Are Blood Bros Arcade Machine and Lawnmower Retro Arcade compatible with iCade?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GAMESHARQ, Aug 8, 2014.

1. GAMESHARQ

GAMESHARQ Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Earth
    #1 GAMESHARQ, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    I recently picked up these 2 apps and they are great. I'm thinking of picking up an ION iCade arcade cabinet to play them, but I'd like to make sure they are compatible first. Does anyone know?

Also, what about the Ion iCade Core Arcade Game Controller for iPad and iPad2 (ICG05)? (the one that is just a base with no top)

2. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    I'm not sure about iCade. They're completely compatible with all of the official MFi controllers, though. It's not a stretch to imagine they also have iCade support.

3. GAMESHARQ

Aug 1, 2011
    Earth
    I hate to sound like a noob, but what is an MFi controller and do they require programming or can I just connect and play?

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    MFi = Made For iOS. They are controllers created specifically for iOS devices.

5. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    Yep, they're controllers that use Apple's own game controller API, and are sold by Apple in their stores.

iCade was a hack where controllers pretended to be keyboards, and was only really important before Apple implemented true controller support. The use of fake key presses makes the controllers much more limited than real MFi controllers.

6. GAMESHARQ

Aug 1, 2011
    Earth
    Interesting. So what controller is everyone using, the SteelSeries Stratus Wireless Gaming Controller? Seems a bit pricey. Are there any other choices?

7. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    There are a few iPhone-case-controllers that lock your phone into them - the Logitech PowerShell, Moga Ace Power are available now, and the Razer Junglecat will be out in a matter of weeks (it is excellent BTW). There is a similar controller for the iPad Mini coming in a few months from Wikipad, called the Gamevice.

The Stratus is the only wireless controller currently available, though a huge amount more are coming in the next few months. The Mad Catz CTRLI (and CTRLI mini), the Hori Horipad, the SteelSeries Stratus XL, the Moga Rebel, the Signal RPOne, the TteSports controller - tons of options, including potentially more that haven't been announced. Lots of options on the horizon!

8. GAMESHARQ

Aug 1, 2011
    Earth
    Cool, thanks. I guess I'll wait and see what the future holds.