iPhone Spectromancer HD - by Three Donkeys

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Estarh

Estarh Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Sorry, no. We have no detailed enough card images for this.

2. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    As I mentioned on your forums, you could improve the image quality of the cards on the iPad 3, just not the larger images. Can you roll this in?

See these images on an iPad 3: http://www.spectromancer.com/cardlist_en.htm

3. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
    Got it! Thanks very much for the help. :)

Dave

4. JaysUsernam

JaysUsernam Active Member

Sep 1, 2012
    It really hurts that there's no asynchronous play, especially when it's clone Card Kombat incorporated it beautifully. Either way, still enjoying it as a single player experience-that AI can be deadlly!

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I also love how the game throws in such interesting environmental modifiers via the special cards or conditions BUT would hope that in AI League play the game could have had it where the special conditions weren't always tied to the same opponent. I think it would be more fun if in a duel against ANY of the AI opponents I could be facing a duel where we both only have 40 life, as an example.

6. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    You realize it's the other way around, right? This was the original PC game that Card Kombat was birthed from.

7. JazzFish

JazzFish Active Member

Okay, is anyone else having trouble with online play after upgrading to iOS 6? Now when I tap Online League it just crashes. :(

8. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Works for me on iPad.

9. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Wishing it to be async.....async....async....

Still did not get into the campaign yet but dueling with the Advanced level AI is fun enough.

10. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Hm, any update on the update (no pun intended)? I'm worried about the save corruption problem. Is this already fixed?

And what about the expansion, is it out?

Cheers!

11. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Well this might hold you over in the meantime! They've released a beta on the PC which appears to be fully functional with the only catch that you can only play as the 4 new classes in the upcoming expansion. A very clever way to put the new classes out there for mass balance testing. Think one of these new class powers is broken? Comment as such on their forums and if they agree it might get adjusted.

http://www.spectromancer.com/index.cgi?p=3

12. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Hm, interesting.

Well, I'll probably get the iPad game anyway and test it out as well - most of my limited gaming time happens on my tablet nowadays.

I'll look into the link though :) Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
    Paulo

13. Mid November we should be able to get the new expansion for iPhone or iPad game. I still play this game just about everyday.

Here is the email I got on November 2nd:

The new expansion for Spectromancer - "Gathering of Power" has been released! It is available at www.spectromancer.com

There are four new classes (Warrior Priest, Vampire Lord, Cultist and Golem Master), and the following improvements were made:
    - Visual appearance of the game in fullscreen mode was improved (especially in Windows 7).
    - Campaign was changed. Players now start the campaign with all cards unlocked, and learn upgrades to the cards during the campaign. Upgraded versions of cards are available in the campaign only.
    - Now it is possible to select cards and slots with arrow keys (useful on laptops).
    - Blitz duels were implemented in the online league. Each player has 15 seconds for their turn -- these battles are quick as lightning!
    - Good news for players with unreliable internet connections: now it is possible to reconnect after a broken connection and finish the duel.

Right now the expansion is available on PC only, but in the middle of November it will be available on iOS devices.

When you install the new version over a previously activated one it remains activated. You can also install the new version to a separate folder and unlock it with your old activation code. Choose this option if you want to keep your campaign saves or saved replays. In both cases you will need to purchase a new expansion code to unlock all the expansion functionality.

14. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    If the game gets async mp with this update I'm sold.

15. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #135 LordGek, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    Coolio Beans!

The update is out!

The primary point of it, besides fixing some previous save game issues, is the introduction of 4 new classes (the Warrior Priest for free but Vampire Lord, Cultist, and Golem Master via the latest IAP expansion, "Gathering of Power") as stated by MrBass just 2 posts back!

16. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Woot! I've been looking for an excuse to get back to this.

17. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Still no async? Does the game have any real-time parts to it?

18. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    No but I think it is simply that the turns are so microscopic. At most choosing a single spell and placing it in a lane.

19. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    My quick review

While not having published a Strategy Guide (as opposed to Orions, the previous “big hit” on both iOS and the preceeding Windows Mobile), I've often mentioned I consider the quite new iOS port of “Spectromancer” (AppStore links: small-screen devices; iPad HD) the best card game on iOS. Opinions may differ, of course – I just prefer the way Spectromancer (and the very closely related Orions) is played to that of Magic (the Gathering) 2013 does.

The new upgrade, along some goodies (a brand new opening screen on the iPad; new multiplayer features etc.) offers four brand new classes (Warrior Priest, Vampire Lord, Cultist and Golem Master) available as a new in-app purchase. (One of them is free; the other three are paid.)

Update list (shot from my iPhone 5):
    [​IMG]
    (as with all the other images, click for original!)
    Update list (shot from my Retina iPad):
    [​IMG]

The new class as an IAP on the iPad (the other two packages not shown here as I've previously purchased and installed both):
    [​IMG]

The same on the iPhone 5, showing the two other IAP's:
    [​IMG]

Needless to say, I immediately purchased and played a bit with the new IAP. While I haven't played much so far, I found the new classes (and cards) great.

What's new in addition?

- Blitz mode for multiplayer: Each player has 15 seconds for their turn -- these battles are quick as lightning!

- Reconnection – very important. In the online game, even a simple roaming between Wi-Fi access points (or a short lack of network connection) may result in the quitting of the current game.
    - etc.

The bad:

General issues (both the iPhone and the iPad version)

Still no Universal version. As you will want to purchase all character classes, you may end up having to pay two times for the IAP's. The latter, now, amount to $5.97. (You won't want to play the iPhone version on the iPad. Not only because of the inferior graphics, but also the major inconvenience with the obligatory card descriptions. And, on top of all this, the lack of game saving.)

iPad version-specific only (no such problems on the iPhone version)

The iPad version is unlikely to ever receive full Retina support. I've asked the developers on this matter; he answered (his answer is HERE) this.

iPhone version-specific only (no such problems on the HD version)

- The iPhone version still hasn't been updated to support the 16:9 (iPhone / iPod touch 5) screen. By moving for example spell / unit descriptions in the now-unused screen estate would have been great. (BTW, this is why all the in-game iPhone screenshots are letterboxed in this article.)

- Speaking of these descriptions, it's still impossible to hide them. Unchecking the two checkboxes in Options:
    [​IMG]

still doesn't get rid of them. All you can do to not to see these is drag-and-dropping the cards all the time, which, on the small screen, may sometimes result in the wrong target slot. This (the obligatory description dialog) has always been a major issue. A lot of users have complained about it – too bad the developers still didn't bother fixing it.

- Still impossible to save a game. This is another MAJOR omission in a game, particularly when played in multiplayer. It must be fixed, devs!

- Can't make animations really fast. One of the biggest problems with Spectromancer is that the animations in it are slow-paced compared to e.g. Orions. Even if you drag the slider in the previous screenshot to the rightmost position, the animation will take a lot of time. (And there's no such slider on the iPad version, meaning you can't in any way make animations at least a bit faster.)
    Some additional card descriptions (of the new ones - not all of them!)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    If I were to give a real general gist of these 4 new Spectromancers:

-Warrior Priest: Lots of double edged spells and creatures that can heal your troops while simultaneously damaging your opposition when cast.

-Vampire Lord: Powerful vampiric beings that require their owner to sacrifice a little life to summon.

-Cultist: Fanatics that tend to damage themselves as they hurt the opposition.

-Golem Master: Almost all of the creatures or spells in the Golem Master's bag of tricks are tied to supporting/enhancing the auto-summoned and spell resistant Golem (much like the Hermit's Rabbit).