if it's cheap.

In general: if you expand at a low cost early in the game, you'll be stronger later.

There are always people who assume that you're going to expand as soon as possible with 50%, and then immediately send 100% of their forces to your home planet and then chase you. They'll probably win, but this is how 'evil' people play. They only want to increase their stats and not have a challenging match. If you play against someone like this, simply leave the room and avoid them.

Finally, if there are no cheap planets nearby, you'll have to look a bit farther away. This does bring a problem: your ships will be in the air for a long time. In that time, your opponent may have already captured a new planet, and he'll be getting new ships already. The closer and cheaper the planets are, the sooner you start expanding.

So the layout of the map is very important, and that's something you can't influence. What's most important in the first few seconds *IF you're playing against a honest player!* is how you react to the map. (You also need to keep an eye on your opponent, just to see his strategy, but an honest player will first look for how to expand, in most cases.)

8. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    Very good point. If you get 10 planets early in the game, even if they´re very cheap, you´ll still be weak. If you´re expanding too fast, your fleet might not be able to regenerate in that time.

9. Mohawk

Mohawk Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    How to do i get thru the 7 stage in galcon .having tough time to win..any tips/tricks will be helpful

10. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    does anyone know any strategies to defend against those who send all their ships at you at once

11. Blaqkie

Blaqkie Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    All I could say is, play Galcon more, and learn different strategies while playing. I don't think there is definite strategy other than "Getting Lucky".

On the side note: I got the rank of Admiral - Two Stripes today! Woot! I'm of the best Galcon-er's. :p

(Ranks: http://www.galcon.com/iphone/ranks.php)

12. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Honestly, you can't do much. Try to send out your ships ASAP, or as soon as you see theirs coming. Just when you capture their planet, redirect all the ships that are in the air and aim them back at your planets that your oppenent just took. Wait until the last minute, and then send all the ships from the first planet you captured back to your own planets...

It's hard to explain. Basically, just keep exchanging ships from your old planet to his old planets, and see how it goes. Many different situations require many different strategies, so don't be afraid to experiment.

And if a person is constantly just going at you from the get-go, just leave the room

13. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Is there any way to pick a room with players of a particular rank level? Doesnt look like it.

I am now winning some, but I got owned very badly while starting out, lost like 12 in a row.